Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Laura as Wolverine is just pretty well deserved
    I read both books (ANW and Old Man Logan) and I wrote earlier that Laura doesn't Wolverine style. Her book is "adventure of a typical teenage girl," but not the adventure of an adult male, with great experience and a heavy load of past years". Marvel is now doing a lot of new books with bright young girls like Laura, Gwenpool, Ms. Marvel, Silk, and so on. However, they can not replace Peter Parker, James Howlett. Deadpool...

Spectacular Member Emilio Garra's Avatar

LOL no... hell no and I actually like the character of X-23 as I'm sure most Wolverine fans do also, but saying Laura is a better Wolverine than Logan is just silly to me. Logan IS Wolverine, Laura IS X-23, no matter what the current status is. Logan has too much history on his side, while Laura is still fairly new. I'll say it again, I actually like Laura as a character... as a matter of fact, I'd say she's the only new mutant created after 2000 worth a damn(the others can die in another mansion explosion for all I care). I thinks it's best for her to forge her own legacy/name because I feel the longer she's under the mantle of "Wolverine", she'll lose her identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio Garra View Post
    but saying Laura is a better Wolverine than Logan is just silly to me.

I would like to Laura's fans go to the streets and ask people "who are better - Wolverine or Laura X23".
    I am sure that most everyone will ask "Laura X23? Who is that?"
    Last edited by Jumbo; 05-12-2016 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I read both books (ANW and Old Man Logan) and I wrote earlier that Laura doesn't Wolverine style. Her book is "adventure of a typical teenage girl," but not the adventure of an adult male, with great experience and a heavy load of past years". Marvel is now doing a lot of new books with bright young girls like Laura, Gwenpool, Ms. Marvel, Silk, and so on. However, they can not replace Peter Parker, James Howlett. Deadpool...
    She doesn't have to be like Logan at everything. She already has his powers, pratically his background, his DNA and now his codename and costume. If she also acts like him all the time and her book feels the same as Logan's, she won't be Laura Kinney as Wolverine but Logan on a female body.

She was also like a daughter to him, and that relationship is one of the biggest reasons I think she deverses to carry his legacy. And of couse, everything everyone knows on how much they are alike, she was created as female Wolverine in the first place, even if not with that name, but their differences is what makes her character unique and not some lame copy. Other legacy characters like Jane Thor and Sam Cap doesn't even have so many reasons to use other people's mantles like she does.
    Last edited by Wiccan; 05-12-2016 at 12:17 PM.

She doesn't have to be like Logan at everything.
    Ask comics fans what they want to see in a book about Wolverine. Do you believe what they say, "We want to see a teenage girl in a non-original suit, squirrel-girl, teenage clones and selfie"?).

Old Man Logan is far less popular than Laura, and he does not have a popular title, but it is better to sell. Because it is in the style of Wolverine.
    Last edited by Jumbo; 05-12-2016 at 01:16 PM.

Ask comics fans what they want to see in a book about Wolverine. Do you believe what they say, "We want to see a teenage girl in a non-original suit, squirrel-girl, teenage clones and selfie"?).
    Yeah, but the real Wolverine died, and I don't think Marvel wants to bring him back so soon(otherwise OML wouldn't be there), so it's not like he would have his own book right now if it wasn't for Laura. The Squirrel Girl team up was only ONE issue, a kinda of standalone story before the Civil War tie-in arc, while the others had a pretty solid plot that was far from being all cute and fun as you're talking like it was.

I would be more then happy with the current status quo lasting for the foreseeable future. Between being utterly burned out on Logan and my love of Laura and her adventures, I am quite pleased with how things are.

She doesn't have to be like Logan at everything. She already has his powers, pratically his background, his DNA and now his codename and costume. If she also acts like him all the time and her book feels the same as Logan's, she won't be Laura Kinney as Wolverine but Logan on a female body.

She was also like a daughter to him, and that relationship is one of the biggest reasons I think she deverses to carry his legacy. And of couse, everything everyone knows on how much they are alike, she was created as female Wolverine in the first place, even if not with that name, but their differences is what makes her character unique and not some lame copy. Other legacy characters like Jane Thor and Sam Cap doesn't even have so many reasons to use other people's mantles like she does.
    I'd have to disagree with you on Sam Cap. It is natural progression for his character just like her. Steve aged and lost his Serum, Falcon didn't even ask to take up the mantle but was passed the title. Unlike Bucky who basically stole it from Steve who was still alive. I'd even argue that Steve and Sam have spent more time together than Steve and Bucky, they are partners and best friends. There would be no else better for the job, Bucky's proved that and Steve and Ian aren't close enough. Unlike what Steve has done for 3/4 of his career, Sam pushes forward ideals. He wants to progress America, not just punch bad guys in the face.

