Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Ms Marvel (2014) #5 *Spoilers and Thoughts*

Urban Legend by Wilson, Alphona, Herring and Caramanga

This issue opens on Kamala trying to talk her way out of a confrontation with Doyle, the Inventor's lackey, but things don't work out so well. Kamala's hit by a laser and has to bail on the mission to save Vick, since her powers don't function well as she heals. We also learn another setback to her healing powers.

She's woken by her mother who finds her passed out at the table. Her father steps in the diffuse the tension and we get a touching father/daughter moment, a talk that spurs her to greater action. It appears Kamala has found herself and she talks Bruno into helping her get ready for round two. TRAINING MONTAGE!

Kamala heads back to the old house and manages to free Vick. Love the panel where she's busting through the door.

The next day Kamala makes a statement to a crowd in front of the Circle Q, that she has a message for the Inventor - the people of New Jersey will not be bullied.

The final two pages finally reveals the Inventor, Mr. Edison - a man-sized talking cockatiel? Did not see that coming.

Thoughts:

This was a great wrap up to the opening arc. We get to see Kamala get her first win (as in rescuing Vick). We learn more about her limitations. We get nice little character moments, a villainous reveal and of course, the full costume.

The able-bodied team of Alphona and Herring instill every page with a light touch. I've described the art on this book as whimsical, and that statement still stands. It's not all about hard-hitting, cutting edge visuals, but it perfectly suits Wilson's script.

Next month brings us Healing Factor with a guest artist and certain curmudgeony runt with a thing for underaged girls.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

It's nice that she doesn't win in a straightforward way, because she had to figure out a way after a strategic retreat and basically made Bruno her sidekick. I do have a minor issue with the art in that some of the people have disproportionately large heads.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

This was a great issue. I've really liked what Wilson was doing and of course I like Alphona and Herring's art. Really nice to see her go through the learning process and think out her ways to win.

The moment with her dad was lovely, as was the backstory on her birth/name. It's nice they gave her a name with such personal meaning
    }|{

I'm still loving the series and I even decided to re-read the other issues so far before reading this one.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

Great issue. Loved her escape from the house, loved the conversation with her father--that was really well done. Good stuff overall. The Inventor...interesting!
    Storm Wolverine Nightcrawler Colossus Shadowcat Rogue Phoenix Magneto
    Mirage Cannonball Karma Sunspot Wolfsbane Magik Magma Cypher Warlock
    Jubilee Synch M Chamber Skin Husk

Fantastic Member

+1 to all the above. This was another brilliant issue and demonstrates just why Ms. Marvel is my favorite comic at the moment.

I have to say that this series is amazing, a good mixture of great heroics and humor. Kamala becoming a better hero as this first volume went on was amazing and I'm glad that every issue was great. Other then that, I'm glad to finally get some answers for how her healing factor works.

Her first villain is really interesting, and really messed up/weird. Can't wait to see her first team-up with Wolverine.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I have to say that this series is amazing, a good mixture of great heroics and humor. Kamala becoming a better hero as this first volume went on was amazing and I'm glad that every issue was great. Other then that, I'm glad to finally get some answers for how her healing factor works.

Her first villain is really interesting, and really messed up/weird. Can't wait to see her first team-up with Wolverine.
    On her healing factor, the teaser at the end of the issue says "Next: Healing Factor" - I wonder if that's to do with hers or the fact Wolverine hasn't got one anymore or what?

Astonishing Member

i imagine wolverine might talk about his own healing factor and advise kamala to not take it for granted (despite being much more limited than his); and also advising her about the potential consequences (outliving people she cares about) and probably something something mystique something something snikt

the conversation with her dad was lovely; even if it did serve the more cynical purpose of attempting to utilize kamala to boost the inhumans

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    i imagine wolverine might talk about his own healing factor and advise kamala to not take it for granted (despite being much more limited than his); and also advising her about the potential consequences (outliving people she cares about) and probably something something mystique something something snikt
    Yeah, I was thinking along similar lines - we may get to see a different side to Wolverine for once. I can imagine that being a touching conversation.
    the conversation with her dad was lovely; even if it did serve the more cynical purpose of attempting to utilize kamala to boost the inhumans
    How does it boost the inhumans (any more than Kamala already does, anyway)?

Loved the moment with Kamala and her dad. Very heart felt and he still was a dad at the end. I love what is going on with Kamala and Bruno and how they are helping each other. The revelation at the end about the Inventor, that was plain creepy. Want more of his back story.
    Mooper Films

This is just such a wonderful series. Definitely an absolute must-read.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooper Films View Post
    Loved the moment with Kamala and her dad. Very heart felt and he still was a dad at the end. I love what is going on with Kamala and Bruno and how they are helping each other. The revelation at the end about the Inventor, that was plain creepy. Want more of his back story.
    Hit Monkey! He was formed by some magical transformation from a hit man to a monkey.

Maybe the bird is the beginning of the Pet Avengers villains gallery.

So the main villain is a giant bird? lol Looking forward to seeing more of him

That was a nice moment with Kamala and her dad as well. This was a great wrap up to a great intro arc, every month it's my most anticipated comic book.