All-New Member

Default Please help a former MARVEL fanatic catch up!

Hey True Believers,

I'm a HUGE Marvel fan who used to read comics every month religiously in the 80's, 90's, and early 00's. Then due to life, I took a hiatus. Well, I'm back and interested in catching up on the creme de la creme of Marvel from the mid-2000's to now. Essentially the last 10-12 years of Marvel. Can some kind souls please give me a chronological list of Marvel stories I should read? Feel free to please point out trade paperbacks, hardcovers, Masterworks, Omnibus, and other collections that are must reads.

Many thanks!

rama7

Just get Marvel Unlimited.

Read until your eyeballs fall off
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I'll second Marvel Unlimited. There are still some gaps in a few older runs, but the sheer volume of comics is amazing. If you're mainly looking for the last decade or so, it's got you covered.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Just get Marvel Unlimited.

Read until your eyeballs fall off
    This. It would be the most economical means of playing catch up. What's even better if you sign up now your first month is free. I've had my sub for about 4 or 5 years now. Besides Marvel Unlimited, they also have digital versions of their TPBs available in the store for purchase too.

Even though he is hit or miss for me, to know what the landscape of the MU is I would start with Bendi's Disassembled arc, and then the Millar/Bendis Civil War. IMO, I don't think Secret Invasion is that relevant these days except that it lead to Dark Reign.

It also depends on what characters you had a followed before. There's a lot of different directions to go here...Spider-Man titles big arcs would be something like One More Day, Superior Spider-Man etc. The Fantastic Four's best recent interpretation IMO was Jonathan Hickman's, etc.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-09-2016 at 07:24 AM.

Yeah, you could say the super heroes had a falling out in 2006 with Civil War, got put into training teams in Initiative, which led to the Skrulls invading in Secret Invasion. Total debarkle all round, because it led to Norman Osborn being made Director of SHIELD and his Dark Reign.

Sanity prevailed after Siege, and the Heroic Age was reinstated, but by then something ominous had already been set in train with Jon Hickmans Incursions going off in the background, unbeknownst to anyone, to the tune of everyone being shocked by a planet collision, all of a sudden, thwarted by some mysterious lady with questionable intent. After that, the super heroes went down a very tragic road, with Aliens attacking Earth, and followed by Doctor Doom being enticed to save the Multiverse in a very convoluted process ending in Secret Wars leading to the current universe, labelled ALL NEW ALL DIFFERENT Marvel Universe. A sort of rejuvenation of sorts packed with legacy youths, and a new role for a known species taking center stage, the Inhumans.

It was a busy time, and most of the super heroes suffered varying degrees of questionable character adjustments, leading to the abandonment of the Fantastic Four.

All-New Member

Awesome! I'm definitely going to take everyone up on their suggestions. Heck, I might even try the Marvel Unlimited thing even though I'm really old school (and old), LOL! BTW, I know that Hickman's Fantastic Four collection is recommended. I've also heard great things about Mark Waid's Daredevil run. Is it all Waid DD or just with Samnee (sp?). So, I'm really excited to pick up and read some TPBs and HCs of any runs you recommend.

I know the proper feeling of paper between one's hands will be impossible to replicate (unless future tech has anything to say about that). But a tablet or phone with Marvel Unlimited is a quite enjoyable experience too. And there is so much good stuff there! I highly recommend it.

The first seeds of Hickman's Secret Wars were laid in his Fantastic Four title. So you should definitely check that out if you want to uncover every little detail.

I am going to take your word and suggest you some runs:

- A story I went blind into and it ended up being my all time favorite: Christopher Yost's Scarlet Spider. It's largely a nice almost self-contained story of 26 issues set in Houston, TX with some of the weirdest and fun couple of characters I have encountered: Kaine Parker (yes, like Peter Parker!) and Aracely Penalba. You can find more info, opinions by other forum users, minor spoilers and Marvel Unlimited links in the thread linked in my signature. It is followed by a volume of New Warriors written by Chris Yost too. And like F4 for Secret Wars, it laid the first signs of the recent Spider-verse event where Kaine takes on a minor but special role.

- Ms. Marvel. It is the story of a new hero who has taken the world by storm since her announcement in 2014. Set in New Jersey, it depicts the incredibly hilarious adventures of Kamala Khan and her growth as both a hero and person. She gets a lot of comparisons to early Spider-man about how it represents youth today, the way it balances humor and personal moments, etc. One aspect I really enjoy about this comic and want to point out is the main character's family and how they both influence her and back. It is a great work of love by editor Sana Amanat and writer G. Willow Wilson.
    Last edited by MarioHerald; 05-10-2016 at 12:42 AM.

All-New Member

Awesome stuff! Thanks! Love hearing everyone's suggestions and recommendations! Thanks

Here's some of the highlights of the past 15 years or so that's all on Marvel Unlimited:

Captain America by Ed Brubaker
    Invincible Iron Man by Matt Fraction
    Thor (2007) by J. Michael Straczynski and Kieron Gillen
    Incredible Hulk by Greg Pak
    Hawkeye by Matt Fraction
    Immortal Iron Fist by Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction
    Punisher (2000), (2001), and (2004) by Garth Ennis
    Secret Warriors by Jonathan Hickman
    Fantastic Four #570-605 + FF (2010) #1-23 by Jonathan Hickman
    New X-Men (2001) #114-154 by Grant Morrison
    Astonishing X-Men (2004) #1-24 + Giant-Size Astonishing X-Men #1 by Joss Whedon
    New Mutants (2009) by Zeb Wells and Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning
    Uncanny X-Force (2010) by Rick Remender
    X-Men Legacy (2012) by Si Spurrier

All-New Member

Wow, that's awesome! Thanks for the list! I'll get right on that.