BANNED

Default did anyone here play the overwatch open beta?

that was so much fun that i was sad to see it end....even brought me back together with two guys on playstation that i had not played with in years

it was something truly exciting and fun to experience even if it was just a small taste....

i downloaded battle born on my ps4, played a while and hated it.
    i was a regular on league of legends so moba-esque games are'nt really out of my depth but the gameplay there frankly....sucked
    even on the vampire assassin guy i can't really get thru the first level as it's too freaking unbalanced.
    'minions' would kick my ass and there's no fun in that

i downloaded overwatch, downloaded it with no hype whatsover and completely loved it.
    during the open beta i would have 3 hour sessions of it everytime i got back from work.
    there's things i wish the game would have but all in all, as for someone who prefers offline single player to online mutliplayer, i'm going to buy this game when it's out. it's that good.

no one should compare this game to battle born :P
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

btw what's your most used characters?

mine would be roadhog, hanzo and genji.
    depends on what the team needs, i'm thinking of making genji my main.
    he's just way too good and with a couple of hours of practice, can be a team wrecking monster
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.

Ah was actually looking for an Overwatch thread but there was none. I downloaded the beta on Sunday and I really didn't have an opinion about the game when I started but then I played it. God, I loved it so much. I think I had 20 play hours in those three days til the end and instantly pre-ordered it. Im actually really waiting for the game to come out. Everything Im playing now is kinda just to bridge the time til it's released on May 24th.

When it comes to my most used character I don't remember the entire in-game chart correctly but I think it was like this

1) Widowmaker

Well I can't deny she is exactly the type of character I love when it comes to personality and lore. Obviously she is looking quite good too
    But from a gameplay perspective I love her too. I mean she is a sniper with everything that entails. Good aim, positioning and situational awareness are obviously key if you want to be good with her. I feel she is high skill-cap character. If you are bad with her then you are practically useless and it's like your team is a man down but if you are really good with her then you will give the enemy team a lot of trouble. A fully charged headshot kills every non-tank hero and even bodyshots are very powerful and pick off people who already took some damage. Heck Tracer is dead no matter where you hit her.
    Her ultimate is probably one of the most useful and the one with the least requirements. You just activate it and you and your entire team get better just like that by knowing where every enemy on the map is.
    While it's not preferable you don't even have to be afraid of close quarters since her sniper is also a fully automatic assault rifle. She is just an overall good package.
    I don't want to pat myself on the back but I think I was decent with her. Not dominantly good mind you but decent.

2) McCree

What's not to like about a vigilante cowboy with a big revolver?
    I feel he is one of the characters who is a bit more straight-foward to play but that doesn't make him bad. In fact he has what is basically an instant-kill combo by flashbanging someone and then fannig the hammer to give them six rounds up close. I think only tanks can survive that and they still take a ton of damage from it. Heard some people saying that that combo is actually a bit too powerful but I can't agree with that since his flashbang has basically no range to it. You have to be in there face for it to work but if you are then they are probably indeed dead. His revolver has high damage, long range and high accuracy though so you don't have rush into things which makes him very balanced in my opinion and one of my favorites.
    His ultimate is not the easiest to effectively use but it's so satisfying when you do. Never felt better to draw you revolver and just instantly drop like three people.
    I also know I will buy that Gambler costume as soon as I can. With his fine gentleman clothes, fancy mustache and his golden revolver he just looks so fresh.

3) Genji

He's a cyborg ninja. Nuff said.
    But seriously he has a three star difficulty rating and he definitely deserves it. I just sucked when I first played him because if you try to play like Soldier 76 or McCree by just shooting people from range you will not do very well. His kit makes him more into something of an ambusher who goes around enemy lines and takes them by surprise. Up close preferably. I just think that really takes skill and knowledge to pull off especially if you are playing against experienced players too. That's why Im not entirely sure if I will spent that much time with him the future. While I do like him his playstlye just doesn't align with my personal one.

I have to make two honorable mentions here.

Reaper

Everything about this guy screams cool and badass. His voice, his abilities, his looks, his attitude, the fact that instead of reloading he throws his weapons away and grabs some new ones. Everything. When I saw him I wanted to instantly play him but in terms of play time he is ranking lower in my list because he has the same issue as Genji for me. His play style also makes him into more of a guy who takes people by surprise especially with his teleport but he is even more extreme than Genji in that regard. Genjis Shuriken fly in straight line and have no limited range. You can actually hit even far away snipers with them but Reaper has shotguns. If the enemy has some distance to you you can literally do nothing at all to harm him and that's just something I have huge trouble with. As you can tell from my number 1 and 2 I actually prefer to keep my distance to enemies but with Reaper you have to do the opposite. Otherwise you are useless. I don't know if I will be able to change my play style in that way and be OK with him which is a bit of a bummer.

Tracer

The poster girl of the game basically. Im personally not a huge fan though. She is definitely interesting in one way though. Every time I played her I suck and don't find her particularly good. When I play against an enemy Tracer though she becomes the most annoying character in the game. Dash, dash, dash making her very hard to hit and then even if you actually do they just press rewind when on low health resetting them completely and you have to do everything all over again. Playing against good Tracers is infuriating in my opinion but I really can't play her myself even if my life would depend on it.
    "This is me being reasonable"

the only time i read about overwatch before playing was the trace controversy.
    pleasantly surprised at how great the game is after playing.

i think they need to reduce genji's effective shuriken range..especialyl considering how reaper's range is so low

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    the only time i read about overwatch before playing was the trace controversy.
    pleasantly surprised at how great the game is after playing.

i think they need to reduce genji's effective shuriken range..especialyl considering how reaper's range is so low
    See Im obviously not a game balance guy working for a big company but I think that either Reapers range should be increased or Genjis Shuriken should have their range decreased or given some drop off like Hanzos arrows have.
    If you do that you can also buff his dragonsword which I feel is a bit too weak IMO. It's an ultimate ability that you only have for a few seconds, it obviously requires you to be in the thick of things and it's start is quite obvious because he screams like a madman in Japanese. It should kill people more quickly than it does. I think an one-hit kill on non-tanks while tanks require two or three hits would be fine. He is fragile and he needs to get close. As a comparison McCree can kill the entire team from range under the right circumstances with his ability.

i think reaper's playstyle is very healthy.
    he is an 'assassin' kinda offense character and that short range works well.

Genji OTOH, u can sit on a roof and shuriken people on little less than widowmaker range. that's a little unhealthy to me.
    i do agree his ult leaves a lot to be desired.
    IIRC his dragonblade does buff his dash slash too

any one playing it now?

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    any one playing it now?
    Well obviously.

Have to say something about my previous post with my top heroes though. I honestly can no longer say that Genji is among my top heroes. Don't get me wrong I still love him from his looks and his lore. I even got lucky and pulled his black carbon fieber outfit out of one of my loot boxes which looks awesome but his gameplay just leaves a lot to be desired IMO. I would go even so far and say that both Reaper and Tracer are straight up better at the thing that Genji is supposed to be good at and that is going around enemy lines and flanking people.

I initially wasn't that receptive to Tracer and Reaper but after another 20 hours that has definitely changed now. In terms of actual play time they are still more towards the bottom but that will surely change. I think it's currently very likely that either one or both along D.Va will join McCree and Widowmaker as my top champions.

i think there was a little nerfs here and there.
    minor ones.
    i prefer the red genji one, reminds me of ultraman and i feel like ultraman when i play :P

torbjorn is probably my best character now, he's so dumb in defend the objectives, one proper turret can last all game long and easily net u a 5 kill streak.
    tho his gameplay is a little dull at times
    i'm also playing McCree and 76 quite heavily