Page 1 of 40 1234511 ... LastLast
    Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Default Anya Sofia Corazon: Spider-Girl Appreciation 2018

Short History Time!

Whether you love her, hate her or simply tolerate her it cannot be said enough that Anya Corazon is our Spider-Girl! Like literally, she's the 616 Spider-Girl.

Annnnyway... Anya initially went by the alias Araña after getting a sweet tattoo from the Webcorps, when they saved her life, and even had the ability to create an Exoskeleton! Eventually she left the Webcorps and went solo than as Ms. Marvel's sidekick whom became a mother figure for her. During Civil War the Doomsday Man brutally tore off her Exoskeleton and left her depowered, however she continued her heroics anyway.

Eventually she got a costume update during the Grim Hunt story-line after getting Arachne's old costume, when Julia took up the name Madam Web after the previous one died, though she still went by Araña. However she officially changed her alias to Spider-Girl, despite being depowered still, because everyone kept calling her that, even Spider-Woman made that mistake.

Later on Rulk worked with Anya's father on an investigation but both were poisoned by an organization called Raven and a berserk Rulk accidently killed her father, this act almost caused Anya to give up being Spider-Girl. However, Anya didn't let grief get in the way and she agreed to work with Rulk to track down and stop Raven after learning the truth. Also, it turns out Sue Richards was an old friend of her father's... Somehow. Huh.

Eventually she turned to Spider-Man to help her uncover Raven which was interested in Anya because they wanted to brainwash her into serving them and had captured her friend Rocky. While fighting the Raven Agents she discovered her powers had returned and worked with Spider-Man and Rulk to take them down as well as saving her friend Rocky who already knew that Anya was Spider-Girl after Anya unmasked in front of her.

Then Spider-Island happened and Anya helped save the day. Though strangely enough she wasn't affected by the "Cure" and kept her powers for some unknown reason. Bizarre...

Finally Inhumanity happened where Anya sought the Avengers help, learned how they operated and even got a new costume which she immediately updated after its flaws became apparent!

Now she's set to appear in the Spiderverse crossover, though in her original Spider-Girl costume it seems, and in the Grim Hunt What-If it was revealed that Anya is very much tied to the Web like Spider-Man is.

-

Whew, that's done! Anyway, I'm excited to see Anya participate more on the Spider-Side of things and it's great that she'll be in Spiderverse! I hope that she plays a continued role in all things Spider-Man after that event as well, loved when she teamed up with Spider-Man! If anyone can teach her about being a heroic Spider-Person isn't Spider-Man! Besides, she could use some time away from the Avengers to going web swinging and fighting street crime with the one and only Spider-Man!

Her latest costume is going to take some getting used to but I'm willing to give it a chance.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 05-05-2014 at 12:33 PM.

I've only read her arc in Avengers Assemble, but I absolutely loved her in it! I have her past things in my unlimited library to catch up on.

She's fun and quirky, and I'm looking forward to seeing when she shows up again. I really want more of the Spider ladies (Anya, Jessica, and Natasha) team up from that AA arc.

She really wants to team up with them, huh?

Jessica seems to be enjoying the way Black Widow is squirming with Anya acting like a curious teenager.

I don't know that she would on a regular basis. I just want her too because I thought it was great for the issue and a half they were working together in AA. Her whole arc there was a lot of fun.

Well she has strong ties with the Avengers and the Spider-Stuff so she could be a regular in either. Personally I want her to get more involved in street stuff with Spider-Man, they make a great team-up.

Yeah I could see that. I've been mostly an Avengers girl since I started reading comics last year, but I'm slowly working my way into the Spider world now. I read the Grim Hunt story, which she was in for a bit. So I found out how she got her black costume, and I did like her interaction with Spidey and everyone. I've also read the first issue of her Spider Girl series, which was great. I have the rest bookmarked to read when I have time. So I'm not opposed to seeing her get more involved in that stuff, it'd probably even get me to buy some spidey books :-)

In my head I think of Jess, Anya, and Natasha together as "The Spinsters". It's tongue-in-cheek, of course - but I like the ironic double entendre.

More pertinent to Spider-girl, I hope her story arc at the end of Avengers Assemble was a test balloon and they plan to use the coming Spider-verse event to launch a new ongoing Anya solo series. I have loved everything I've read with Anya to date, and I would definitely pre-order a Spider-girl solo title featuring her. Anya's really cut her teeth now, and I think it's time for her to start bumping into some of the fledgling super-powered people out there, particularly Ms Marvel and Mania. I think Anya and Kamala have enough in common, yet are different enough, that they could become really close friends. Meanwhile, Anya's links to the occult could make for a really great story arc where she manages to help Andi get rid of her Hellmark, and it would be interesting to see how the Mania symbiote reacts to Spider-girl.

I'm not sure they'll be utilizing her new costume in Spiderverse as it's fairly recent.

She did learn a lot from the Avengers for sure, though she should meet Spider-Man if only so he can wonder who she is and what's with the hood.

Okay, I was able to get my hands on the Academy stuff, shipping is expensive, and her costume makes much more sense now. It was funny how Tony joked around about how she took fashion tips from Wolverine and she seemed so lost when he asked her what she planned to do with the costume.

It was a really great learning arc for her and I wonder if it'll get a trade as I prefer trades over individual issues.

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Who would you guys cast to play Spider-Girl?

Cast for what exactly?

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Cast for what exactly?
    Sorry, I meant if she were to ever appear in a movie or something.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimson View Post
    Who would you guys cast to play Spider-Girl?
    That's a tough one. Can't really think of anyone I'd like to play the role.

At this time I cannot think of anyone.

You know, Anya could really capure the Ultimate Peter Parker vibe if she got her own series. Though she would need someone to fill in as the Aunt May of things.

Ultimate Member

The obvious choice would be to have her join the Avengers. She played off of multiple members of that team really well (most notably Natasha and Jessica) and it almost seemed like that arc was setting up for something like that. Besides, she could be the "eager newcomer POV character" on the team.