Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    So basically reviewer doesn't agree with my perceptions of the film, by stating her OPINION of said film. Therefore she's ridiculous? Lol.

yet this "reviewer" has influence and causes others not to see a movie that was not "boring, bogged down or a disappointment". This "reviewer" doesn't have anything positive to say about it. really nothing?

sure if she doesn't agree with me I shouldn't always be upset. There is a range of opinions on any movie or work of art. Art is subjective in most instances. However what makes me most upset is sometimes "opinion" is interpreted as "fact". Or they are "Written as fact." Some of her comments simply dont jive with what was on the screen. For instance the wolverine fight scene is not "mostly offscreen". Do most readers of that comment take it as "opinion" or "fact". its not about the emotion "felt" off of a characters lines or speech, or the CGI quality of a scene, but the actual "fight scene" being on or "off camera". A "camera" is an actual piece of filming equipment. In that context it will mostly be interpreted as a "fact."

a lot of that fight is in the viewers face. my gosh you see _________ why she decided to ignore that is a mystery but more than just "her opinion."
    Last edited by Jack Lantern; 05-28-2016 at 04:40 AM.

Amazing Member

[QUOTE=Sammael;2048533]Saw the movie Thursday night, I actually enjoyed this movie more than first class / dofp / AND Captain America Civil War (oh that's right, I went there).

agree 1000%!!!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Oh ok, is Wolverines scene that good then? Heard someone say this does Weapon x better in 5mins then Origins did with a whole movie.
    it is excellent. do not believe the negatives or those who trivialize it. IT IS the best version of a Wolverine fight scene. He is at his most feral. yeah some people will say "well the other wolverine movie fight scenes are all crap so take it for what you will if this one is any good..."

well that kind of answer is lame & disingenuous. They dont want to admit or give credit to Singer that it is a great fight scene. Its a GREAT fight scene in any movie universe i.e. Marvel, Warner, Fox, Sony movie universes...
    Last edited by Jack Lantern; 05-28-2016 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hobo View Post
    That same criticism can be leveled at almost every character that appears in this movie. Fassbender, especially, really does not need to be in this movie. If anything was contract-servicing, it was Magneto and his wife-and-kid backstory, which feels like it was stapled into the story to give him a chance to do some acting, otherwise he would have nothing to do but make constipation faces as Magneto moved metal around.

And at this point anyone who is complaining about about how an X-Men character or story doesn't match the comic book version should have stopped watching after X3. It's pretty much all 'wrong' by that standard and will only get 'worse' as more movies come out.
    Oh, it definitely can. Once again there are like 10-20 characters featured in the movie but only 2-3 are treated as actual characters and given focus and screen time they deserve. Others are just there to be fan service or whatever. Still doesn't change the fact that Mystique has gotten disproportionate amount of focus in these movies considering her role and character in X-Men mythos. And yea, Magneto's arc was just a retread of his arc from all the previous X-Men movies but at least it was an arc! And even Xavier got some kind of arc (with Moira). Katnisstique is the only one of the three "stars" who had nothing to do in this film.

And yes, obviously there are going to be changes when you adapt a comic or a cartoon into live action medium, anyone with half a brain can understand that but FoX-Men movies feature way too many changes for seemingly no good in story reasons. And just because you don't want to see or hear people pointing out the fact that these movies are so so (at best) as X-Men adaptations doesn't mean that people can't still point it out if they want to. If it''s that annoying to you then just ignore them and enjoy your mediocre X-Men adaptation. The way these movies are made they should be called "Professor X, Magneto, Katnisstique and Wolverine! (feat. cameos from the X-Men)" And what's most frustrating in this is that EVERY FoX-Men film has featured glimpses of a great X-Men adaptation. If it was somehow possible to pick certain elements (while cutting out others) from all previous FoX-Men films and put those into a one film it would probably be a great X-Men movie! And these FoX-Men films are actually slowly starting to resemble X-Men more and more once again. It's just that the advancement is very slow and the amount of potential wasted in characters like Apocalypse (he should have been a focus of a trilogy of films) is heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Yeah, the movie versions of Deadpool and Mystique are much much more heroic than the comics; but no one complains about Deadpool, and the Ultimate Spider-man Cartoon had a more accurate version for god sake.
    Yeah, it's funny how much Deadpool got most of the important elements right even though it changed a bunch of stuff. The difference to FoX-Men is just ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lantern View Post
    yet this "reviewer" has influence and causes others not to see a movie that was not "boring, bogged down or a disappointment". This "reviewer" doesn't have anything positive to say about it. really nothing?

