Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default The Secret History of "Captain Marvel"

With Marvel Studios reportedly casting their Carol Danvers, CBR details her rich comic book history and road to becoming Captain Marvel.

Full article here.

Now more than ever, i want the original captain marvel back. I winder if there's an omnibus somewhere?

That was a considerably nice recap of her story, but why "secret"?
    Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Now more than ever, i want the original captain marvel back. I winder if there's an omnibus somewhere?
    Now more than ever, you shouldn't.

Incredible Member Elegant Dreamer's Avatar

I apologize to sound stupid, but there's still something I can't understand. I know Carol became Binary, but (this where I get confused) somehow regain her old powers when she returned to Earth? Did I miss something?

BANNED

In 1998 Avengers # 4 the comicbook character Carol Danvers was at such a low power level that she went onwards as Warbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegant Dreamer View Post
    I apologize to sound stupid, but there's still something I can't understand. I know Carol became Binary, but (this where I get confused) somehow regain her old powers when she returned to Earth? Did I miss something?
    Carol's cosmic Binary powers diminished because her link to the "white hole" (as opposed to a black hole) that powered her had faded. Her powers scaled back to her Ms. Marvel levels of super strength, durability, and flight (the powers Rogue originally stole from her), but she also retained a portion of the energy absorption/projection she got from her Binary form.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elegant Dreamer View Post
    Her Binary powers are (generally speaking) tied to space. Her power absorbing ability, iirc, came from the Brood, so it's more a question of degree (she lost the strength of her power) than kind. When she's near a black hole or whatever it was in Infinity, she becomes Binary again.

ETA: White Hole, apparently.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    In 1998 Avengers # 4 the comicbook character Carol Danvers was at such a low power level that she went onwards as Warbird.
    I hope they have a Easter Egg in the CM movie referencing her old code name Warbird. Maybe it's her callsign as an Air Force fighter pilot.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    The Italians have one. It's in Italian.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Nice write-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Redvector View Post
    I hope they have a Easter Egg in the CM movie referencing her old code name Warbird. Maybe it's her callsign as an Air Force fighter pilot.
    Her callsign in the comics was "Cheeseburger", because she learned the hard way that it's not a good idea to eat before getting trained in inertia-shifting maneuvers.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Fantastic Member

I really hope the Captain Marvel movie starts with Mar Vell and a rapid paced sequence of his Earth-based antics before getting blown up and his powers shifting to Carol.

Imagine a Superman movie where Superman dies in the middle of the first act and all his powers get transferred to Lois Lane.
    TeekVids <-- Check out the news every Sunday

BANNED

This is one of the few cases where I wish the X-men were part of the MCU since they are integral to Carol's story. From Claremont redeeming her after the rape of Ms Marvel storyline to what happened with Rogue there are whole chunks of her story that will have to be left out. Obviously they should leave out the rape of Ms Marvel storyline but the Rogue stuff is vital.

Incredible Member Elegant Dreamer's Avatar

Thanks to all who answered my question! I really appreciate it! Thank you so much again!

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    This is one of the few cases where I wish the X-men were part of the MCU since they are integral to Carol's story. From Claremont redeeming her after the rape of Ms Marvel storyline to what happened with Rogue there are whole chunks of her story that will have to be left out. Obviously they should leave out the rape of Ms Marvel storyline but the Rogue stuff is vital.
    ...to Rogue. It's not vital at all to Carol. Important in the comics? Absolutely. But not every character needs to carry over every one of their story beats to the movies, certainly not the ones that define them in less-than-great terms. I.e. we've had Downey Jr. as Iron Man for 8 years, creating the premier take on Tony Stark in the public consciousness, and they've never had to go for 'Demon in a Bottle' even though it's the one thing every comics reader brings up about Iron Man. He's "the guy who drinks" just as Jean Grey is "the chick who dies a lot".

I do not want Captain Marvel to be defined, again, as "the chick who got her powers stolen".
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.