Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Angry Birds has a big video game franchise built in. I'd say its gonna do pretty decent. It will be interesting to see how Civil War fares in its 3rd weekend ...
    Is Angry birds still a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post
    It is in fact Rovio's only thing. 4 billion plus downloads to date. Monthly comic properties would kill for that kind of casual, general audience base. Never underestimate the power of movies parents and kids can go to together at the start of summer. Outside of comic forums, a lot more people are into properties like angry birds than comic book characters like Iron Man or Batman.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post
    I've never played them but according to a stat . the Angry Birds games have been downloaded 3+ billion times as of 2015. So it seems to be a thing still happening.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

X-Men: Apocalypse is looming as well.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post

That is too far out to really matter.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Angry Birds has a big video game franchise built in. I'd say its gonna do pretty decent. It will be interesting to see how Civil War fares in its 3rd weekend ...
    So does Ratchet and Clank and that movie struggled. At least that Franchise as been going for longer and has more material to work with.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    That comes out three weeks later so most people will have seen CACW by then. Also no X-Men movie has made over 250M domestically(not counting Deadpool). I wonder if this one will break the trend.

I've never played them but according to a stat . the Angry Birds games have been downloaded 3+ billion times as of 2015.
    Right, but how many of those downloads were this year, versus previous years?

Angry Birds was definitely a thing at one point, but it feels like it's been a while since it was really a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    So does Ratchet and Clank and that movie struggled. At least that Franchise as been going for longer and has more material to work with.
    Different types of audiences really. The majority of Angry Birds fans would most likely not identify themselves as gamers. More casual player, mobile player from soccer moms to kids playing on the bus. While Ratchet and Clank fans would be closer to comic fans in terms of being a niche, core group of console gamers that wouldn't, on their own, make much of a significant dent in a film's overall box office. These are my unscientific thoughts of course. I think the combo of angry birds, Neighbors 2 and the Nice Guys opening on the same weekend is the real issue. The latter 2 cutting into part of the same ga demo of Civil War.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Disney dominating isn't at all surprising. Although I think it's important to point out its mostly Zootopia that helped them reach over a billion dollars so fast, Jungle Book and Civil War were just icing on the cake. (Although IMO very poorly tasting icing)

But yea as for competition, I think X-Men: Apocalypse will knock CW off the #1 spot come the 27th. Angry Birds might do well but I don't know it it can put more then a small dent in Disney's armor.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Quote Originally Posted by eckesg1 View Post
    Interesting that some insiders were predicting 200m and it didn't come close. Bested BvS's opening weekend by 15m.

It's drop should not be as bad as BvS's, that's for sure.

But I don't buy that Disney would be fine with 175m. That, to me, sounds like WB being happy with 800m for BvS.
    Disney always projected $175 Million. People projecting more than that were Forbes and others outlets. Not Disney. And yes Disney is very happy with $181 million. Considering they are destined to hit $1 Billion for sure. They should pass BvS by the 18th. and be well on their way to $1 Billion before X-Men Apocalypse hits.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    That comes out three weeks later so most people will have seen CACW by then. Also no X-Men movie has made over 250M domestically(not counting Deadpool). I wonder if this one will break the trend.
    I don't thikn so. The trailers didn't really paint the picture of an amazing or groundbreaking movie like Deadpool. And the X-Franchise does not have the same hype/buzz/excitement... whatever you want to call it... as the MCU or Batman/Superman.

Of course, that's pure speculation on my part.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    I don't thikn so. The trailers didn't really paint the picture of an amazing or groundbreaking movie like Deadpool. And the X-Franchise does not have the same hype/buzz/excitement... whatever you want to call it... as the MCU or Batman/Superman.

Of course, that's pure speculation on my part.
    The X-Men franchise has a decade and a half of momentum and track record behind it. The last X-Men movie (not counting Deadpool which isn't really an X-Men movie) was the most successful one in the franchise's history, and this one returns all of the major players. There's plenty of reason to expect AoA to build on DoFP's success. DoFP earned $233 mill domestically. Breaking $250 wouldn't be much of a task for AoA.

If you go by the average of diminishing returns, movies make roughly 50% of what they made the previous weekend.
    So next weekend CW should make around $80-100M and handily best Money Monster.
    The third weekend CW should make $40-50M. Since both Neighbors2 and Good Guys are rated R, only maybe 20-30 R-rated films have ever opened in the $40-50M range or higher. And only about a third of those were comedies(think Hangover). Also, the original Neighbors, if you'll remember, had a huge successful marketing campaign that this second one hasn't had. As far as Angry Birds, yeah that was big in 2008. But today? People have moved on. And does a huge following for a FREE game app on your phone necessarily translate to a $10 movie ticket purchase? I doubt it.
    So by weekend 4, CW will be down in the $20-30M range. X-Men will easily best that, but CW won't really be XMAs competition that weekend. It'll be Alice 2 fighting for first place. But by that time, CW will already be above $400M Domestic and in first for the entire year, waiting for Rogue One to knock it off in December.

Poor Disney. They have to contend with Rogue One, Civil War, Finding Dory, Jungle Book, and Zootopia all fighting for the top five spots in this years BO Race. Sucks to be them.
    "You can talk your way out of almost anything." - Fortune Cookie Proverb

T. Foolery's unwieldy, yet not entirely unimpressive, collection of funny books.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    The X-Men franchise has a decade and a half of momentum and track record behind it. The last X-Men movie (not counting Deadpool which isn't really an X-Men movie) was the most successful one in the franchise's history, and this one returns all of the major players. There's plenty of reason to expect AoA to build on DoFP's success. DoFP earned $233 mill domestically. Breaking $250 wouldn't be much of a task for AoA.
    Wait and see I guess...

As a side note, I think the quality of the movie will play a role here. DoFP was a really good movie. Will AoA be as good? Who knows...