sure if she doesn't agree with me I shouldn't always be upset. There is a range of opinions on any movie or work of art. Art is subjective in most instances. However what makes me most upset is sometimes "opinion" is interpreted as "fact". Or they are "Written as fact." Some of her comments simply dont jive with what was on the screen. For instance the wolverine fight scene is not "mostly offscreen". Do most readers of that comment take it as "opinion" or "fact". its not about the emotion "felt" off of a characters lines or speech, or the CGI quality of a scene, but the actual "fight scene" being on or "off camera". A "camera" is an actual piece of filming equipment. In that context it will mostly be interpreted as a "fact."

a lot of that fight is in the viewers face. my gosh you see _________ why she decided to ignore that is a mystery but more than just "her opinion."
    But most of the meat of that Wolverine scene WAS offscreen?! Most we saw of him cutting down those soldiers was just a shot of someone spraying some ketchup on the wall. We never really saw Wolverine really cut loose (pun unintentional). He snarled a bit and charged at soldiers and was shot and threw some soldiers while jumping around but we never saw him use his claws once again (for obvious reasons). If you're gonna do a scene like Wolverine escaping Weapon X it needs to be in an R rated film. Wolverine's entire power set is knives in hands and healing from even the most terrible injuries. Character is hard to do justice in a PG-13 film, especially if it focuses on his most traumatic and iconic moments. Plus on the whole that whole sequence felt like the film took an unnecessary detour simply to have that one scene in it.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewHuerta View Post
    So basically everyone he saved in the X-Mansion would be dead. Got it.
    No, they are all within his protection bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewHuerta View Post
    How does QuickSilver move faster than the flash(in Singer's movies. In Marvel his speed is accurate), and yet the music he's listening to is playing at normal speed?
    Mutant walkman.

Saw it last night and thought it was OK, as did my wife and parents, who are less enthusiastic about comic book movies than I am.

While I wouldn't say its the disaster the reviewer makes it out to be, I thought Civil War and Deadpool were both much more entertaining (can't say much about how it compares to BvS since I didn't see it).

As others have mentioned, it suffers from some typical x-movie flaws: too many characters that have little to no development, too much emphasis on contrasting Prof X' worldview vs that of Magneto (and Mystique). Others have mentioned the minimal roles that the 4 horsemen and Jubliee play. I would say that if you are a fan of Warren Worthington III, you will probably not enjoy Angel's portrayal in this movie. Psylocke is given minimal development and Storm fares only a little better, mainly because we get a few minutes of screentime with her as Apocalypse is getting his bearings in the 20th century. Jubilee is in a few scenes but has barely any lines and no power use.

To me, there was a lot of "been there, done that" to this film as well. The Quicksilver scene didn't have nearly the impact it did in DoFP (although I like the fact that he played more of a role in the film's climax, unlike in DoFP). An angry Wolverine chops through a bunch of generic soldiers - pretty well done (with a lot more blood than usual) but again, deja vu. Even though it was good to see Nightcrawler again, his teleporting ability isn't really showcased any better than it was in X2, IMO. Beast doesn't do much of anything new in this film, and has less of a character arc than he did in the previous two films (which isn't saying much).

To me, the best parts involved interactions between the "new" characters - Cyclops, Jean, Nightcrawler. I feel like Singer should not have excised much of the "mall scene" as more with these guys would have been preferable to giving lots of screen time to J-Law (who, as reviewers have mentioned, doesn't bring much enthusiasm to the role). Jubilee should have been given more to do as well, and more time with Storm would've been nice as well.

Oscar Isaac was wasted in this role. Thought the makeup/prostheses for Apolalypse looked terrible, everytime they had a close up of his face (whcih seemed to be a lot) I though he looked ridiculous.

