Default What Breed is SuperDad's Dog?

SuperDad has a dog. It's not Krypto. Appears to just be an earth dog. His name is Ranger.

I have a golden retriever, and it looks like a golden retriever to me, but, you know, a lot of dog breeds look similar, and it's even possible that the dog's appearance changes a bit from artist to artist, which means it could be jumping breeds depending on which issue of which series you're reading.

Anyone know if Ranger's breed has been established canonically? What breed do you guys think he is?

Bonus question: If SuperDad winds up inheriting Krypto, will Krypto and Ranger get along?

Here's a picture from Action Comics (2011-2015) #52:

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

That does look like a golden retriever. I don't remember any mention of his breed however. He actually reminds me of Smallville's Shelby.
    I wonder why Supes didn't bring his Krypto along as well. His last appearances before the relaunch were in Superboy #11 and Superman #714 (the final issues for both series).

Back for noon feeding The Shredder's Avatar

Was Krypto featured in any of the Convergence books pertaining to Post-Crisis Superman? That I do not recall.

I do remember Clark having a Golden Retriever in Superman For All Seasons, which along with the Smallville tv show, Ranger might be something of a nod to.

Maybe they'll have a genetic mixing. Then, we'll have a dog equivalent of Kon-El. SuperPup. Complete with TK.
    Last edited by A Guy's Name; 05-14-2016 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy's Name View Post
    Maybe they'll have a genetic mixing. Then, we'll have a dog equivalent of Kon-El. SuperPup. Complete with TK.
    I just hope they don't include DNA from Luthor's Rottweiler (You know he must have one).

Actually, SuperDad having a golden retriever makes me feel slightly less negatively predisposed to him. I love golden retrievers. Like, if someone I knew well were writing a comic and for some strange reason wanted to somehow kiss up to me slightly to keep me going through what I felt were negative changes with characters I was iffy on, they would probably toss in a golden retriever and make the characters I didn't like love the dog. While I wouldn't read a solo Jon book, I actually probably would read a solo Ranger book.

I had a golden growing up, I have a golden now. I picked both of them up as 8 week old puppies. The first one lived his life until dying of cancer in old age, and the second one is just getting into dog middle age with gray fur in places. There was a long gap between them, but if circumstances allow, I may well just keep getting eight week old retrievers sequentially after the previous ones die of old age for the rest of my life, one at a time. I like dogs in general, but golden retrievers are something special- I feel a real connection with them.

I hope they keep this dog around. I still would like SuperDad and SuperJon to exit stage right ASAP, and new52 Superman to return, but Ranger can stay. Maybe Ranger can be Superman's dog at his regular person apartment or house, and then Krypto gets the Fortress of Solitude. As a married man, SuperDad probably needs that fortress of solitude more than ever. Good thing Kara's got the keys and can lock him out. Although, I know, SuperDad has his own version...

Actually, I kind of wonder- does Krypto come with the original Fortress? Has he been transferred over to the Supergirl book?
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 05-14-2016 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeUsername View Post
    I wonder why Supes didn't bring his Krypto along as well. His last appearances before the relaunch were in Superboy #11 and Superman #714 (the final issues for both series).
    Right. But Lois and Clark didn't bring him with them on their trip to Gotham City; so he wasn't there when the dome went up and they wrre spirited away to the world of Telos.

“Why didn't they bring him along?” you may ask. Because it was a business trip.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.