Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Raptor View Post
    Oh dear.... oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!!
    This was exactly my reaction!!! oh... and a facepalm!!!

And I love Celine Dion, I prefer her music in french though, but please, the 90's have a lot of good singers and bands... in my case being a latina I know more Latino music from that era than English...

Why not Michael Jackson??? He is 80's and 90's legend!!! He is his Majesty Pop's music king!!!

Quote Originally Posted by datugu View Post
    Why not Michael Jackson??? He is 80's and 90's legend!!! He is his Majesty Pop's music king!!!
    He was huge in the '80s, but by the '90s he was getting a bit passe, at least with the under 25 crowd.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Aerosmith is more popular than Nirvana
    Aerosmith had some 90s smash hits but they were formed and began in the 80s. Nirvana and the Grunge bands and genre it brought to mainstream dominated the first 6 years of rock music in the decade... then boy bands and pseudo-metal groups (I think it was called Nu Metal? You know, KoRn, Staind, POD, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park...) took over. Just my outlook.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Aerosmith had some 90s smash hits but they were formed and began in the 80s.
    Might want to set the Way Back machine back a little bit further than that.

Try 1970. No 's. 70.

I think Nirvana, Pearl Jam, The Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots or Soundgarden would have stuck better with me as a throwback to 1992. I didn't even know who The Flaming Lips were in 1992. But the early to mid 90s was when rock music had its last great time in the mainstream. Tragically, rock music fans are easily the most demanding and picky music fans out there. Rock fans become bored with their music far faster than country, pop or rap fans do. That is why those three genres can keep pumping out the same exact slop over and over and over again and their fans keep eating it up and never get bored with it. Rock bands simply do not have that luxury. If a rock band can't produce a revolutionary album each time they release something new, then rock fans leave that band behind.
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Autumn, Klone, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing & tons more!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
    I think Nirvana, Pearl Jam, The Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots or Soundgarden would have stuck better with me as a throwback to 1992. I didn't even know who The Flaming Lips were in 1992. But the early to mid 90s was when rock music had its last great time in the mainstream. Tragically, rock music fans are easily the most demanding and picky music fans out there. Rock fans become bored with their music far faster than country, pop or rap fans do. That is why those three genres can keep pumping out the same exact slop over and over and over again and their fans keep eating it up and never get bored with it. Rock bands simply do not have that luxury. If a rock band can't produce a revolutionary album each time they release something new, then rock fans leave that band behind.
    Yes and no. There's a lot of rock bands that have alienated their fans BY doing something different, or changing their personnel (IE the current controversy over Axl Rose joining AC/DC).

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Yes and no. There's a lot of rock bands that have alienated their fans BY doing something different, or changing their personnel (IE the current controversy over Axl Rose joining AC/DC).
    That is true of some bands. One 90s band that undeniably plummeted from grace in a blazing fire of tragedy was Silverchair. Their first three albums were incredible, fourth was decent and the fifth was an abomination against existence. But there is also a mass delusion among rock music that a band "matures" when they are no longer doing heavy music and that "guitars are for kids". It makes me quite bitter when people try to tell me that a band "evolved" when they dropped their heavy sound and that you can only love or play rock music up to a certain age. As with the X-Men, I still love all the things today that I loved back in the 90s and probably won't ever stop loving them until they either change beyond recognition (modern day X-Men) or until I am dead.
    Last edited by FlawedCoil82; 05-12-2016 at 08:11 PM.
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Autumn, Klone, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing & tons more!

Quote Originally Posted by ERON View Post
    He was huge in the '80s, but by the '90s he was getting a bit passe, at least with the under 25 crowd.
    But This Is It was massive and came out right in this era, with the themes being appropriate for the X-Men. It would have been epic if he invited Ororo on stage and serenaded her with "Black or White".

I think the Flaming Lips are cool tho

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    But This Is It was massive and came out right in this era, with the themes being appropriate for the X-Men. It would have been epic if he invited Ororo on stage and serenaded her with "Black or White".

I think the Flaming Lips are cool tho
    This Is It came out in 2009. You're thinking of Dangerous, which was a hit for sure. I'm just saying that teenagers at the time were so over MJ by the time Dangerous came out, and had moved on to other, hipper artists. It was mostly older folks who bought that record, like twenty-somethings who had been teens back when Thriller and Bad were new. I'm speaking from experience, having been a teen at the time.

This Is It came out in 2009. You're thinking of Dangerous, which was a hit for sure. I'm just saying that teenagers at the time were so over MJ by the time Dangerous came out, and had moved on to other, hipper artists. It was mostly older folks who bought that record, like twenty-somethings who had been teens back when Thriller and Bad were new. I'm speaking from experience, having been a teen at the time.
    I was also teen in the 90's and MJ was huge for us... but also all these cute boys bands!!!

Remember that, maybe where you lived he was no more famous, but he was still famous and a lot in other states and countries!!!

Quote Originally Posted by datugu View Post
    I was also teen in the 90's and MJ was huge for us... but also all these cute boys bands!!!

Remember that, maybe where you lived he was no more famous, but he was still famous and a lot in other states and countries!!!
    Fair enough. I never said he wasn't famous anymore in the '90s, just that pretty much all the teenagers I knew at the time thought he was outdated by the time Dangerous came out. By the late '90s, when the boy bands you alluded to started getting hot, I remember MJ's popularity was resurgent as well. That would have been around the time HIStory came out. (Man, at the time it seemed like forever between MJ albums, but looking back now it was only about 4 years!)

Oh oops my bad regarding Dangerous/TII. I'll take your word for teens not being super into him in the 90's but a lot of adults like my parents and their friends were still crazy about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Oh oops my bad regarding Dangerous/TII. I'll take your word for teens not being super into him in the 90's but a lot of adults like my parents and their friends were still crazy about him.
    Oh, absolutely.