Astonishing Member

Default Star Trek: Defiant

I believe this title deserves it's own thread. I haven't continuously read Trek books since the Byrne issues and some of the mirror alt universe stuff. However I am really loving the Defiant book so far. The crew/cast of the book feel like fan fiction pulled from my subconscious of the Trek book I always wanted but never thought I would see. Captain Worf, first officer Spock, with Ro Laren, B'elanna Torres, Lore. The first major arc ties into the Boom's main Star Trek book for a grand Klingon adventure. The book also features Tasha Yar's daughter Sela in the first arc as well. It is a hodgepodge of all the best of the Trek tv shows, the writing is top notch. I am curious as to where the book goes at the end of the first arc. The show actully contains my favorite characters from three different Star Trek tv shows in one book, (Spock TOS, Worf TNG & DS9 (along with Kira on DS9, Torres of Voyager). I love this book more than the main book and it is the reason I picked up the main book to see how Worf came to command the Defiant.
    Last edited by EmeraldGladiator; 08-22-2023 at 07:58 AM.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Personally, would love to see an Enterprise B story but I would love to read more Trek since seeing Picard plus the rumored Section 31 movie
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Defiant has been pretty good to read. The interactions between the various characters are well done and I like the mutual respect shown between Worf and Spock. The crew of B'lanna, Ro, Spock, Nymira(hopefully she sticks around) and Worf is pretty strong although they need a few more to round it out. Maybe Alexander can join so that he and Worf can work on building a better relationship.

Overall, this is a good Star Trek series and I hope they can continue to keep this interesting.

I'm liking both this and the main Star Trek series. But to me, they seem like the stories are too big in that they bring together characters from multiple series.

Spock to Jellico was awesome. Spock was stealing Enterprises before Jellico was born and even stood with his shipmates on another trial for starship theft.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'm liking both this and the main Star Trek series. But to me, they seem like the stories are too big in that they bring together characters from multiple series.

Spock to Jellico was awesome. Spock was stealing Enterprises before Jellico was born and even stood with his shipmates on another trial for starship theft.
    I'm actually surprised they kept Spock as a crew member for the Defiant. But I'm glad they did. This gives the series some star power along with Worf.

The latest issue of Defiant was a good read and I really like what they are doing with Worf's character. It's good to see that he's not blindly following Starfleet directives, especially considering how they want his team to do all of their dirty work. I also like how he's bringing this team together and how much their beginning to trust his leadership.

The Star Trek: Defiant Annual was a really good read. Really enjoyed getting some backstory on Sela. If it pans out the way it looks, Worf is going to have his hands full.

The latest issue of Defiant was really good. I'm glad to see Worf and his crew questioning the missions they were being tasked to complete, especially this last order spoilers:
    where he was told to kill Benny the Munch.
    end of spoilers

Now they have to ask themselves how will Starfleet respond.

I was really pleased by Hugh's spotlight in the last issue. For all my gripes with the "Picard" series as a whole, the notion of xBs and reclamation was one with a ton of potential (which was immediately squandered). So seeing someone actually put some thought into what kind of journey Hugh and people like him would have to go on to get from being Borg drones to their individual personhood was a great read. Very much the kind of thing that endears Star Trek to me in the first place.

I did not like the recent Klingon arc, the idea of Khaless II going a bit off the rails seemed a little too.... Discovery for me.

Defiant has been good post that stuff. Enjoying Captain Worf and the crew and how they interact. Not sure if I would like some 'lesser lights' of the shows casts to be on there instead of just main Officers, but meh, its fun.

Wonder if they mentioned what ship is attached to DS9 whilst Worf has USS Defiant? I'll have to go re-read.

Sons of Star Trek has been good fun so far.