View Poll Results: Which Image comic was your favourite this week?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Apes & Babes: Volume 1

0 0%
  • Faster Than Light #6

0 0%
  • The Fix #2

2 16.67%
  • Grizzly Shark #2 (of 3): Grizzly Shark Returns

0 0%
  • Island Magazine #7

0 0%
  • Jupiter's Circle Vol. 2 #6 (of 6)

0 0%
  • Pencil Head #4 (of 5)

0 0%
  • Prophet: Earth War #4 (of 6)

2 16.67%
  • Shutter #21

1 8.33%
  • Southern Bastards #14

7 58.33%
  • Think Tank: Creative Destruction #2

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Weekly Image poll #19 - Reprints galore!

Hello and welcome back to the weekly Image round-up. Vote for your faves and chat about them!

Last week's poll was another tight one, with Stray Bullets juuuuust losing out to The Wicked + The Divine! Although if we accept Matt Levin's proposal to always give the win to Stray Bullets regardless, things would look a lil different of course! (And Ragdoll's heart wouldn't be broken.)

So what's interesting this week? It's the week of reprints it seems! The Discipline reprints both its first 2 issues, which could well indicate a successful series launch. Pop Gun War gets reprinted in trade paperback format, Faster Than Light starts its second storyline, Grizzly Shark and Pencil Head both hit their penultimate issues, Southern Bastards ends its current arc as does Jupiter's Circle Volume 2.

Alongside the noteworthy collection of Pop Gun War, this week also sees Frank Cho getting a dedicated softcover collection. This is exactly what it says on the tin: Apes & Babes: Volume 1.

248957.jpg

Just Southern Bastards for me (About damn time). I'm sure I won't have a problem voting for it.

Probably Southern Bastards, but The Fix #1 was really good so I'll give #2 a shot before auto-voting SB.

The Fix, Shutter, and Southern Bastards for me this week.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Southern Bastards for me (About damn time).
    Yeah, about damn time. But don't worry, it's going on hiatus after this issue so they can get ahead for the next arc. Lame.

I don't like to talk **** on creators or tell them how to live their lives, but Latour has been constantly traveling for conventions over the last... 6-12 months? I've seen other creators do this. I know conventions and **** are important, but so is getting your books out on a semi regular basis.

I can handle delays, but these dudes are dragging a ton of ass. The last two issues that came out monthly was when Latour didn't draw one of those issues.

Sucks, because this book is fantastic, but the last issue came out in January and that's ridiculous.

I just read Southern Bastards and loved it, but the letters page notes left me confused and miffed. I thought this was the start of a new arc, but apparently it was the delayed end of the last arc, and the hiatus we have endured is already back on. This is a little crazy.

No singles this week, just the newest collection of The Fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    I just read Southern Bastards and loved it, but the letters page notes left me confused and miffed. I thought this was the start of a new arc, but apparently it was the delayed end of the last arc, and the hiatus we have endured is already back on. This is a little crazy.
    Nope, this was the end of Homecoming, but it's hard to remember when the last issue came out 5 months ago. Good thing this arc was mostly one-shots.

I hope they get it back on track, these kinds of delays can really end up hurting a book in the long run.

Spectacular Member

Just Shutter and Jupiter's Circle for me this week, Vote goes to Shutter.

Abe Sapien has to be the best this week but it's Dark Horse. Can't believe the main titles in that universe are almost over.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that every Image book is going on a hiatus after their most recent arc is over so they have lead time. Image is trying to stop all the late books by giving everyone a head start on the next art.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    I thought it was pretty common knowledge that every Image book is going on a hiatus after their most recent arc is over so they have lead time. Image is trying to stop all the late books by giving everyone a head start on the next art.
    That is a case by case basis. Image is supposedly requiring new titles to have issues in the can to prevent delays, but ongoing titles aren't included as far as I know. For example, The Walking Dead does not need hiatuses to stay on schedule. Image isn't going to force them to take a break after every arc.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

It's something a lot of books are electing to do, but it isn't something Image are forcing, as Capuga rightly stated.

It is also quite different than taking five months to get an issue out, and announcing a hiatus to get ahead immediately after.

All-New Member

Right, but with Southern Bastards, issue 13 came out in January and issue 14 finally came out today, almost 4 months later, to finish the arc. And then they are going on another hiatus for multiple months. It is the same kind of issues Sex Criminals has been having. Having a hiatus in between arcs to allow the creators to get ahead of their shipping schedule is OK, but having issues within an arc coming out sporadically can be frustrating. Hopefully it doesn't lead to a good book ending too soon. It's understandable that things happen. These guys are busy working on multiple comics while also balancing other work (conventions and such) as well as family life. But some people will completely give up on a book when there is no consistency in its release schedule. I really don't mind it much, I get excited when I see new issues of a series I like pop up, but a lot of people are less forgiving when it comes to erratic release schedules.

Also, it isn't an "Image thing". Some creators do it, others don't. I think Saga is an example of using the hiatus scheduling perfectly, because the break is pretty much consistently 3-4 months, the trade comes out in the middle of that hiatus, and when they come back, it is 6 monthly issues without any inconsistency in the release schedule. As someone else mentioned, The Walking Dead is going strong without hiatuses and irregularities in their schedule. Depends on the creators, I guess.

Maybe for Southern Bastards, Jason Aaron and/or Jason Latour got really busy with other work. I've noticed The Goddamned has also been a while since the last issue came out.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    It's something a lot of books are electing to do, but it isn't something Image are forcing, as Capuga rightly stated.

It is also quite different than taking five months to get an issue out, and announcing a hiatus to get ahead immediately after.
    Well, hopefully this hiatus will prevent a delay like this from happening again.

Anyway, I am reading Southern Bastards and The Fix this week.

I know that, my complaint is that I thought I already HAD sat through the hiatus, only to realize that it was just a delay, and that this is now the real hiatus.