Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    DC ruined the character so bad at the launch of the Nu52 that he has been pretty much too toxic to use since. Instead of writing Captain Atom who people liked they turned him into a Doctor Manhattan lite clone, and the vast majority of people hated that take with a passion. It was just a total blunder of a move that destroyed the character. It was stupid to think "Well Doctor Manhattan from Watchman is based on Captain Atom so why no just make Captain Atom into Doctor Manhattan? People will love that and the book will sell like gangbusters." They were wrong and the book tanked after just a handfull of issues and the character has not been used hardly at all since because they messed him up so bad.

Hopefully with Rebirth we get Cap back to how he was before Flashpoint and all the Nu52 garbage is forgotten forever.
    This.
    It was one of the books, among about 15/16, that I subscribed to with my LCS that I was excited about. Like Firestorm(which at least went 18 issues) it was not what I had hoped for. How books like Voodoo and Grifter still got 12 issues seems like a wrong. Jim Lee's pet creations got a year but I doubt they were justified.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Not Getting Any Younger Kikaider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Brown View Post
    They were the best DC comics I have ever read. The Bart Sears over muscular version of Metamorpho is my favorite all time drawn version of any DC character.

Man, what a great issue that was. Metamorpho vs the Metal Men. I must have read it four times the week I bought it.

BANNED

As I've said elsewhere, I think he should be in the Justice League and that the Charlton street-level characters should star in a team title.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Maybe on a derivative JL, but in the main JL, he'll be played as second to Superman and answering to Batman.
    I'd rather see him on his own team, with other Ditko creations Vic Sage(Question) Ted Kord (Beetle) and the other Charlton heroes either as the Sentinels or "Pax Americana"
    I do feel two JL books are needed. JL needs more characters without solos.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    I liked the Captain Atom series from back in the 80s with art by Pat Broderick which served as Cap's intro to the DCU. Haven't kept up with the character since, except for Mary Marvel beating him to a pulp in one of the Keith Giffen formerly Justice League thingees.
    i love kieth giffen. but that issue was just wrong.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I do feel two JL books are needed. JL needs more characters without solos.
    I think 3 JL books are needed. One for the main heroes, one for popular secondary characters like Captain Atom, Booster Gold etc, and an experimental JL book with an unexpected lineup and new concepts. Kind of what we had at the start of the New 52, although they were all lackluster.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I think 3 JL books are needed. One for the main heroes, one for popular secondary characters like Captain Atom, Booster Gold etc, and an experimental JL book with an unexpected lineup and new concepts. Kind of what we had at the start of the New 52, although they were all lackluster.
    the line up of captain atom, booster, beetle. fire and ice and guy was perfect in my book. nice blend of muscle, firepower, brains, and humor. maybe add in a rocket red and dr fate to beef up that teams technology and magic capabilities.

Extraordinary Member

I can go with that. The books would need some strong creative teams with clear story directions (to avoid what happened last time).

I felt the three JL teams were designed to break into split trinity factions specifically for that Trinity War fiasco.

Otherwise I completely agree and would go further: we don't even NEED a big 7 book. Headliners should be speed-dialing each other and guest starring in thier own books so often we don't need to see them doing Morrison and Waid level events. If we need a Big 7 book, it can be a marketed miniseries.

The only Justice League worth reading, imho, is the Giffen team of troublemakers. I've listed this elsewhere, but I'd include both Beetles, Booster, Fire, Ice and Guy Gardner on a team led by Vixen. They can screw up, win, get lost, and have adventures as the "B" squad of leaguers. I'd set them loose in the Bleed and have them all over the Multiverse.

For the "experimental" team, I'd put John Stewart and Martian Manhunter in charge of a truly international Unlimited style squads. Teams would be small and district based... Like alpha: North America, beta: South America, gamma: Atlantis and Western Europe, delta: Saharan Africa, epsilon: Southern Africa, zeta: Eastern Europe and Russia, theta: Middle East, iota: India, kappa: China, lambda: Polynesia and Australia. J'onn would assign Lantern officers to support the "global guardians".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I can go with that. The books would need some strong creative teams with clear story directions (to avoid what happened last time).
    somehow i feel that if captain atom is in a team, that team will serve under a particular branch of the government. maybe have cap's team handle official metahuman affairs, and maintain the suicide squad as the black ops.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I felt the three JL teams were designed to break into split trinity factions specifically for that Trinity War fiasco.

Otherwise I completely agree and would go further: we don't even NEED a big 7 book. Headliners should be speed-dialing each other and guest starring in thier own books so often we don't need to see them doing Morrison and Waid level events. If we need a Big 7 book, it can be a marketed miniseries.

The only Justice League worth reading, imho, is the Giffen team of troublemakers. I've listed this elsewhere, but I'd include both Beetles, Booster, Fire, Ice and Guy Gardner on a team led by Vixen. They can screw up, win, get lost, and have adventures as the "B" squad of leaguers. I'd set them loose in the Bleed and have them all over the Multiverse.

For the "experimental" team, I'd put John Stewart and Martian Manhunter in charge of a truly international Unlimited style squads. Teams would be small and district based... Like alpha: North America, beta: South America, gamma: Atlantis and Western Europe, delta: Saharan Africa, epsilon: Southern Africa, zeta: Eastern Europe and Russia, theta: Middle East, iota: India, kappa: China, lambda: Polynesia and Australia. J'onn would assign Lantern officers to support the "global guardians".
    My idea for an experimental team would be a combination of young heroes excluded from Teen Titans and popular JL members excluded from the main JL book, like Manhunter and John Stewart. A team of outcasts, but not rejected by society, but rejected by DC editorial. Mixing young and old heroes on the same team could be interesting, Marvel is doing it with ANAD Avengers.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    somehow i feel that if captain atom is in a team, that team will serve under a particular branch of the government. maybe have cap's team handle official metahuman affairs, and maintain the suicide squad as the black ops.
    That would generate some great stories, imo. It would also give that particular JL book a unique feel.

Extraordinary Member

My idea for an experimental team would be a combination of young heroes excluded from Teen Titans and popular JL members excluded from the main JL book, like Manhunter and John Stewart. A team of outcasts, but not rejected by society, but rejected by DC editorial. Mixing young and old heroes on the same team could be interesting, Marvel is doing it with ANAD Avengers.
    How much support would DC editorial give such a book?

I like the premise, and potential cast.