All-New Member

Default Comic books, where to get started?

So I'm very new to comics, dont even own any. But it's something that's been capturing my attention lately, I've read a few in comic book stores and I find them interesting but haven't found any that really capture me yet. Where is a good place to start? Not really into spiderman, avengers, fantastic 4, iron man, or hulk. I know that so far, I did like the guardians of the galaxy movie because of how lighthearted, colorful, creative and abstract was if that helps define my interests at all.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Comics aren't just superheroes but there are lighthearted superheroes as well. From Marvel maybe Howard the Duck, Squirrel Girl and Astonishing Ant-Man. Try the Hellboy universe titles (Hellboy, B.P.R.D., Lobster Johnson just great comics.). If you are into dark humor and horror you should give THE GOON (Dark Horse) a try.

If you don't mind sex and violence, Saga might be up your street.

Also I'd recommend you check out things like Comixology. A lot of first issues are given away free on there so you can sample comics to see what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Mccready203 View Post
    So I'm very new to comics, dont even own any. But it's something that's been capturing my attention lately, I've read a few in comic book stores and I find them interesting but haven't found any that really capture me yet. Where is a good place to start? Not really into spiderman, avengers, fantastic 4, iron man, or hulk. I know that so far, I did like the guardians of the galaxy movie because of how lighthearted, colorful, creative and abstract was if that helps define my interests at all.
    It sounds like Atomic Robo might be right up your alley, my friend!

You might also be interested in the current Silver Surfer comic that Marvel are publishing, by Dan Slott and Mike Allred. It's a lot of fun, and not really tied into any of the larger Marvel continuity right now, so you can read it by itself and not worry about anything else, if you like.

And if you dig that, check out Allred's series Madman.

If you are into more of the dark and gritty/violent kind of comics then I have a few suggestions.

Revival
    East of West
    Fatale
    American Vampire
    The Wicked + The Divine
    Snyder's run on Batman

Hope one or more of those suit your tastes.

If I were you I would start researching Vertigo and Image books. They tailor most of their stories to individuals that want a more serious "adult" story.

I did like the guardians of the galaxy movie because of how lighthearted, colorful, creative and abstract was if that helps define my interests at all.
    What part of that is suggesting "dark and gritty" to anyone?

Invincible Member

What other types of books or movies, tv etc do you like? That might help people get a better idea of your tastes. For example do you like horror? Slice of life stories? Do you gravitate toward stories with female leads? Do you like crime and mystery? Comedy and satire?

Whoops, I read it as he Didn't like it because it was light-hearted. My mistake.

Please disregard my post!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn Doom View Post
    Whoops, I read it as he Didn't like it because it was light-hearted. My mistake.

Please disregard my post!
    Ah.

These things happen!

The Once and Future Jerk Agent Helix's Avatar

Give the new Ms. Marvel series a shot. It's a delight. Also the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, and for DC, the current Batgirl stuff is quite fun.

Well, given the passing of Darwyn Cooke, I'd start with his work. DC: The New Frontier will give you an appreciation of heroes that most superhero comics miss. It also features real people acting like real people, with costumes and in ordinary clothes. The Spirit was about as close as you could get to Eisner; both the visuals, and the lighter elements. Try Selina's Big Score for a nice caper story. Try his Parker adaptations for some hard-hitting crime drama. The man could tell a story.

007 girl.

So I'm very new to comics, dont even own any. But it's something that's been capturing my attention lately.
    Exactly what is it that's been capturing your attention? Knowing this will make it easier to guide you to something of interest.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

I'm going to recommend Invincible to you. It's fairly lighthearted to begin with. It's pretty easy to read all the issues, as there is only one title and it's one volume that's been running for years now.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Well since you like Guardians of the Galaxy, I recommend the Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning run, which the movie was based on. It's available on amazon and comixology. Stay far away from the current Guardians book. It isn't good. At all. The art is nice, but nothing happens in it.

Recommendations that are a little unusual, are IDW's Transformers More than Meets the Eye, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It's almost blasphemous how good these series are. They're really underrated series. I also recommend Last Stand of the Wreckers.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 05-15-2016 at 03:13 PM.