Default Can't get into new X-Men titles

I tried to get into the new X-Men titles, but I just can't bring myself into liking them. I mean the Brotherhood of Evil as one of the main teams? It just seems as though everything that made the X-Men who they were is missing. I have not been a consistent reader due in part of not having a local shop, but I would pick up runs when I could. I'm not a fan of teenage teams. I'll stop rambling now.

I feel you man. The X titles were way oversaturated in the late 90's and early 2000's. Now it's downright garbage. It seems like comic book readers/collectors buy the issue number 1's, maybe grab a variant cover, and that's it. The writing and artwork is just piss poor. Having Bagley do All New Xmen after Stuart Immonen?!!! That's like having Patton Oswalt play James Bond after Daniel Craig. The best titles now are Empress, Low, and Saga. Maybe Marvel will stop trying to get by on the X reputation alone and put some new talent on their X books.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer454 View Post
    Having Bagley do All New Xmen after Stuart Immonen?!!! That's like having Patton Oswalt play James Bond after Daniel Craig.
    I agree with everything you said but this. Bagley's style might not fit X-Men, but he is still one of the best artists in Marvel. Immonen's art didnt used to grab my attention but his art on X-Men was way better than his Ultimate Spider-Man work.

But X-Men hasn't been the same since Messiah Complex. For me, Mike Carey was the last great writer X-Men had until they stuck him a limited roster before AVX

BANNED

The main problem with the X Men comics these days is Squirrel Girl. Marvel is in denial about it they think Squirrel Girl is funny and cute for girls. Bullcrap.

Also Jubilee is a vampire. That pisses me off.

Im old fashioned old school. I grew up with the original Uncanny X Men a little bit when I was a little kid in the 1980s. The 1990s was just right for more action.

These days I still havent bought any of the newer X Men stuff. Not really interested at all in the X-23 Wolverine series or stupid junk like Uncanny Avengers or whatever.

1980s and 1990s X Men had and still do have the best characters and storylines. Mesmero I like more than Magneto. And Dazzler I find to be underrated and i have noticed younger people these days still tend to trash on Dazzler because of the so called concert Dazzler. Whatever. Thats not what Dazzler is at all. She has been in action. 1986-1987 was the best time for Dazzler anyway. She fought with the X Men teaming up with Longshot, Rogue, Wolverine and Psylocke when she was just a british gal

I'm keeping up with EXM and Uncanny, but I'm spending most of my money on back-issues. I'm catching up on the couple decades I missed after Fatal Attractions...

If you want a book that resembles the X-Men in the 90s, then your best bet is reading "X-Men '92". It is the only X-book I am buying.
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Autumn, Klone, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing & tons more!

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
    If you want a book that resembles the X-Men in the 90s, then your best bet is reading "X-Men '92". It is the only X-book I am buying.
    By resembling 90s, you mean the Animated Series, right? Because I grew up reading the 90s books and the only likeness I see are the character designs. Just my opinion. But yeah, the current books are more for Marvel's new demographic rather than faithfuls. Business wise they are trying to relate to a new crowd. The older fans are phasing out. Only problem I see with that is, the newer crowd is tiny. The numbers there are not big enough to sustain Marvel's catalog. Most of their fans are the same fans that have been reading since the 70s, 80s and 90s. After about 2000 readership took a nose dive. Most kids that still read were way more into Harry Potter than the X-Men. Not to mention most comic book stores had started disappearing by that time as the "comic book bubble" had finally reaped most of the market. Kid fans watched the movies, but got very little out of it. It was mostly adults and young adults migrating from the TAS to the movie franchise.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 05-13-2016 at 09:39 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by archer454 View Post
    That's like having Patton Oswalt play James Bond after Daniel Craig.
    Oh man, this is freaking hilarious. And don't get me wrong, I like Patton Oswalt, he is the geek man's man.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    By resembling 90s, you mean the Animated Series, right? Because I grew up reading the 90s books and the only likeness I see are the character designs. Just my opinion.
    For the most part it is more in the vein of the animated series than the comics, but not entirely. I know I never saw someone in the cartoon get disemboweled like they did in "X-Men '92".
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Autumn, Klone, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing & tons more!

BANNED

Uncanny X-Men looks like the only thing that's good.

ANXM is like why does this even exist?

If Marvel isn't trying to sabotage the X-Men, are they letting it get this terrible by accident?

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Why do people keep calling UXM the Brotherhood? They don't even call themselves the X-Men, and when did Archangel, Psylocke, and M become prominent Brotherhood members? Oh yeah, they're not.

People are being purposely ignorant when it comes to them not reading the book because "Magneto/Sabertooth is not an X-Man"....you're right....because they DON'T refer to themselves as such.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Well if youre actually reading the issues and you come to this conclusion OP fine

Many people though are just bandwagoning since they think it's the correct opinion that all X-comics recently suck

Well I still enjoy them so... I simply don't agree

Do I think every X-comic recently is awesome? Of course not. But to just cavalierly state, like several people in this thread have, that all X-comics since like 2000 are garbage is *INSANE* and I doubt those people know what they're talking about. Maybe they do, and they really genuinely believe that. Well, I can't begin to fathom their taste and what tehy DO like then. But for most people saying such ridiculously general and broad sweeping statements, they simply don't read the comics to begin with and have NO basis for the opinion
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
    For the most part it is more in the vein of the animated series than the comics, but not entirely. I know I never saw someone in the cartoon get disemboweled like they did in "X-Men '92".
    It's a parody book it doesn't even resemble TAS which was super serious. It's like a Marvel Adventures book.

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    The main problem with the X Men comics these days is Squirrel Girl. Marvel is in denial about it they think Squirrel Girl is funny and cute for girls. Bullcrap.
    What does Squirrel Girl have to do with the X-Men?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Centipede Damascus View Post
    What does Squirrel Girl have to do with the X-Men?
    She made a one-issue guest spot in ONE X-book, is about all I can think of.

She's not even a mutant anymore.