View Poll Results: Are you ok with Singer's version of Storm?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes because we understand this is an alternate movie version of Storm

15 30.61%
  • No, Singer just changed her too much that it's unacceptable

34 69.39%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Makes sense because this board wouldn't even exist without Magneto and Xavier...go to every single X-cartoon and it always revolves around the Xavier/Magneto differences. The sidekicks all get their part...Cyclops, Jean, Wanda, Pietro, Rogue, Storm, Beast, Kitty, Sinister, Apocalypse, Wolverine gets a lot of time but the core of this entire thing was "Is Xavier right or is Magneto right?". Simple.
    That is the thing though for a big chunk of the X-comics Xavier and Magneto were not the focus. The X-Men books sometimes went years without Xavier even being in them. Same with Magneto. He would show up and you knew things were about to get serious. Having them as the main focus is really more a modern thing brought on alot by the movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That is the thing though for a big chunk of the X-comics Xavier and Magneto were not the focus. The X-Men books sometimes went years without Xavier even being in them. Same with Magneto. He would show up and you knew things were about to get serious. Having them as the main focus is really more a modern thing brought on alot by the movies.
    I agree. don't recall the comics ever focusing that much on that. Even for the 05's original run, he was background for the students. I can't complain though because Magneto Xavier is about the only thing the movies have done great.

It just bugs me that it never looks like she is actually flying. I get it's all wire work but she only flies by riding a current of air from underneath her but every shot in EVERY movie she is in, other than some of the fighting in front of Jean's house in XM:TLS, it looks just unbelievable. Blame casting, direction and the writing. Storm is supposed to be a strong woman but she's always such a weak character, writing wise, in the films.
    Compare them...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    This, bar Singer caring about Rogue. Rogue's been treated with about the same decency as Storm. You can tell because her biggest enemy in the franchise is apparently a seat-belt.

I really hope the NM movie team know how to do an ensemble.
    He turned one of the most badass women in X-Men into a damsel in distress, almost as if that was his plan all along. I forgot where I said it before but if an X-woman isn't a villain, going to be a villain or Jennifer Lawrence she's window dressing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbee View Post
    It just bugs me that it never looks like she is actually flying. I get it's all wire work but she only flies by riding a current of air from underneath her but every shot in EVERY movie she is in, other than some of the fighting in front of Jean's house in XM:TLS, it looks just unbelievable. Blame casting, direction and the writing. Storm is supposed to be a strong woman but she's always such a weak character, writing wise, in the films.
    Compare them...

The Halle gif was great.

For the Shipp gif, it still looks like she's not really flying.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    The Halle gif was great.

For the Shipp gif, it still looks like she's not really flying.
    Yeah, that's the point I was trying to get across. Despite The Last Stand being a pretty bad movie, Ratner at least tried to make Halle Berry's Storm do a little more than create some fog and utilize her control over the wind to her fighting advantage. All of Singer's film's have her rise up into the sky with very little wind being blown around her and it just looks really bad/boring.

BANNED

Yeah, that's the point I was trying to get across. Despite The Last Stand being a pretty bad movie, Ratner at least tried to make Halle Berry's Storm do a little more than create some fog and utilize her control over the wind to her fighting advantage. All of Singer's film's have her rise up into the sky with very little wind being blown around her and it just looks really bad/boring.
    I agree and I have observed that when Halle uses her hands, she moves it differently. Unlike Shipp, it's always the same gesture everytime she uses her powers. Based on the trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    I agree. don't recall the comics ever focusing that much on that. Even for the 05's original run, he was background for the students. I can't complain though because Magneto Xavier is about the only thing the movies have done great.
    Then you're reading the wrong comics, because most everything in X-Men is some branch off of the ideological conflict between those 2. It's not always as direct, no, but to some degree it's typically connected to those themes.

There are exceptions, typically in more personal stories. Dark Phoenix Saga and the theme of absolute power. Wolverine and the themes of love and respect. Gambit's Mutant Massacre trial and the themes of guilt and redemption and forgiveness.

But most X-Men comics build off of the ideological conflict and the themes of oppression to some extent.

Even Age of Apocalypse, largely relevant to this film, heavily features the idea that Magneto feels a sense of responsibility to carry Xavier's dream to life and keep his promise to his dying friend.
    Last edited by Franchise408; 05-14-2016 at 01:08 PM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Even when he wasn't physically, he still was though.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Exactly and while it all happened "off screen" she kind of got promoted within the school iirc and they gave her at least one power stunt. It's all crumbs off a big table but it's better than under Singer.

BANNED

I'm not ok with anything singer does to the Xmen films. Every single Xmen film he's directed has been garbage, from awful costumes/outfits, to snore-fest "action" sequences, to his 24/7 Wolverine ball-licking. Singer is and somehow magically continues to be the worst thing involved with the Xmen franchise, it completely sickens me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by seaturkey View Post
    I'm not ok with anything singer does to the Xmen films. Every single Xmen film he's directed has been garbage, from awful costumes/outfits, to snore-fest "action" sequences, to his 24/7 Wolverine ball-licking. Singer is and somehow magically continues to be the worst thing involved with the Xmen franchise, it completely sickens me.
    DOFP made over 700 million dollars at the box office. There is no magic involved, his films made money so Fox LOVES it.

The Wolverine ball licking started at Marvel who at one point gave Wolverine multiple comics, but him on different X-Men teams and in the Avengers, and made him headmaster of the school until they killed him off.

Re: Storm. Shipp's Storm in the trailer's is shown fighting Cyclop's optic blasts with her lightening. Clearly she's pretty powerful. You guys are just jumping on bandwagons.

I do agree that Halle Berry's Storm sucked and at least some of this was Halle herself. She had never had a prior interest in comics and didn't know anything about Storm. Only when she was criticized by fans did she read the comics and find out how she got Storm wrong. She pushed for better stuff for Storm in X-Men 3 and she was a lot better, but sadly that was the last film with just the old cast (DOFP was meant to phase the old cast out in favor of the new).