(sry had to defend him)

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

So far there have been what 7 issues of her book... impossible to determine she is superior to the real Wolverine who has appeared in probably thousands of comic books over decades. Ludicrous comparison. X-23 is a bright young new thing like others pointed out it's the Marvel line-wide trend of "diversity" whether or not the paying fans are interested necessarily, or if it actually makes any story sense. We even get mocked within the book if we dare to question this choice as "mostly guys on the internet" or whatever. Wow. So much for freedom of opinion.

I know Laura/X-23 is like uber popular on this board but I'll be honest I was never a fan of her and I have little interest in her. She is literally designed as a clone of a genuinely popular and established character. And yes, the contrast between her being a teenage girl who is "cutesy" and at the same time a lethal murder machine is "Interesting" but... more on a surface level I have to say.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    So far there have been what 7 issues of her book... impossible to determine she is superior to the real Wolverine who has appeared in probably thousands of comic books over decades. Ludicrous comparison. X-23 is a bright young new thing like others pointed out it's the Marvel line-wide trend of "diversity" whether or not the paying fans are interested necessarily, or if it actually makes any story sense. We even get mocked within the book if we dare to question this choice as "mostly guys on the internet" or whatever. Wow. So much for freedom of opinion.

I know Laura/X-23 is like uber popular on this board but I'll be honest I was never a fan of her and I have little interest in her. She is literally designed as a clone of a genuinely popular and established character. And yes, the contrast between her being a teenage girl who is "cutesy" and at the same time a lethal murder machine is "Interesting" but... more on a surface level I have to say.
    Cutesy?? I tried to stay away from this thread because it has potential flame war written all over it, but Laura is not cutesy not ever.

IMO I liked the character as x-23 and I like her as wolverine, and I will like her when she moves past wolverine and finds her own identity. Saying she's the better wolverine doesn't make sense as wolverine has taken a number of different roles over the years (Assassin, Rebel, Leader, Dissenter, Father, Teacher etc). I try not to get to caught up in the name, Laura is the wolverine because she wants to pay homage to Logan a man she considers her father, she's doing it to honor him not to replace him.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I will say that I buy her comic regularly. What are the sales like?

Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    Cutesy?? I tried to stay away from this thread because it has potential flame war written all over it, but Laura is not cutesy not ever.

IMO I liked the character as x-23 and I like her as wolverine, and I will like her when she moves past wolverine and finds her own identity. Saying she's the better wolverine doesn't make sense as wolverine has taken a number of different roles over the years (Assassin, Rebel, Leader, Dissenter, Father, Teacher etc). I try not to get to caught up in the name, Laura is the wolverine because she wants to pay homage to Logan a man she considers her father, she's doing it to honor him not to replace him.
    For the time being, what she's doing works perfectly well for me.

I heard this dude at my LCS the other day raving about this book but he kept calling her X-Twenterine.

Then this other patron walks up and goes "Its Wolverine. BUB." and walked out.

I was like, "Whaaaaaaaaaaa?" I thought they were gonna throw down for a minute.

Don't forget about the noodles, man!

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    Don't forget about the noodles, man!
    Noodles, of course. And lovely pet. Just like Disney princesses

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio Garra View Post
    I thinks it's best for her to forge her own legacy/name because I feel the longer she's under the mantle of "Wolverine", she'll lose her identity.
    I agree with this, mostly because writers are changing her to fit their mold of what they think Wolverine should be. Taylor has done the best job so far of keeping Laura closer to her roots while moving her forward as Wolverine. Meanwhile, you have Hopeless writing her as Girlverine and whoever wrote the May Marvels or whatever it was called was fairly similar to that. Longtime fans of Laura obviously prefer the Taylor version, but only time will tell which trend will be more common for the character as more writers include her in events and so on/so forth.

There are a lot of stories to be told with Laura using the Wolverine mantle, and considering how much Logan's character was abused up to his death it's a good thing that his character is getting a break. Someday, though, far into the future, I'd like to see her take on the Talon codename like her creators intended.