Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does your partner read comics?

Or did you persuade them to read comics?

I've been talking to this girl and even though she loves the Marvel movies...when I describe to her about how some of the events transpired in the comics she just seemed weirded out by it.

People are just stupid...

Nope. The wife frequently calls me a nerd for my (fairly new) comic-book reading obsession. :/

Nah. My husband is very sweet and tried, because I love them but it's not really for him and the fact he gave it a go is what matters most. He has Eastenders, I have Marvel comics; fair trade
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I can't remember the last time I dated someone who didn't read comics for longer than a date or two, or even left a club or party with someone (in that way) who didn't. It's such a big part of my life, it'd be weird for me not to be able to share something of that with them.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    I've been talking to this girl and even though she loves the Marvel movies...when I describe to her about how some of the events transpired in the comics she just seemed weirded out by it.

People are just stupid...
    That doesn't sound, from what you've said, stupid. There is a lot of weirdness and some pure dumb in some things that have happened in comics. It's okeh to roll your eyes at that, or to not be interested.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I think a better word would be disappointing, not stupid.

My wife is not into comics, although she maintains a huge toleration for my habit. She did NOT take well to discovering I read Love and Rockets, although she was OK with Black Kiss. My son isn't either, although he does have some other fan interests and did read Fight Club 2.

Invincible Member

I had a girlfriend a long time ago that read a couple of my Love and Rockets and flipped through a few of my indie titles, but comics really weren't her thing

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    My wife is not into comics, although she maintains a huge toleration for my habit. She did NOT take well to discovering I read Love and Rockets, although she was OK with Black Kiss. My son isn't either, although he does have some other fan interests and did read Fight Club 2.
    Why did your wife have a problem with Love and Rockets?

She's started - when she visited a few weeks back she got through a fair bit of From Hell, and she bought herself a copy of the Trees tpb when we visited a comic shop. She's a writer, and has an idea for a graphic novel that sounds pretty cool, and I look forward to reading it some day.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I was also wondering that.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    A professor in one of her classes read it and mentioned Luba and Fritz and their noticeable features (I'm guessing he meant Luba and Fritz). It wasn't so much a problem as a tease about my evidently being a breast man.

Good news is, after L&R, Power Girl's no problem.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    A professor in one of her classes read it and mentioned Luba and Fritz and their noticeable features (I'm guessing he meant Luba and Fritz). It wasn't so much a problem as a tease about my evidently being a breast man.

Good news is, after L&R, Power Girl's no problem.
    Ha ha! Maybe you can show her that Bang from Bang and Inez is pretty flat-chested?

She reads some things if I put them in front of her. She likes The Walking Dead, Scalped and other crime fiction stuff I've shown her.

She also doesn't give a shit about my reading comics or anything.

My husband might read the occasional Graphic Novel and he's really into Webcomics. He even has been known to watch Anime with me, he really liked Ruroni Kenshin and FCLC, thanks to me. But, Marvel or DC type comics? Not so much so.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

007 girl.

He collected them in his teens and still can't believe his wife (me) likes them more....
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.