Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Comic books for kids

Continuing from an older discussion, which comic books are kid-friendly, either aimed squarely at kids or have appeal to both kids and adults?

I forgot to mention Asterix and Tintin, which were also a big part of my childhood.
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

BB

From previous thread:

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    There are currently also Dc child comics like Batman 66 and Tiny Titans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I grew up on superhero comics, so if somebody asks me what would I give to a child (who can already read, because smaller children should obviously read Tiny titans and stuff like that with their parents), I would recommend Atomic robo or Super Dinosaur from current stuff. I would have gone bananas for those as an 8-10 year old. Hell, I go bananas for Robo any time
    Also, The Batgirl/Robin year one book reminded me a lot to the Batman TAS which I always loved, so maybe that would be a good book too (maybe for kids over 10, there are some violence, but kids nowadays handle this stuff beter than I did).
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmshalone View Post
    Unfortunately for me Superhero comics could never be found on South African shelves save a few titles (which is still the case). They worked out way too expensive (until the internet came along), which is why I grew up on virtually everything else, like Harvey comics (Richie Rich, Casper, etc), Archie, Garfield, Calvin & Hobbes, and my once-favourite: Mad Magazine. If ever there was a publication that I wish for a return to form, it's Mad. It seems to be coming back, but it lost much of its sophistication and turned a little juvenile in the 2000's.

And say what you want about Archie comics, those books do a lot to get kids reading.

P.S: It's sad that because of the prices of comic books here, there are kids who love superheroes yet don't even know monthly stories of them exist!

Super Dinosaur by Kirkman
    Lucky Luke, especially the Morris & Goscinny stories
    Spirou (don't know if it got a different name in English), especially the Franquin stories

Incredible Member

My daughters (3 and 5) love My Little Pony comics -- neither of them can read yet (though the older one's learning quickly), but they love the pictures and the characters from TV.

I bought a full run of Leave it to Chance when we found out we were having a daughter.

Mail Order Ninja

Bone

My six year old has her own comic collection at this point, much of which we have read together. We have an entire thread for kids' comics over at the Classic Comics Forum, and she listed and reviewed her collection there:

http://classiccomics.boards.net/post/3655/thread

Her write-ups may not be all that helpful to you, so I'll summarize in saying the books she's gotten the most out of are Amethyst (great fantasy about a kid becoming a beautiful grown-up princess with tremendous powers -- and it's well written, even from an adult viewpoint), My Little Pony, and the Archie stuff.

Does anyone know if Harvey comics was purchased by another publisher? Or if it's still in print in some way. Maybe it's just that part of my childhood speaking, but I would think they'd still be pretty valuable, especially if it was marketed to 4-8 year olds. Doesn't DC usually buy publishers going out of business? lol

My six year old loves the My Little Pony series. Though I'm kind of sick of reading/re-reading them at this point.

We also read Donald Duck together from the recent Fantagraphics collections (we have Lost in the Andes & Castle's Secret).

But I'm looking for new books as well. Looking forward to following this thread.

Incredible Member

Does anyone know if Harvey comics was purchased by another publisher? Or if it's still in print in some way. Maybe it's just that part of my childhood speaking, but I would think they'd still be pretty valuable, especially if it was marketed to 4-8 year olds. Doesn't DC usually buy publishers going out of business? lol
    From http://harveycomics.50webs.com/harveyhist.htm :

Harvey Entertainment, meanwhile, ceased publishing again in 1994. Montgomery was ousted in 1997 and the company changed names to Sunland Entertainment in 2000, the current owners of the Harvey characters. The licensing of the Harvey characters is currently handled by Classic Media.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    Since then Classic Media has been bought by Dreamworks.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

What about Marvels Oz stuff? When I read the first volume I thought it would be a good read for a child. Now I have a daughter of my own I'll definitely read it with her. She is not yet two so that might have to wait a while.

The Golden and Silver age DC and Marvel comics are very kid friendly. Everything was All Ages until Watchmen, lol.

The Golden and Silver age DC and Marvel comics are very kid friendly. Everything was All Ages until Watchmen, lol.
    Yeah but how interested are 7-10 year old kids in those material? They have videogames, I-tingamajigs, Transformers movies and whatnot, I'm not sure they will go crazy about Superboy using his superbreath to blow the Earth into orbit.
    Of course, I hope I'm wrong, I have no kids but my 10 year old halfbrother was really unimpressed when I gave him the first Superdinosaur trade.

Last night my wife started reading our 6-year old the Muppets omnibus, and she was like "I don't get it. This isn't funny", no less than 2 pages later I hear them both giggling at the book.

Asterix, Spirou, Lucky Luke the usual suspects in Europe. Perhaps 2 more great ideas might be our little indian friend "Yakari", probably more for kids in the 6-7 age range (you can have a look here : http://www.amazon.com/Yakari-Great-E...eywords=yakari) or Detective "Clifton" which is quite funny for adults as well (if you like the humor). here's a link with a preview: http://www.amazon.com/Jade-Clifton-D...s=bob+de+groot
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo