Default Good DC comics for young kids

MY nephew is 4 years old and he is very into Superman, the Flash, and Batman. He got a small superman comic book from school and the art isn't all that good, but he carries it around with him all day. I've been looking for books on amazon but its hard to pick anything without seeing the inside. He's not hardly reading yet, i just want something with good artwork he can look at.

I bought the first Superman Adventures book. We'll see how that works out. Any recommendations?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

The cartoon-based Batman: The Brave and the Bold are all good kid comics. And, they look great. It may be a little above his reading level, but maybe not.

Not comics, but the illustrated "I Can Read" books are a hit at the children's library where I work. There are Justice League, Superman, and Batman ones, and Flash gets good showing in the League ones. Honestly, those are fun for me to read, as an adult, to the kids, just because of things like when they're investigating a crime at an amusement park, Green Lantern makes himself a bumper car and just drives around in it the rest of the story.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I think those more recent Bat-Mite and Bizarro mini series were all ages appropriate with some good cartoony artwork. There are also the New Batman Adventure books that they have been collecting in trades recently too, based on the 90s animated series.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Tiny Titans and Superman Family Adventures are both great DC comics for kids!
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Astonishing Member

Scooby Doo & Scooby Doo Team Up.

Tiny titans and Lil' Gotham are both great.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Superman Family Adventures and Tiny Titans are probably pretty good for a kid that young. As a kid, I also really liked a handful of Superman picture books (I Hate Superman, Superman: Slippery When Bad), and I'm sure there are plenty of fine ones to choose from now as well. When he's a touch older, 6 or 7, Superman Adventures and Batman Adventures are both amazing series. Shazam: The Monster Society of Evil would then also be a good fit, as would Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade, Batman: L'il Gotham, and the current book The Legend of Wonder Woman. A lot of comics from the 60s - such as those collected in DC's Showcase editions - would be a lot of fun for a young kid too. And depending on the kid, he might also later enjoy DC and Marvel's "Guidebooks", such as Superman: The Ultimate Guide to the Man of Steel; that was a way I loved learning about the characters.
    Buh-bye

I would say wait till the " ReBirth " that is coming out this June 2016 and see what they will be adding or taking away.
    I hear they ( DC ) is coming out with a Superman / SuperFamily comic book that will have SuperMan SuperWoman and SuperBoy and SuperGirl maybe SuperDog. Not sure but something to that.
    Last edited by OzzyOzz6999; 05-09-2016 at 02:58 PM.
    Dr. Ozzy Ozz PhD - CBU

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

The guidebooks seem a little advanced (not to mention physically weighty) for a four year old, yeah?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyOzz6999 View Post
    I would say wait till the " ReBirth " that is coming out this June 2016 and see what they will be adding or taking away.
    I hear they ( DC ) is coming out with a Superman / SuperFamily comic book that will have SuperMan SuperWoman and Superbly and SuperGirl maybe SuperDog. Not sure but something to that.

OzzyOzz
    Rebirth definitely isn't going to be suitable for a 4-year-old, nor has any Superfamily book been rumored as far as I'm aware.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    The guidebooks seem a little advanced (not to mention physically weighty) for a four year old, yeah?
    I meant for later, along with some of the other stuff I listed like Monster Society.
    Buh-bye

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'll try superman adventures and superman family adventures

The experience of reading a comic to a four year old (and obviously doing the different voices, natch!) will not only lock his interest into it and let you introduce him to books that might be a bit more advanced reading.