Super Moderator

Default Revving Up Hasbro's "MASK" For a Modern Comic Audience

Brandon Easton and Tony Vargas explain how they're transforming '80s toy-and-cartoon franchise "M.A.S.K." into comic form.

Full article here.

Very cool! I'm looking forward to this one.
    I actually recently wrote about this myself: http://www.comicbooked.com/m-s-k-published-idw/
    Pull List:

ASM/Spider-Gwen/Deadpool/Harley Quinn/Batman/All-New Wolverine/OML/Lady Mechanika/B.E.K./HarleyQuinn/Paper Girls/All-Star Batman / Gwenpool/Reborn

JLS Comics: Twitter: @ComicsJLS /// Instagram: JLSComics
    YouTube www.youtube.com/c/JLSComics
    F: http://www.facebook.com/JLSComics
    Check out my articles at www.comicbooked.com!

All-New Member

Holy crap I forgot all about these toys and the cartoon. I had the semi as a kid, but they definitely faded away without much memory about them since so I am not sure about a long-lasting appeal here and the revamp thing has been done to death, but we shall see how it goes. I wish them luck with this.

I had Condor, the motorcycle that could transform into a helicopter. Used to watch the show every afternoon after school. Even had the original comic book miniseries from DC (I may still have it in a longbox somewhere). It's cool that they're bringing this back and updating it.

Wish someone would do this for Bionic Six too.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

BANNED

I've seen a couple of episodes long time ago on local tv. It'd be cool to see how they handle this reboot.

I managed to get the complete series on DVD while on holidays a couple of years ago. Can't wait for the comic series (and hopefully new toys)

Absolutely no T-Bob.
    My favorite part of the interview.

Biff Superman

"The '80s versions of the masks were cool for the time, but everything resembles the early Apple Mac computers. Those things were blocky and unwieldy. I wanted the modern versions to be streamlined, like our smartphones and tablets. Some will include holographic elements. I see these masks as weaponized Google glasses."

Uhhhggg. Way to hype up something amazingly rad then DESTROY any hope and you own creative credibility, all within one reply.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Superman View Post
    "The '80s versions of the masks were cool for the time, but everything resembles the early Apple Mac computers. Those things were blocky and unwieldy. I wanted the modern versions to be streamlined, like our smartphones and tablets. Some will include holographic elements. I see these masks as weaponized Google glasses."

Uhhhggg. Way to hype up something amazingly rad then DESTROY any hope and you own creative credibility, all within one reply.
    The show is called M.A.S.K. not G.L.A.S.S.

There will be masks for christ's sake. Relax.

Brandon

BANNED

If MASK gets really popular for these new comics, I wonder if they'll make a Live Action film in the future that's directed by Michael Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonEaston View Post
    The show is called M.A.S.K. not G.L.A.S.S.

There will be masks for christ's sake. Relax.

Brandon
    This post is awesome.

I was thinking of checking this book out, but now I definitely will. Well done, good sir.

Though I will miss T-Bob. He was no worse than Cringer or Snarf or any of those other cowards. Hopefully he gets his own one-shot or mini.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCya View Post
    This post is awesome.

I was thinking of checking this book out, but now I definitely will. Well done, good sir.

Though I will miss T-Bob. He was no worse than Cringer or Snarf or any of those other cowards. Hopefully he gets his own one-shot or mini.
    Thank you. We all appreciate you giving the book a chance. I hope you won't be disappointed.

I would prefer that fans wait until they see the actual artwork before freaking out. Tony Vargas' art work is amazing.

Brandon

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm intrigued by this. I'll pick up the first issue or two certainly.
    I had some M.A.S.K. toys and saw the cartoon in my formidable years in the 80's so it holds some nostalgia for me.
    It's at least part of the "legacy of my youth" but it's not a franchise I hold as sacred so some changes wouldn't bother me.
    My Holy Grail list of animated properties would go something like this in terms of how careful one should be in dealing with the property and what type of changes I'll accept.

1. Transformers
    2. Voltron
    3. He-Man
    4. G.I. Joe
    5. Thundercats
    6. M.A.S.K.
    7. Silverhawks
    8. Centurions
    9. Inhumanoids
    10. Jem (and they still royally F'd up this movie)

Anything after this is dredging my memory core and not held sacred even if I watched it sometimes, like Dino-Riders for instance.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

Heard about this a little while ago but never chimed in here. Super excited for it!!
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."