Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Comic books for kids

Continuing from an older discussion, which comic books are kid-friendly, either aimed squarely at kids or have appeal to both kids and adults?

I forgot to mention Asterix and Tintin, which were also a big part of my childhood.
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

BB

From previous thread:

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    There are currently also Dc child comics like Batman 66 and Tiny Titans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I grew up on superhero comics, so if somebody asks me what would I give to a child (who can already read, because smaller children should obviously read Tiny titans and stuff like that with their parents), I would recommend Atomic robo or Super Dinosaur from current stuff. I would have gone bananas for those as an 8-10 year old. Hell, I go bananas for Robo any time
    Also, The Batgirl/Robin year one book reminded me a lot to the Batman TAS which I always loved, so maybe that would be a good book too (maybe for kids over 10, there are some violence, but kids nowadays handle this stuff beter than I did).
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmshalone View Post
    Unfortunately for me Superhero comics could never be found on South African shelves save a few titles (which is still the case). They worked out way too expensive (until the internet came along), which is why I grew up on virtually everything else, like Harvey comics (Richie Rich, Casper, etc), Archie, Garfield, Calvin & Hobbes, and my once-favourite: Mad Magazine. If ever there was a publication that I wish for a return to form, it's Mad. It seems to be coming back, but it lost much of its sophistication and turned a little juvenile in the 2000's.

And say what you want about Archie comics, those books do a lot to get kids reading.

P.S: It's sad that because of the prices of comic books here, there are kids who love superheroes yet don't even know monthly stories of them exist!

Super Dinosaur by Kirkman
    Lucky Luke, especially the Morris & Goscinny stories
    Spirou (don't know if it got a different name in English), especially the Franquin stories

Incredible Member

My daughters (3 and 5) love My Little Pony comics -- neither of them can read yet (though the older one's learning quickly), but they love the pictures and the characters from TV.

I bought a full run of Leave it to Chance when we found out we were having a daughter.

Mail Order Ninja

Bone

My six year old has her own comic collection at this point, much of which we have read together. We have an entire thread for kids' comics over at the Classic Comics Forum, and she listed and reviewed her collection there:

http://classiccomics.boards.net/post/3655/thread

Her write-ups may not be all that helpful to you, so I'll summarize in saying the books she's gotten the most out of are Amethyst (great fantasy about a kid becoming a beautiful grown-up princess with tremendous powers -- and it's well written, even from an adult viewpoint), My Little Pony, and the Archie stuff.