Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    So hadn't read the ongoing in some time, so I just went ahead and started from scratch. Just finished TPB 1, Change is Constant. Such a good read.
    And I gets even better. I like it how every Turtle has a distinguish voice, the multiple storylines and how they seamlessly come together all the time. And that over 100 issues including good mini series.

Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    And I gets even better. I like it how every Turtle has a distinguish voice, the multiple storylines and how they seamlessly come together all the time. And that over 100 issues including good mini series.

Damn.
    Boy, does it get better. One of the best decisions I made was buying #1 as a back issue in 2012, before I'd really known about the ongoing. All the micro series, minis, TMNT Universe. There's well over 200 issues in there to unpack. I'm almost jealous of anyone starting it all for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Boy, does it get better. One of the best decisions I made was buying #1 as a back issue in 2012, before I'd really known about the ongoing. All the micro series, minis, TMNT Universe. There's well over 200 issues in there to unpack. I'm almost jealous of anyone starting it all for the first time.
    Well, It’s not my first time per se, but I because of a lot of moves in my life and other bs, I just fell off. I remember first finding out about the series when I visited a local comic shop years ago, and I picked up issue 8 from the stands. I thought it was great. I went back and collected the rest, probably through eBay I think, and was collecting the singles and trades for a while. I stopped collecting the singles around issue 50 and sold ‘em all back on eBay. But I’ve been collecting the trades throughout. I just hadn’t been able to read past... trade 18 or so...
    But it’s still super easy to have it feel new as I read the first issues quite a while ago. And there’s stuff I’m picking up that maybe I missed when I first read it. Either way, this is gonna be awesome.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

So enjoying the continued narrative of Mutant Town and the factions within. With Hob in the background more or less the last 15+ issues he comes back a little more to the front this issue(#110).
    Ready for the non-surprise attack next issue. Raph on a date was a nice touch of normal that our Turtles so rarely got but now they are experiencing normal in ways they thought would never be available to them.

Also, I miss TMNT Universe. Wish it would come back but instead of being a title for C-stories running parallel to the main title would be more of an Anthology. Perhaps with two 12-page stories telling about characters throughout the TMNTUniverse from multiple perspectives with a variety of characters.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Well I finally dropped the regular series, just hasn’t been as fun since the conclusion of 100.

However, Last Ronin was freaking awesome! Totally did not guess the right turtle as the ronin.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Right now ComiXology has TMNT half off. So I just picked up the Hardcover books, which reprint about 20 issues or so including the mini’s and annuals, for a fraction of what I’d pay in physical form. I was able to get volumes 1-10 at $12 or so each. Pretty good value. I figure I’ll get 11 and 12 once they go down in price or are part of another similar sale. This isn’t the first time I’ve seen this sale.

As much as I prefer physical, it’s nice to have digital incase you’re gonna read away from home, like a plane or just on vacation.

Incredible Member

Does anyone at the TMNT offices know that a Ronin is a masterless samurai and not related to ninja's? I mean I'm all for the more japanese elements in the franchise but at least make it a degree more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    Does anyone at the TMNT offices know that a Ronin is a masterless samurai and not related to ninja's? I mean I'm all for the more japanese elements in the franchise but at least make it a degree more accurate.
    I did a bunch of Googling, and I found nothing specific for a masterless Ninja.

I gotta say though, The Last Ronin was a great first issue. I liked it a lot.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    I figure it's more of a reference to Frank Miller's work more than anything which is fitting given how the Turtles came about.

I will say that all the hype around this book...well it's definitely well founded. As is fitting for a TMNT book there is a ton of action crammed into this issue and the pacing runs tight and fast but don't be fooled into thinking that means its a pure popcorn munching adventure book because despite all that the book has a very strong and deeply emotional core and is just packed with characterization.
    I think that what will give this book its real staying power is the fact that it truly stands alone on its own. Like any franchise that has been continuously published for more than three decades now, keeping up with the twists and turns of can be a struggle for even the most ardent of fans let alone your casual reader. Eastman, Laird and Waltz however craft The Last Ronin in such a way that the story assumes next to nothing about its readers aside from a basic familiarity with the Turtles which sidesteps any and all confusion on continuity. The story isn't beholden to any particular past storyline so whether you've only read the first dozen or so original black and white issues, watched the cartoon or the movies or the IDW comics or a smattering of them all you'll be able to easily jump onto this dark look at the Turtles future with out it feeling out of sync.
    All that said, I do have one, tiny, niggling criticism: the plot leans heavily into doing the Dark Knight Returns only with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The story of a past his prime hero coming out of retirement for one last ride to right all the wrongs once and for all has been done to death at this point so yet another take on that seems a little redundant. Usually a book that played that heavily on those tropes would be more than a slight red flag for me, but despite the reservations I have about that kind of plot line it is kind of justified with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as their whole genesis was an homage to the work of Frank Miller so it makes sense that to do their ending of the Turtles they'd go back to that same well. On top of that the structure plays homage to the very first issue of the Turtles as well, with the plot focusing on the now lone turtle going after the descendant of the Shredder on a quest for vengeance and lost honor. It's an ending that like all good conclusions really brings things full circle and I'm sure that if the subsequent issues are as good as this one then this book will be fondly remembered for years to come.

I was initially disappointed when I heard that this book wouldn't really feature the artwork of Laird and Eastman, and then I was disappointed again at the news over the summer that Andy Kuhn was off of art duties on the book as I absolutely loved the look he brought to the Turtles during the early stages of the IDW reboot and while I certainly would have loved to have seen more work from him between Eastman's layouts and the work of Esau and Isaac Escorza (whose previous work was stunning in Tarna) it's still a visual treat to behold. Eastman's lay outs move the story from wide screen scenes focused on some seriously energetic butt-kicking to tightly focused moments of somber reflection as the Ronin talks with his dead brothers with out ever missing a beat and the scratchy look provided by the finishes of Esau and Isaac Escorza feel incredibly unique and so at home with the world of the Ninja Turtles. Very rarely does a book's art match the story so perfectly but this is one of those rare moments where both halves are married together perfectly. It's just amazing to see from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Well I finally dropped the regular series, just hasn’t been as fun since the conclusion of 100.

However, Last Ronin was freaking awesome! Totally did not guess the right turtle as the ronin.
    I stopped collecting singles at 100 as well. Just wasn't really as excited with Waltz leaving. I will continue to collect the hardcovers for as long as they go, though.

Astonishing Member

Last Ronin was great so far. I kind of pegged which turtle it was about 1/4 of the way through. It wasn't a lucky guess so much as a quick instinct from a context clue. It was neat that they used all four colors of the turtles for the inner monologues depending on the scene and lighting which kind of throws you off the scent.

Just solid solid stuff. High stakes but not like ultimate cosmic high stakes. Just personal high stakes. Nice alt-future concept.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Last Ronin #1 exceeded my already super high expectations. Loved it.

I just finished Last Ronin and it was indeed as advertised.
    I correctly guessed who the turtle was.

Is this a 4,5 or 6 issue event?

All-New Member

I can't decide if I should pursue the works, or the Ultimate Collections to collect the classics, what's the general consensus? I think I would prefer color, but curious what others have to say.

Thanks!

If I can only have one my preference is to get the material as it was originally presented.
    That said, the color versions are great...which is why I have both.