Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Default New Avengers #20 Review (w/spoilers)

Let me get this out of the way:

THIS IS A FIGHT ISSUE! FINALLY THE ILLUMINATI AND THE GREAT SOCIETY FIGHT!

(also, get the Annual. It's a Doctor Strange issue, and the artwork is awesome)

Ok, now that that's over with, on to the review itself. Once again, Hickman goes to great length to show that the Great Society is awesome. It really felt like a hypothetical Illuminati vs Justice League fight. And the dialogue, specifically from the Great Society members, really pressed on the point that in they honestly think it's over. Schiti's artwork is, as usual, awesome, but I also loved the coloring. The whole fight was during an incursion, so the whole thing was in an orange-red light, but it was still very clear. It wasn't heavy enough to interrupt the fight, but also consistent.

There aren't much spoilers, but here you go.

spoilers:

The Great Society have the upper-hand on the Illuminati. Sun God beat Hulk, Reed and Hank were already down, Boundless handed Tony his ass, Black Bolt is chasing after Doctor Spectrum, Namor and Jovian are still fighting, and The Rider and Black Panther stalemated until they got interrupted by Sun God and Hulk.

Doctor Strange goes borderline Chtulhu on the Great Society. No one has died yet, but next issue isn't looking good for TGS, especially not The Norn.

end of spoilers

Great Issue.

Hopefully this will satisfy those that wanted more action in NA.

I hope we see more of Black Bolt fight.

Strange was a beast. For all the talk I've seen about Namor being the hardcore one... no one ####s with the Doctor at this point.

spoilers:
    I honestly was kind of glad to see the Illuminati getting taken out since historically DC characters are much more powerful then Marvel's. That said I haven't read the annual yet so while I figured the NA obviously has to win in the end it did feel a little deus ex machina having Strange just bust out Cthulhu power and totally wiping the GS.
    end of spoilers
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

The Harry Potter reference was pretty funny.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I read this after the New Avengers Annual which is Strange-centered and if you have both read the Annual first because you'll appreciate Strange better in NA #20.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Sounds cool. I always wanted to see Black Panther fight Batman. This is probably as close as I'm going to get.

Not surprising that Strange was their ace in the whole. Strange written properly is a freaking beast. It's almost unfair to have him on super hero teams when he's written to his full potential. A Dr. Strange written to his full potential doesn't need a team... he's an Avengers team all by himself.

Finally happy to see some fighting. I didn't think the Great Society would do as well but it makes sense given their power sources. Between this and the annual today.Strange has had a really good showing.

I loved this issue, even if it felt a little rushed. Strange beating that Norn kid was fun.

Is the NA Annual related to the regular NA plot or is it another story?

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    Is the NA Annual related to the regular NA plot or is it another story?
    Think of it as what Strange was up to between the prior arc and this current arc. I would say after the attempted barter he tried to make. It's just more character related material to show how far he will go.

The annual is a self-contained story, you can read NA without it, but I heartily recommend reading it first because it helps explain the preview scenes where Strange is denied that God-power.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    G.I. Joe.

Now I'm tempted...but $5? Seems a little much.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Sounds cool. I always wanted to see Black Panther fight Batman. This is probably as close as I'm going to get.

Not surprising that Strange was their ace in the whole. Strange written properly is a freaking beast. It's almost unfair to have him on super hero teams when he's written to his full potential. A Dr. Strange written to his full potential doesn't need a team... he's an Avengers team all by himself.
    I agree. This is why I personally don't think that Strange belongs on a super hero team. Mind you, that's just my opinion. Use him properly and many readers cry deus ex machina. Involving him on non-magic oriented superhero teams means that writers have to de-power him, knock him out early, or just in general under utilize him to avoid having him take over a story. A problem arises though. Keep him in a magic-oriented title and some (many?) superhero team fans may not read the book. Use him in a non-magic oriented setting and he can seem to be too powerful.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

The Son of Suns Clairaudient Freedom Soldier's Avatar

It's time for Hickman to join DC ... he would write the DC characters well.

If you're into fantasmagorical art (and it has more pages) I'd say it's worth it.
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    G.I. Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    I agree. This is why I personally don't think that Strange belongs on a super hero team. Mind you, that's just my opinion. Use him properly and many readers cry deus ex machina. Involving him on non-magic oriented superhero teams means that writers have to de-power him, knock him out early, or just in general under utilize him to avoid having him take over a story. A problem arises though. Keep him in a magic-oriented title and some (many?) superhero team fans may not read the book. Use him in a non-magic oriented setting and he can seem to be too powerful.
    I agree with this essentially but the Illuminati is not really a super hero team. Strange absolutely belongs on the group due to his position though. I think NA has not been as good at balancing him in it but I think he's a good fit in the cast.