Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

A great loss indeed! My condolences to his family and loved ones!

Astonishing Member

The comic's world has lossed a great creative mind, and thus leaving a void that cannot filled.

You will be dearly missed, Mr. Cooke. RIP.

BANNED

He was one of a kind.

Fantastic Member Iluvitloud1976's Avatar

Crazy. I heard the news on Friday afternoon regarding the cancer & this morning I read he had passed away. So sad. You will truly be missed.
    RIP Mr. Cooke.
    ".......he's wrong, we're not wearing costumes" -Leonardo, 1984

Ultimate Member

Oh man, I hate news like this.

RIP Darwyn Cooke.

So sad. The comics world lost a great talent. May his legacy and contributions live on for years to come.

RIP Darwyn Cooke
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

All-New Member

To say this is a tremendous loss would be an understatement. The man was one of the greatest artists working in the medium these days. I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of years ago and he could not have been nicer or more gracious. Then when I showed him the tattoo of his Catwoman I have on my thigh, he was ecstatic and made sure his whole family saw it. I am sad for his loss and what his family must be going through, and selfishly, I am even sadder that I won't be seeing new work from Darwyn Cook anymore. Rest in peace to the man who wrote the greatest Justice League story ever. There'll never be another like you, Darwyn.

Invincible Member

This is sad. I heard about it yesterday, but also read that the original tweet was taken down, so I thought I'd wait but I guess it's true. We've loss a really unique talent.

Spectacular Member BertoFlyingFox's Avatar

Noooo! We've lost a really amazing artist/writer here. Dang, a sad day indeed....

Condolences to his family an friends. I know lots of people in the comic book community will mourn this loss, Rest In Peace Mr. Cooke, we'll all miss you.

All-New Member

I was so sad when I saw this news yesterday that I haven't been able to form any coherent thoughts on it until now. If it weren't for Darwyn Cooke I wouldn't be on the path I'm on now, I'd probably still be confused. Wondering what in the world I'm supposed to do with my life.

Ten years ago I picked up my first comic. I was only ten years old at the time. That comic was The New Frontier. I read it all in one sitting, every page felt like magic. After that I moved onto other series like Spider-Girl, Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man loves Mary Jane, Supergirl (Loeb and Churchill), or Young Justice (the original series). A couple of years after that my local comic store closed, and comics became inaccessible for the most part. Though I never lost my appreciation for them, especially The New Frontier. I would check out both volumes from the public library every two or three years and every time I read the series it was like a new experience. On senior skip day (over two years ago now) my original plan was to go hiking... but then it started pouring rain. So instead I went shopping. Once I was bored of the mall (didn't take long) I got on my phone and looked for other things to do in the area. Turns out there was a comic book store closeby! The first comic I bought that day was Ms. Marvel, and I've always considered it my gateway comic. Now I buy 40-50 different titles per month.

The market is so diverse, and it's become a place where women like myself are more welcome than they've ever been. My ten year old self never would have thought it possible. If she had been there with me that day, she wouldn't have believed her eyes.

That brings us to the present day. I'm still an avid collector and I go to the comic book shop often. Just a month or so ago I decided that I'd like to open one of my own someday and have changed my course of study to business administration. I'm only getting an Associate's degree at this time, but I'm going to back it up with an internship at my comic book store. Once my change of major is approved and my college tells me how to go forward with the internship, I'll be there once a week. It just feels right.

What if I had never read The New Frontier? Or even worse... what if it didn't exist? There would be so many people, myself included, who wouldn't be where they are today.

Yesterday at 1:30 AM a bright light transcended the world we know and left behind a super sized hole.
    New to blogging. Can't quite wrap my head around themes, etc. So for now I'm just going to focus on the content, although I would like my site to look less basic than it already does. Maybe someday.

currentcomicsandmore.tumblr.com

Check it out!

BANNED

I am so _________ tired of cancer taking so many good people.

I volunteered at a con some years ago and asked Darwyn to sign my 'Selina's Last Score' book that he wrote and drew. He happily did so and told me he liked it when people asked him to sign that book. Rest in Peace Darwyn.
    Last edited by Mia; 05-16-2016 at 07:59 AM.

Incredible Member

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Tom Beland knows how to bring all the feels.

Cherished and prized every one of his pages and covers and will do it all the more, now.
    His art, colour tones and figures were Norman Rockwell-ian in they transcended time ....and brought you to a warmer, more Stable, more noble era ..even if your more cynical side thought it more selective memory than anything it never stopped you from longing for it.

God Speed to his family & friends... much support and admiration ...

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    Tom Beland knows how to bring all the feels.
    Ikr? Gosh!