I liked Apocalypse's Horsemen in the ancient Egypt part of the movie, perhaps because I was unfamiliar with any of them. Caliban was interesting as sort of a mutant info-broker/I.D. forger.

Worth seeing if you are a fan of Singer's other X-Men movies, but for me it was not as good as the original X-Men, X2, DoFP, or First Class.
    Last edited by basbash99; 05-28-2016 at 06:23 AM. Reason: adding comment

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Like I have said before when watching any of the Singer led movies you can just tell the one story he really wants to tell is the one between Xavier and Magneto. I really think if he could do a movie with just those two and not have to use any of the other characters he would. Singer doesn't really care about the X-Men he only cares about those two, and it shows in every movie he makes.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Like I have said before when watching any of the Singer led movies you can just tell the one story he really wants to tell is the one between Xavier and Magneto. I really think if he could do a movie with just those two and not have to use any of the other characters he would. Singer doesn't really care about the X-Men he only cares about those two, and it shows in every movie he makes.
    And Wolverine

Now Mystique, because JLaw is attached to the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
    Yeah, it's funny how much Deadpool got most of the important elements right even though it changed a bunch of stuff. The difference to FoX-Men is just ridiculous.
    Really ?, he didnt had the yellow and white boxes, or that he is psycho that would blow up a bus full of children if that what he was paid to do.

Incredible Member

I'm still scratching my head on the vitreol online.

It pretty much did what it was expected, got some great setup for real x-men movies and had a few great character interactions.

moviebob whined hard over nothing, and just about every internet reviewer is treating a solid b like an f.

Spectacular Member The New Black's Avatar

I enjoyed the movie. It wasn't as light-hearted as First Class or DoFP, or as zomg!!! as Civil War, but I still thought it was entertaining.

I do think people are getting a little too used to superheroes being hyper-talkative quip machines. Characters can still be entertaining without constantly making sarcastic remarks and jokes. And there are some lead characters who,
    *gasp*
    never make jokes at all.

Yeah, on another positive note, I'd like to express how much I enjoyed the first bits of bonding between Scott and Jean, even if it's not full blown romance yet. Kurt tagging along was nice, in the absence of Iceman, and with Beast being older.

Also, why wasn't the song playing during the Quicksilver scene 'Time (Clock of the Heart)' instead of 'Sweet Dreams'?
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by The New Black View Post
    I enjoyed the movie. It wasn't as light-hearted as First Class or DoFP, or as zomg!!! as Civil War, but I still thought it was entertaining.

I do think people are getting a little too used to superheroes being hyper-talkative quip machines. Characters can still be entertaining without constantly making sarcastic remarks and jokes. And there are some lead characters who,
    *gasp*
    never make jokes at all.
    The Dark Knight trilogy shows people are fine with seriois characters who dont joke. If they are well made movies. Just happens marvel likes quips and most the well done movies are by them

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Yeah, on another positive note, I'd like to express how much I enjoyed the first bits of bonding between Scott and Jean, even if it's not full blown romance yet. Kurt tagging along was nice, in the absence of Iceman, and with Beast being older.

Also, why wasn't the song playing during the Quicksilver scene 'Time (Clock of the Heart)' instead of 'Sweet Dreams'?
    Sweet Dreams is an 80s jam.

In the 90s Quicksilver will most likely be listening to the Macarena song or Spice Girls in his next slo-mo run scene.
    G.O.A.T.: Greatest Of All Time now on Patreon. Please support or spread the word www.patreon.com/andrewhuerta

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    "X-Men: Apocalypse" is a lifeless affair, squandering its star power, underselling its characters, and muddying its action in greys and cutaways.

Full article here.
    I feel this review, is doing the most it can to tear down the movie, does it have some issues yeah, but over all its a nice time at the cinemas. I enjoyed the movie, but do see that it had the potential to be great but missed those opportunities. Still we did get some great moments from logan, Jean Grey, Pietro, Magnes .

I dunno, I cannot help but feel the conspiracy that anything that is not done Under the Marvel studios banner is gonna get hated on just cause its different .