Default "Be Civil" and "Treat Creators With Respect" Rules Question

In the context of Community or other general posts and threads on topics such as sexism and sexual harassment in the comics industry, what is the line that must not be crossed when discussing creator behavior? Clearly, direct insults and profanity are beyond the pale, but is there any way to civilly discuss, for example, allegations that Creator X acted in an inappropriate or harassing manner towards Creators Y and Z, without being deemed disrespectful to Creator X and therefore in breach of the forum rules? Or is all discussion of such touchy subjects, especially involving creators, to be discouraged or bannable behavior?

Not a general bump; just curious if we'll ever get an answer to whether it's allowable or not to ever discuss the comics industry's equivalents to, say, the Woody Allen/Dylan Farrow situation here, and if so according to what rules and standards.

Again, not going to name any specific names here in case this kind of topic is indeed completely verboten, but I'm sure we all know of some such situations, and they seem likely to come up in more general discussions of topics such as sexism, minority inclusion, anti-harassment policies, and so on, so it would be helpful to know if specific examples or instances can be (carefully) brought up in relevant discussion threads here, or if it would count as uncivil attacks on the creator(s) accused of wrongdoing even to link to the allegations. If Jonah and the mods want to take the position that such things are too problematic and likely to lead to a breakdown in civility, no matter how carefully approached, such that any such discussion is not welcome here and we should take it to Tumblr or wherever, I could understand that position, especially in the early stages of the new CBR forums... but it would be good to know the official position on this point before somebody gets the banhammer for even mentioning such a situation.

I am wondering about this too. For example, I do not like Michael Bendis's work. I find him formulaic, safe, and that his stories always result in nothing happening. So, if I am reviewing/discussing a new Bendis book, let's call it "Marvel Editorial Work #9", and I say something along the line of: "This feels like vintage formulaic Bendis to me" have I broken the rules? Essentially, are we now saying that only the plot/pencil lines can be discussed, not the creative/corporate direction?

BANNED

Or to move it into an other direction, have Mel Gibson, Orson Scott Card and Roman Polanski now basically become people we can't talk about in any meaningful way?

Incredible Member Jonah Weiland's Avatar

It's really simple. It's OK to discuss most any subject. Just be respectful. Don't get out of hand. Would you talk to your best friend this way? Would you say these things in your best friends house? Have a mature discussion and there's never a problem.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    -- Just Another Comic Book Fan
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams