View Poll Results: Do you feel the legacy aspect in DC does more harm than good?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 21.85%
  • No

53 44.54%
  • Depends on the character

40 33.61%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Oops, I misread the question and voted yes even though I meant no! I love the legacy aspect of the DCU, although I'll admit that writers often have no idea what to do with legacy characters, even when there's no real dilemma. It shouldn't be a massive struggle to make all the former Robins, Flash family, or Green Lanterns fit into the DCU, even though they've been struggling with this issue for years. But it's an issue of bad writing and not a flaw with the concept of legacy characters.
    I don't see it as bad writing at all. These multiple characters are a blood clot in the veins of creativity and force creative teams to jump through hoops to cross reference every character who ever wore the suit and with the Robins in particular has become totally ridiculous. At least the Robins sell as Bat book tie ins but the other families don't all the time. Time to cull the herd as it were. Cross referencing leads to the Cross Over and is largely a waste of money for the consumer. There are those creative teams who relish the task of trying to accomplish these epics but they generally burn out after awhile.It's time to change things up and leaner and meaner is the way to go.

BANNED

If I were publishing a comics company, I wouldn't do it. It splinters the fan base and decreases the camera time of the character who is "replaced."

Don't think you're going to create s better version of an existing character. Don't be motivated by the hope of putting your own mark on a franchise.

In fact, stop creating heroes at all, because there are too many of them now. Focus instead on created villains and supporting characters.

If an existing hero isn't clicking, then change some things about him.

You know, make yourself useful.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    I don't see it as bad writing at all. These multiple characters are a blood clot in the veins of creativity and force creative teams to jump through hoops to cross reference every character who ever wore the suit and with the Robins in particular has become totally ridiculous. At least the Robins sell as Bat book tie ins but the other families don't all the time. Time to cull the herd as it were. Cross referencing leads to the Cross Over and is largely a waste of money for the consumer. There are those creative teams who relish the task of trying to accomplish these epics but they generally burn out after awhile.It's time to change things up and leaner and meaner is the way to go.
    I have a feeling the herd will be culled in a few years. All these writers trying to leave their own mark on the DCU with their own personal creations, and they don't seem to be catching on. How many Harper Row fans are there, again? Eventually they're going to have to shift their focus back to the profitable characters and send their New 52 creations on a mass migration to character limbo. I wish it didn't have to be this way, but I can accept it.

Fantastic Member

Legecy mantles only work for me if its a support cast or if the previous one is 'dead',it can work with gl what with different personalities and will power and what not(kind of .. But not really) but yeah I'm not fan of these multiple characters with same super powers co headlining a comic book ,if you want a support cast with super powers give them something different,you can build something from there if that character takes off

Good. But like anything, too much of a good thing can be bad.

FINALLY. I voted "Depends on the character"

This is for superman, he gives me more desire to vote bad idea... one change, extended by many comics... the rest which has been disturbing, were minor cases.

For cases like Nightwing, Detective Comics Team, Teen Titans(raven again, Damian is here).. etc... I did not vote negative vote.. But neither positive.

Besides, I'm excited about superwoman.. my replace to superman.
    Last edited by adrikito; 05-15-2016 at 11:11 AM.

BANNED

You guys are funny,i bet most of you saying they dont like legacy characters read comics with legacy characters in them,come on here and complain that "your" legacy character was treated badly or not used,and dont get me started on tv shows like young justice and teen titans.

My favorite character kon-el had the legacy "mantle",but never fit into the legacy box.he had enough space away from superman, totally different personality,attitude,and ways of doing things,plus his powers were different enough to be unique,but still call back to superman's.this is how you build a character off of another character without making them a carbon copy.

Oh and btw i have NO problem with race changes when it comes to MANTLES,but hate when they change the CHARACTER itself.as in Robin,the right way.you dont change the character,you change who wears the cape.easiest way without pissing off the fanbase,and you can make the characters grow into Nightwings,red hoods,and red robins,instead of flushing characters down the drain like wally west was.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    You guys are funny,i bet most of you saying they dont like legacy characters read comics with legacy characters in them,come on here and complain that "your" legacy character was treated badly or not used,and dont get me started on tv shows like young justice and teen titans..
    I wouldn't presume that. In cases like mine, if a legacy character appears in a comic I'm reading, it's usually incidental to my reason for reading the book. Tim Drake appearing in a Batman comic I happen to be reading doesn't mean I like Tim Drake.

