Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Disney Shutting Down Games Division, Discontinuing "Disney Infinity"

Disney is paying up $147 million for the discontinuation of their games division, which includes the "Disney Infinity" line.

Full article here.

BANNED

Boo. I never got my Scarlet Witch Disney Infinity figurine.

Oh well. Likely wasn't going to happen anyway.

Isn't that the only game they develop nowadays?

Empty is thy hand!

Profit motive, above all.

Same thing happened to Star Wars and all these other franchises that were whored out into mediocre sequels. Disney wrings their products dry, and drops them like a rock when they stop being cash cows.

Um, bad move IMO.

This could have been the next Amiibo if Disney stuck with it and didn't treat it like a backburning project.
    aka(s). o-bunⓐi-o // ⓓcembⓘrth

Sorry for any misspellings or grammar mistakes

Last edited by Crazed T'Challa x Emma x Namor shipper; Yesterday at 00:00 UM.

Weird considering they never really put much effort into it.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Well, I'm glad that I never invested in a next-gen gaming system and any of these figures yet. I suppose they will all make nice knick-knacks for shelves? Will people who own these devices still get to play online?

Has anybody done an audit of how many Marvel characters were produced?

I really hope this doesn't mean we will be losing Avengers Alliance on facebook.

I've been playing that daily for years
    We need better comics

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

And nothing of value was lost.

But yea, sucks for all the kids/people out there that loved the Disney Infinity games.

But hey, maybe they can use some of that money they would have used making games towards putting more of their TV cartoons on DVD! (Seriously Disney give me my Gravity Falls season sets already!)
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Well, I'm glad that I never invested in a next-gen gaming system and any of these figures yet. I suppose they will all make nice knick-knacks for shelves? Will people who own these devices still get to play online?

Has anybody done an audit of how many Marvel characters were produced?
    Disney did.

https://infinity.disney.com/characters/marvel

I thought that series was doing pretty well but I guess it's not to surprising. Disney has made it pretty clear over the years they don't care about making video games and if the sales were just "pretty good" and not "amazingly good" I can see that being a good excuse for them to finally be pretty much fully out of the games industry(They have pretty much just given Star Wars to EA(ugh) for the next 10 years and I can't even remember the last time a Marvel game came out).

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I seriously hope this means Marvel gets to finally stop with all the IOS crap alongside Infinity and have solid developers work on proper console Marvel games again to challenge Injustice and the Arkham series.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I really hope this doesn't mean we will be losing Avengers Alliance on facebook.

I've been playing that daily for years
    I think that game is under the licensing; besides, unlike Infinity, it's pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I seriously hope this means Marvel gets to finally stop with all the IOS crap alongside Infinity and have solid developers work on proper console Marvel games again to challenge Injustice and the Arkham series.
    That's as likely as DC/Warner firing Zack Snyder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunai View Post
    Um, bad move IMO.

This could have been the next Amiibo if Disney stuck with it and didn't treat it like a backburning project.
    Well, i think that it would have worked if those things werent super expensive.
    Last edited by dragonmp93; 05-10-2016 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    It really won't change that.

Marvel has the Lego Marvel game done by WB and the telltale game coming soon so its not like they were against licensing stuff.
    We need better comics

I laugh that people are complaining about the fact that Disney is shutting it down because it wasn't as profitable as they had hoped. No company in the world, especially a major one like Disney, is going to continue to produce a product that isn't profitable. This just means that all of the figures should be going on sale in the coming months.
    Pull List: Everything DC. Plus the all of the X-Men books, Deadpool, Invincible, The Walking Dead, and various other titles I can't think of at the moment.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I'm kind of also curious if the Toy to Game craze has burst it's bubble? I dunno about Skylanders or Amiibo but with the last confirmed wave of LEGO Dimensions toys out there there's been no word of any successive new worlds or a second game.

Anyway, if there could be one nice thing to come out of this, it's Marvel considering a Super Smash style game for its characters in the same vein as Battlegrounds, albeit with all the needless toy purchases.