Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    You don't. You recast, add new members, and keep chugging until the well is completely dry.
    That, basically, though I really, really hope Feige and co will come to realize that recasting is NOT a good idea and will settle for legacy characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    I disagree. Westerns are limited by their genre, whereas Superheros routinely genre jump. So far we have had action films, war films, spy films, heist films, horror films, sci-fi films, fantasy/sci-fi films, and that is just getting going... If anything, superhero films will defy fatigue by continuing to keep things fresh. We now currently have another period/fantasy film coming (WW), and a psychedelic head trip (Doctor Strange) as well as another Sci-Fi Actioner. As long as the films remain entertaining, we will se more and more of them coming down the pike.
    But, you're wrong on this. What is the western genre? It's basically just the settings, which is the west during a certain time. It's also not even really the west during a certain time given there are westerns that take place out of both of those things.

You do know all those different things you listed off have been done in Westerns? Those things plus other things. Western also exists over a far greater span of tones than superhero movies have so far. And what's the superhero horror film, I mean films? I can't think of one superhero movie I would also call a horror movie. Ichi the Killer I guess...although it has no superhero in it. I can on the other hand thing of some different western horror films, hell, at least one came out just last year.

At least one of Marvel's own movie even plays more like a western (albeit one in space) than it does a superhero movie.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

You just recast the characters and keep going. Not hard at all. The only two that would be hard would be Robert Downey Jr.'s IRON MAN and Chris Evans' Cap.

Member in Disguise

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    I disagree. Westerns are limited by their genre, whereas Superheros routinely genre jump. So far we have had action films, war films, spy films, heist films, horror films, sci-fi films, fantasy/sci-fi films, and that is just getting going... If anything, superhero films will defy fatigue by continuing to keep things fresh. We now currently have another period/fantasy film coming (WW), and a psychedelic head trip (Doctor Strange) as well as another Sci-Fi Actioner. As long as the films remain entertaining, we will se more and more of them coming down the pike.
    Last Man Standing (Excelent Usagi Yojimbo remake starring Bruce Willis), Jonah Hex, and Wild Wild West are all Westerns. The genre has a lot more latitude than you give it.
    ...Expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

We will know it's over when The Avengers is a goofy cartoon show on Disney channel like Teen Titans Go! on Cartoon network.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Personally I'd end it with an "Ω The Unknown" movie.

Member in Disguise

Quote Originally Posted by goof View Post
    We will know it's over when The Avengers is a goofy cartoon show on Disney channel like Teen Titans Go! on Cartoon network.
    Been there, done that. See Marvel Super Hero Squad.
    ...Expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by zhris View Post
    Been there, done that. See Marvel Super Hero Squad.
    You're right. I forgot about that.

Does Marvel have a "Dial 'H' for Hero" like series that could never end?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    You just recast the characters and keep going. Not hard at all. The only two that would be hard would be Robert Downey Jr.'s IRON MAN and Chris Evans' Cap.
    They really may as well just introduce new different characters. I'm sure these characters when recast will basically feel like new different characters anyways. So why not have fun with the seemingly never ending MCU, let it actually move on with different people? Even if those different people happen to be someone a whole lot like Iron Man and Captain America. You could say they need these same characters go on and on, but they don't really. The team the form under, The Avengers, that thing that ties them (mostly) all together, that's really the only thing they need to keep ongoing. Not like Captain America needs to always be Steve Rogers, or that the "Iron Man" guy in a robot suit always needs to be Tony Stark.

It's going to be really weird if they bring someone in for Iron Man, have them play Tony Stark, and then have them act like Robert Downey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    They really may as well just introduce new different characters. I'm sure these characters when recast will basically feel like new different characters anyways. So why not have fun with the seemingly never ending MCU, let it actually move on with different people? Even if those different people happen to be someone a whole lot like Iron Man and Captain America. You could say they need these same characters go on and on, but they don't really. The team the form under, The Avengers, that thing that ties them (mostly) all together, that's really the only thing they need to keep ongoing. Not like Captain America needs to always be Steve Rogers, or that the "Iron Man" guy in a robot suit always needs to be Tony Stark.

It's going to be really weird if they bring someone in for Iron Man, have them play Tony Stark, and then have them act like Robert Downey Jr.
    I agree, to an extent. I'm all for new characters, but let us not forget what we are discussing here. Sure, Steve Rodgers has to be Captain America and Tony Stark has to be Iron Man. I don't care for added on legacy anyway. It works for the Flash, sure, but not everyone.

3 different actors have played Bruce Banner in this continuity, it isn't a big deal. Thor lives on, as does Cap, as does Iron Man.

I agree, to an extent. I'm all for new characters, but let us not forget what we are discussing here. Sure, Steve Rodgers has to be Captain America and Tony Stark has to be Iron Man. I don't care for added on legacy anyway. It works for the Flash, sure, but not everyone.

3 different actors have played Bruce Banner in this continuity, it isn't a big deal. Thor lives on, as does Cap, as does Iron Man.
    Pretty sure banna doesnt count as in continuity does it? God I hope not, it was made my universal anyway right. Then marvel stuidios did Incredible Hulk and universal distributed it,

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Pretty sure banna doesnt count as in continuity does it? God I hope not, it was made my universal anyway right. Then marvel stuidios did Incredible Hulk and universal distributed it,
    I don't see any reason for it not to be. The Incredible Hulk flick outright references it, during the opening credits. There's nothing in it that can't be cannon.

I don't see any reason for it not to be. The Incredible Hulk flick outright references it, during the opening credits. There's nothing in it that can't be cannon.
    It wasnt a Marvel Studios movie, marvel studios didnt even exist. I dont remember any references to a dad injected a baby with animal dna or someshit, maybe he was trying to cure him iono the movie was awful. Not to mention every character is recast. They dont go out there way to disconnect the two movies but I saw nothing that said they were connected

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    But, you're wrong on this. What is the western genre? It's basically just the settings, which is the west during a certain time. It's also not even really the west during a certain time given there are westerns that take place out of both of those things.

You do know all those different things you listed off have been done in Westerns? Those things plus other things. Western also exists over a far greater span of tones than superhero movies have so far. And what's the superhero horror film, I mean films? I can't think of one superhero movie I would also call a horror movie. Ichi the Killer I guess...although it has no superhero in it. I can on the other hand thing of some different western horror films, hell, at least one came out just last year.

At least one of Marvel's own movie even plays more like a western (albeit one in space) than it does a superhero movie.
    You do see that (1) you are contradicting yourself there and (2) if we go by your first part of the statement that a western is basically just the settings during a certain time, then that totally supports my position that Westerns are limited while superheros are not. Heck, there have even been western superheroes.

So any way you want to slice it, Superhero stories encompass a lot more storytelling ground than westerns do.

[Mic Drop!!!]