In the case of the Teen Titans cartoon, none of those characters were legacies. Including Robin, who was Dick Grayson, the first one to wear the mantle. That was true in the cases of Kid Flash, Aqualad and Speedy as well. And then there's Starfire, Cyborg, Raven, Beast Boy, Terra...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I wouldn't presume that. In cases like mine, if a legacy character appears in a comic I'm reading, it's usually incidental to my reason for reading the book. Tim Drake appearing in a Batman comic I happen to be reading doesn't mean I like Tim Drake.

In the case of the Teen Titans cartoon, none of those characters were legacies. Including Robin, who was Dick Grayson, the first one to wear the mantle. That was true in the cases of Kid Flash, Aqualad and Speedy as well. And then there's Starfire, Cyborg, Raven, Beast Boy, Terra...
    My points still stand,even if there will always be exceptions,that goes with everything in life.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

My points still stand,even if there will always be exceptions,that goes with everything in life.
    Absolutely true, but the people posting in this thread aren't necessarily the ones who are hypocritical in their complaints.

Though I do agree that I have seen it happen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Absolutely true, but the people posting in this thread aren't necessarily the ones who are hypocritical in their complaints.

Though I do agree that I have seen it happen.

Well what do you think of these characters then
    Kon-el
    Linda danvers
    Grant emerson
    Ray terrill
    Cassie sandsmark
    Donna troy
    Jason todd
    Tim drake
    Damian wayne
    Kaldur (aqualad)
    Wally west
    Bart allen
    Guy gardner
    John stewart
    Kyle rayner
    Jessica cruz
    Simon baz
    Ryan choi
    Jamie rayes
    Stargirl

For starters?? Lol

You guys are funny,i bet most of you saying they dont like legacy characters read comics with legacy characters in them,come on here and complain that "your" legacy character was treated badly or not used,and dont get me started on tv shows like young justice and teen titans.

My favorite character kon-el had the legacy "mantle",but never fit into the legacy box.he had enough space away from superman, totally different personality,attitude,and ways of doing things,plus his powers were different enough to be unique,but still call back to superman's.this is how you build a character off of another character without making them a carbon copy.

Oh and btw i have NO problem with race changes when it comes to MANTLES,but hate when they change the CHARACTER itself.as in Robin,the right way.you dont change the character,you change who wears the cape.easiest way without pissing off the fanbase,and you can make the characters grow into Nightwings,red hoods,and red robins,instead of flushing characters down the drain like wally west was.
    yeah you are right BUT the part you are missing is not that there is a superman and a superboy the problem is when there a 3 or 4 superboy's (like the gl's and robin) fans start to fight over witch one gets the push. then there is wicth superboy gets the solo or the team book or cartoon ect, or superboy grows up but are is already a superman then you have an nighwing/batman problem or a wally/barry problem.

BANNED

IMO the greatest character at DC in terms of development and coming into his own is a legacy: Wally West. He unfortunately no longer exists in the DC universe but back when he did not only stepped into the role of the Flash he in the opinions of many far surpassed Barry Allen.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Oops, I misread the question and voted yes even though I meant no! I love the legacy aspect of the DCU, although I'll admit that writers often have no idea what to do with legacy characters, even when there's no real dilemma. It shouldn't be a massive struggle to make all the former Robins, Flash family, or Green Lanterns fit into the DCU, even though they've been struggling with this issue for years. But it's an issue of bad writing and not a flaw with the concept of legacy characters.
    Yeah, I did the same thing. I voted yes for legacy, until I realized the question was essentially asking "Is Legacy bad?"

I think good writing trumps all, but legacy characters add, rather than subtract from the main characters. If someone wants to do a story focusing on a solo version of that character, they can. They just have to write one in which the satellite characters are busy or make it a flashback prior to the arrival of all the legacy characters.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    IMO the greatest character at DC in terms of development and coming into his own is a legacy: Wally West. He unfortunately no longer exists in the DC universe but back when he did not only stepped into the role of the Flash he in the opinions of many far surpassed Barry Allen.
    Geoff Johns had set up such a perfect new status quo for Wally and the rest of The Flash Family after Flash Rebirth, it was a shame to see it all pointlessly flushed down the toilet by the New 52.