Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default How capable are you of keeping your "cool" in an argument?

Whenever you're in a debate or an argument with someone or find yourself into any situation where you have to deal with someone you don't like and if he insults or attacks you, how well are you at maintaining your "cool"?

What does the saying "lose your cool" mean? And why is it always important to stay "cool" in any situation?

i'm pretty good with it. i always tend to bite my tongue first before i reply. and it takes a lot to get me to react. think it helps that i always try and think about where someone else is coming from first.

not sure where the saying itself came from but i think its important to stay cool in situations because then we arent blinded by are emotions and do or say things we'll regret later. level heads prevail

Losing one's Cool is visualized as an old Radiator in a car or a house where the water in it gets way too hot and it blows from the steam.

It's not that hard to stay calm if you know ahead of time what to expect and can prepare for it. Though some people can't help but get overly emotional. If you feel yourself about to get angry, use a technique like taking a slow, deep breath or counting slowly until the urge to explode passes.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

BANNED

I'm always cool, but since I like to curse allot, people normally assume I'm angry. But i guess that translates bad in text, unless you knew me personally. Those horrible Power Ranger suits had me almost lose my cool at f***s who accused me of living in the past/viewing though nostalgia goggle etc, but then I remembered that it was just their assumption and stupid people would always be stupid.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Depends on the person, most of the time I am pretty good at keeping cool in an argument, but there's afew relatives that really know how to push my buttons.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

I tend to avoid getting into arguments or confrontations in the first place. I'd rather just shrug it off then get into a heated debate over something.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

BANNED

^Me in real life, though that's cuz I suck at arguing in real life.

Fantastic Member

I really find it unbelievable how people get overly hurt/bent out of shape with debates or discussions on the internet. As far as I am concerned, I default to everyone on the internet is a false persona, until I get to know them otherwise. If I just figure people who blow up to the point they get banned or posts deleted, have to be doing it for entertainment. I just can't imagine any discussion on the internet being that important.

As far as in person; I usually just avoid the conversation going that way. And/or stay silent when they do. My wife is the only one I really debate/discuss "controversial" subjects with.

007 girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Sniper View Post
    Whenever you're in a debate or an argument with someone or find yourself into any situation where you have to deal with someone you don't like and if he insults or attacks you, how well are you at maintaining your "cool"?
    Depends. Been in some girl brawls at Duran Duran concerts that almost got us arrested. Ah....memories....
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

I love a good debate, but I can get infuriated arguing with people who are deliberately obtuse. I've had a couple of run-ins with someone on the Bleeding Cool boards (I won't name him, but he ends every post with "Cheers"). That guy is a nightmare to argue with because he always resorts to deliberately "misunderstanding" what you say and giving sarcastic responses to his pretend misunderstanding rather than what you're actually saying.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Online? Yeah easy. Much easier than in 'real' life actually.

I don't hold much stock over the opinions of people who are, at my end of things, a codename, an avatar and a post-count. I've pretty much stopped all online debating on here, especially over on the DC board which I just can't be arsed with anymore. The posters on there aren't doing anything wrong as such, this is an internet forum, but I can't be bothered getting into arguments with what is essentially a computer screen.

Heck, I even get mad at scenarios that occur only in my own imagination.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

BANNED

I honestly can't be a part of the PR fandom anymore. It's very toxic to my mind. I rarely act on it but i'm just fine with liking the show without having to be around people.

I honestly try to avoid most arguments. I wouldn't say that I am a loose cannon but in my experience people tend to try and get a "rise" out of you by saying things that are unreasonable. Also, (in my experience) people tend to not add relevant info to the conversation and usually try to justify things they say with "Because I said so.", and that infuriates me.

So, I stay out of it unless it is really a "good" level-headed argument/discussion.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I pretty much never lose my cool.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier