Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Incredible Member

Anyone have any experience with Herobear and the Kid? Critically its been received very well but what critics like and what kids actually like don't always line up.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Yeah but how interested are 7-10 year old kids in those material? They have videogames, I-tingamajigs, Transformers movies and whatnot, I'm not sure they will go crazy about Superboy using his superbreath to blow the Earth into orbit.
    Of course, I hope I'm wrong, I have no kids but my 10 year old halfbrother was really unimpressed when I gave him the first Superdinosaur trade.
    In my experience they eat it up.

Owly from TopShelf.
    Smurf from Papercutz.

The Toon Treasury of Classic Children's Comics is an essential book. It's a gorgeous hardcover collecting comics from the early days to the '60s, with tons of the most famous stuff (Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge, Little Lulu, Dennis the Menace, Pogo, Captain Marvel) and a whole lot of cool obscure stuff. It's one of the best comics collections I own. A great introduction to those characters (I'm a huge Scrooge/Donald fan), and its got enormous variety, so even if the kid doesn't like one thing there's still a dozen other, different things in there.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpace View Post
    Owly from TopShelf.
    I've had Owly recommended from others as well. I looked at some preview pages online, and there don't seem to be all that many words in the first few pages. Is this a book for early readers? Because I think we'd just breeze through it if it was mostly just the art.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    I've had Owly recommended from others as well. I looked at some preview pages online, and there don't seem to be all that many words in the first few pages. Is this a book for early readers? Because I think we'd just breeze through it if it was mostly just the art.
    I've only read the FCBD issues, and no, not a lot of words (right now I can't remember if there were any words at all). I think text wise you'd call it early readers, but story wise I'm guessing children up to 10 or so. I didn't get the feeling of Teletubbies level in stories.

I grew up with Carl Bark's Disney stories. My mom would read them for me, from when I was around 4 years old. I know that some of them have been collected, and I guess kids would still find them entertaining. Some adults may also find them worth reading.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpace View Post
    I grew up with Carl Bark's Disney stories. My mom would read them for me, from when I was around 4 years old. I know that some of them have been collected, and I guess kids would still find them entertaining. Some adults may also find them worth reading.
    Some? Everyone should find Barks worth reading.
    BB

A couple comics not mentioned yet, which appeal to kids of either gender:

Bryan Q Miller's run on Batgirl.

Kieron Gillen's run on Journey Into Mystery......Gillen's run is intelligently written, but it appeals to both kids and adults. My son was 9 when he read Gillen's run, and he enjoyed it immensely. I do know some of the content went over his head, which is the cool aspect of Gillen's run. As a child gets older, he/she can re-read this and appreciate it at another level.

The smurfs by Peyo and Popeye by Bud Sagendorf. Fun for all ages.

In the back of the later issues of Super Dinosaur, there are some previews of Chris Giarrusso's G-Man vol. 3. I think that might also be worth trying.

Weisinger-era Superman comics are fun and kid-friendly.
    Spirou by André Franquin is great and can be enjoyed by kids as well as adults.
    Duck comics by Carl Barks - a classic.

Amazing Member Prince Disarming's Avatar

Lumberjanes is a relatively new all ages friendly comic and it looks like a real winner. I've only picked up the first issue so far, but it is quite charming. It follows a group campers whose camp happens to be surrounded by a woods filled with weird supernatural creatures. It has the same sort of absurdist humor that reminds me of the TV show Adventure Time.

Incredible Member

Got The Last Unicorn for my nephews. I grew up on the animated movie, but never read the book. But I didn't realize there was a comic version until I stumbled on it at my LCS. I thought it was quite good. My nephews are 4 and 7 and they read it with their friend who is 7 as well. They all loved it. There's a standard HC version and a deluxe oversized version.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Unico...e+last+unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Disarming View Post
    Lumberjanes is a relatively new all ages friendly comic and it looks like a real winner. I've only picked up the first issue so far, but it is quite charming. It follows a group campers whose camp happens to be surrounded by a woods filled with weird supernatural creatures. It has the same sort of absurdist humor that reminds me of the TV show Adventure Time.
    lumberjanes is absolutely fantastic.

also bee and puppycat are aimed more towards the child audience but i really enjoy it.