Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default My Hero Academia Appreciation

New Year! New Thread! New Chapter!

Let's GO!

spoilers:
    The Toga-Twice clones at the floating UA school seperate Manual and Aizawa from Monoma, causing him to blink and shut down Erasure. Which in turn causes Shigaraki to let loose a shockwave that messes up everything. All the systems are failing and the support squad below ground can't keep everything together, Skeptic hacks into the UA computers and Shigaraki has reasserted control over his body.

He taunts Deku about sitting down and having a talk at the mall as Deku is feeling the blowback from using Gearshift and the pressures of trying to handle the entire situation. Though the Second informs of AFO's issues with controlling Shigaraki since the vestiges can sense what's going on inside him. And more than that, Skeptic has been found out by none other than La Brava.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Pretty hype first chapter of the year. A free falling school is just what the conflict needed, besides fighting Shigaraki the heroes now need to make sure that everybody can get back up, wonder how Bakugou and Edgeshot are doing.

Shigaraki taking control back at last is just what I wanted. He and Deku has a wonderfully tense rivalry despite only meeting a few times. So them facing off at the height of their powers, even if Deku is a bit tired right now, is very exciting.

And of course, La Brava coming to the rescue against Skeptic is a delightful surprise. Hopefully this means that we'll get to see more side characters return as well.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

And since it's the year of the rabbit good old Horikoshi has given us quite a lovely little image to celebrate.
    https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/stat...009472/photo/1

Kyoka looks great as a bunny girl.

spoilers:
    A short chapter, but just when the villains think they have the upper hand, a spanner in the works arrives. Great to see La Brava back, hopefully Gentle might make an appearance as well.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Two things I've been waiting for for so long finally happening in the same chapter: Shigaraki regaining control of his body, and La Brava returning! So those alone are incredibly exciting developments! Seeing Shigaraki emerge from within his body like a cocoon is great imagery, and love his declaration to Deku. With AFO seemingly out of the way for now, and with all of his Quirks back, wonder how their confrontation is going to go next. And La Brava being the one to hack into Skeptic was exactly what I expected was to happen, so I am definitely believing Gentle's gonna be the one to stop U.A. from falling, which I can't wait to see (though since the magazine is on break again next week we'll have to wait two weeks for that return again)
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    spoilers:
    Two things I've been waiting for for so long finally happening in the same chapter: Shigaraki regaining control of his body, and La Brava returning! So those alone are incredibly exciting developments! Seeing Shigaraki emerge from within his body like a cocoon is great imagery, and love his declaration to Deku. With AFO seemingly out of the way for now, and with all of his Quirks back, wonder how their confrontation is going to go next. And La Brava being the one to hack into Skeptic was exactly what I expected was to happen, so I am definitely believing Gentle's gonna be the one to stop U.A. from falling, which I can't wait to see (though since the magazine is on break again next week we'll have to wait two weeks for that return again)
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I do really like Shigaraki declaring that he's Deku's villain. Because he totally is. AFO has beef with OFA and All Might. Deku is just a small part of that larger conflict. But Deku and Shigaraki, that **** is personal.

I don't think that Gentle's quirk is strong enough to stop the school from falling. At best he could probably slow it down. But the best version would be if he could to use his quirk to save everybody else that are free-falling from the school. Sort making up for his misguided attempt to save that construction worker that sent him down a negative spiral.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

New OP and ED as the second cour begins. They are more somber but still hopeful. I quite like them. Nagant is pretty prominent in the OP but we see nothing of Stars and Stripes. Don't know if that means they're keeping that a secret or if the season won't get to that part.

Half the episode is a recap of the previous cour, but they do add a few new thing here and there. Some expansion on the commission's meeting with the fake Re-Destro. He also gives more of a hint of how spoilers:
    Dabi found out Hawks identity by using Detnerat's resources. Which I appreciate because the manga made it seem like Dabi used some random thugs which made that whole bit extra anti-climactic.
    end of spoilers

Other small expansions include Re-Destro and Geten's defeat, and the students finding Midnight. All of which was appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    spoilers:
    I don't think that Gentle's quirk is strong enough to stop the school from falling. At best he could probably slow it down. But the best version would be if he could to use his quirk to save everybody else that are free-falling from the school. Sort making up for his misguided attempt to save that construction worker that sent him down a negative spiral.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I've been calling it his "Andrew Garfield Spider-Man in No Way Home" moment.
    end of spoilers

New OP and ED as the second cour begins. They are more somber but still hopeful. I quite like them. Nagant is pretty prominent in the OP but we see nothing of Stars and Stripes. Don't know if that means they're keeping that a secret or if the season won't get to that part.

