View Poll Results: RATE "SCORPIO RISING" (ASM #9-11)

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • A---Outstanding!

0 0%
  • B---Very Good

5 22.73%
  • C----OK, could have been a lot better

10 45.45%
  • D---A real letdown

6 27.27%
  • F----Garbage; waste of time and money

1 4.55%

Default Rate "Scorpio Rising" (ASM #9-11)

Well, I know ASM #12 is already out but I just finished the previous Scorpio/Zodiac arc so thought I would see what you guys think. For me, it was just another so-so story from Slott whose work on this latest relaunch title I am not really enjoying though it had it's moments were things clicked (and others where it didn't such as the ludicrous fall from space scene). Overall, I can't shake the feeling that this whole "Worldwide" setup is just a place holder and we are likely looking at yet another relaunch/new direction by the start of next year---if not sooner. But---let's see what you guys think!

The villain hasn't been compelling enough and I've been more interested in Power Play, Doc Ock, and The Dead no More guy.

Quote Originally Posted by FF-Fighter View Post
    The villain hasn't been compelling enough and I've been more interested in Power Play, Doc Ock, and The Dead no More guy.
    Agreed on all counts; Scorpio/Zodiac was a clunky and non-engaging villain whose backstory, I suspect, was another way for Slott to work in "Doctor Who"-type narratives into a Spidey story, which he loves to do. It just didn't work for me, especially not for such a long-simmering sub-plot and then a 3-issue arc. Here's hoping things pick up now....

Can I give it a C+? Thought the story was just ok, but the penultimate issue was really good.

It was alright but I felt it was let down by the combination of an overall weak villain who seemed more so over the top half the time and that it dragged on for so long for what was really just a story arc rather than a mega arc. It was nice to see Spidey team up with these other heroes but the steaks just didn't feel like it warranted it.

It was like reading a more modern version of the Mantlo era on PPtSSM. In that sense, I enjoyed it. The wackiness of the villains, the absurdity of the settings contrasted with the dialogue that takes it all so seriously, and Peter's character's stubborn consistency to stay normal in spite of crazy, world altering events. Bunch of sturm and drang that is entertaining, but a tad bit shallow.

For me it was still very good. But I am especially fond of the Mantlo era. Why pine for a bagel when a donut is just as good?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    It was alright but I felt it was let down by the combination of an overall weak villain who seemed more so over the top half the time and that it dragged on for so long for what was really just a story arc rather than a mega arc. It was nice to see Spidey team up with these other heroes but the steaks just didn't feel like it warranted it.
    Yeah, I am really tired of the constant team-ups in ASM. I know Dan is a fan of it and, to be sure, Spidey has always had guest stars appearing with his pages but it seems virtually non-stop the last few years and I for one would like to see more self-contained stories for a bit.

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

I just got done reading it last night. I enjoyed it as it was a pretty wacky story, but like a few mentioned, the main bad guy was a bit by-the-numbers.

Still the bit where he sort of said what was coming up in the next however many issues was quite cool. Must say I liked the last couple of issues more than any of the others since the re-launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Rand's Other Fist View Post
    I just got done reading it last night. I enjoyed it as it was a pretty wacky story, but like a few mentioned, the main bad guy was a bit by-the-numbers.

Still the bit where he sort of said what was coming up in the next however many issues was quite cool. Must say I liked the last couple of issues more than any of the others since the re-launch.
    Yea. I thought the part where he began to name off upcoming things was really cool. Not exactly looking forward the monster thingy though. (Forgot exactly what was said there). I'm kinda tired of magical beasts n stuff.

I liked it. There was a better sense of what made the various agents of Scorpio unique, and some interesting challenges for Spider-Man.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

D I suppose? This entire Zodiac thing has just been one long dud for me, and it doesnt even feel like a Spider-Man book anymore.