Half the episode is a recap of the previous cour, but they do add a few new thing here and there. Some expansion on the commission's meeting with the fake Re-Destro. He also gives more of a hint of how spoilers:
    Dabi found out Hawks identity by using Detnerat's resources. Which I appreciate because the manga made it seem like Dabi used some random thugs which made that whole bit extra anti-climactic.
    end of spoilers

Other small expansions include Re-Destro and Geten's defeat, and the students finding Midnight. All of which was appreciated.
    Yeah OP is very good, need to give it a few more listens to see where I think of it musically, but in its own way its about on par visually with the last one. Nice seeing Eve doing this one (also did the great first JJK OP). At the current rate I feel like it's a toss up whether they get to Star and Stripe or save it for next season, all depends how much they spread out the upcoming arc. There's also nothing Dabi/Toya related in the OP, which we're getting in like 2 episodes so that's surprising. Having Class 1-A fighting Shigaraki together is a weird way to end it (maybe it's foreshadowing for the future), but the Tomura/Tenko visuals are really nice.

I was going into the episode expecting the recap to be worse, but thankfully it was only like 6 minutes of the actual episode and the rest was new content, plus they actually give a story reason behind the recap, being Deku reading a report on the war, so I can forgive that. Plus yeah, the expansions they gave on Re-Destro's stuff and alot of the reactions in the aftermath were welcome touches. I also find it funny that the anime actually confirmed the HPSC Director is dead, whereas it was never clarified in the manga so we just assumed she was in anime coma.

Extraordinary Member

Neat. There's a little PV focusing on Shoto's journey as the volume covering spoilers:
    his fight against Dabi is coming out.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I do wonder how things will end for the Todorokis since Dabi broke the expected end game of Shoto just straight up capturing him. Still don't want him to die. I hated it when Itachi and Obito died instead of having to deal with the consequences of their actions. I want to see Dabi, and Endeavor, have to deal with all of that.
    end of spoilers

EDIT: Did not realise Shoto wanted to take a bit out of the youtube play-button that much.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 01-13-2023 at 03:26 AM.

spoilers:
    I do wonder how things will end for the Todorokis since Dabi broke the expected end game of Shoto just straight up capturing him. Still don't want him to die. I hated it when Itachi and Obito died instead of having to deal with the consequences of their actions. I want to see Dabi, and Endeavor, have to deal with all of that.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Since it seems that his hatred is the only thing (seeming literally) keeping him alive. I see Dabi dying after he and his whole family make amends and since he has no more hatred for his family, he dies as Toya
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    spoilers:
    Since it seems that his hatred is the only thing (seeming literally) keeping him alive. I see Dabi dying after he and his whole family make amends and since he has no more hatred for his family, he dies as Toya
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, that makes sense. Though it is a bit too cheesy. I think I'd prefer him dying while cursing their names. That feels more true to his character arc, even if it wouldn't be very satisfying.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Yeah, that makes sense. Though it is a bit too cheesy. I think I'd prefer him dying while cursing their names. That feels more true to his character arc, even if it wouldn't be very satisfying.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, that could easily happen as well
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'm feeling the same thing. At this point his body has reached a point I don't know how he could survive anyway, and will probably give out once he stops burning up, so having some kind of reconciliation with the rest of his family right before his death seems like the most likely conclusion. In comparison I do think Toga will probably survive being saved, while Dabi is "saved" through death. Shigaraki is still a big question mark where that goes.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    spoilers:
    I'm feeling the same thing. At this point his body has reached a point I don't know how he could survive anyway, and will probably give out once he stops burning up, so having some kind of reconciliation with the rest of his family right before his death seems like the most likely conclusion. In comparison I do think Toga will probably survive being saved, while Dabi is "saved" through death. Shigaraki is still a big question mark where that goes.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I think Tomura will be saved and that Tenko will prove instrumental in AFO's downfall, though I doubt he'll completely reform.
    end of spoilers

I was not really vibing with the most recent chapters, but this week's one was great.

spoilers:
    I was expecting Gentle to pop up soon or later when La Brava appeared, but not like this. An entrance worthy of a hero.

Oh, and Lady Nagant too, she is back. That's also cool.
    end of spoilers
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    La Brava taunts Skeptic with a time she trolled his entire company by messing around with their code. Skeptic is enraged by decides to just bolt it out of there. He runs into a squad of heroes all ready to take him into custody.

U.A. continues hurtling through the sky and La Brava can't fix anything fast enough. But Gentle has arrived on the scene. We get a flashback to the night of the prison breaks. Gentle was able to stop every single inmate from escaping from the prison where he was locked in. Joyful at their reunion and second chance at life, La Brava powers up Gentle and he catches the plummeting U.A.

But the empowered Shigaraki is about to reduce all to dust... only to get his hand blasted off by Lady Nagant from several miles away!
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Hell yeah! The villains Deku showed kindness to are returning in full glory! Gentle exceeding my expectations and Nagant making a surprise rescue at the end has me damn hyped! I love how they're all showing that they're ready to do something better and that members of the police (Tsukauchi and the officer that we last saw Gentle talking to) are equally ready to treat them better. It's a good give and give moment.

And while Gentle really did catch U.A., with La Brava's help, I'm equally impressed at Nagant blasting off Shigaraki's hand, considering all the crap he's shrugged off. Just cool stuff all around.

Great chapter with awesome moments, wonderful character development and solid forward progession on several levels. This is what I want to see.
    end of spoilers