Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Dynamite Launching Several Titles Based On Warner Bros. Discovery Properties

Thundercats, Powerpuff Girls, More Warner Bros. Titles Head To Dynamite For New Line Of Comics
    Dynamite Entertainment is teaming up with Warner Bros. Discovery to launch seven new titles based on the studio’s iconic properties. The roster is kicking off with a new Thundercats comic and will continue with The Flintstones, The Powerpuff Girls, Space Ghost, Jonny Quest, The Wizard of Oz, and We Bare Bears… With the promise of more to come.

“Warner Bros. has been at the heart of entertainment in America and across the world for an incredible hundred years, and home to so many beloved stories and franchises,” Nick Barrucci, Dynamite CEO and Publisher said via press release. “We’re incredibly excited to bring many of them with the biggest and most passionate fanbases back to comics or for the first time, as we work with WBD and wonderful creators to bring all-new stories to the fans!”

The first title breaking loose out of the gate is Thundercats in February. Written by Declan Shalvey, with art by Drew Moss, Thundercats will be set in “the earliest days on Third Earth.” The origin-style comic will find characters like Lion-O and Cheetara trying to survive after escaping their original home. Don’t worry, villain Mumm-Ra the Ever-Living will be there, too.

Extraordinary Member

I'm always down for more Thundercats .

I'm curious how the Hanna Barbera comics will compare to DC's.

Astonishing Member

So many new lines and universes.

I'll have to see how the Space Ghost and Jonny Quest stuff looks. The other stuff, not so interested in.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I'll have to see how the Space Ghost and Jonny Quest stuff looks. The other stuff, not so interested in.

-M
    Same here.

Why aren't these at DC? I thought all WB comics were published by DC, since they own it. Instead, they licence some properties out, to the same company already doing a few Disney comics!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Why aren't these at DC? I thought all WB comics were published by DC, since they own it. Instead, they licence some properties out, to the same company already doing a few Disney comics!
    Same reason WBD is looking to sell the streaming rights of some of their stuff instead putting everything on Max - making money from the licensing fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Same reason WBD is looking to sell the streaming rights of some of their stuff instead putting everything on Max - making money from the licensing fee.
    Exactly, licensing is guaranteed money without production costs tied to it. If you make it yourself, and it does well, you could make more, but in today's market you're more likely to barely make a profit if not lose money on it, so taking the safe money is often the way to go. It's the licensee who shoulders the risk, not the rights owner.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 10-20-2023 at 09:51 AM.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

weird, but as a 80-90's kid it's hard to pass up on Thundercats.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Thundercats is a HUGE YES! Johnny Quest and Space Ghost most likely are too and the Power Puff Girls might just be out of sheer fun. The Wizard of Oz thing tho....depending on the creators and the story line, that just might be awesome.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Supposedly WB wasn't a fan of characters hanging themselves: https://bleedingcool.com/comics/end-...era-dc-comics/

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    So many new lines and universes.
    OMG! Totally agree!! Can't wait to see how they'll handle PPG (LOL):

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Supposedly WB wasn't a fan of characters hanging themselves: https://bleedingcool.com/comics/end-...era-dc-comics/
    I'm not sure how relevant a 4 year old speculation piece on BC is to this decision when DC has published a few new HB comics since then (including 2 Scooby-Doo/Batman minis and an ongoing series plus team ups). The market has changed drastically since 2019 with the Pandemic, the collapse of Diamond's monopoly, and several other actually relevant business factors that have reshaped what is viable and what is not in the direct market and the decision is more likely a response to that than some rampant BC clickbait speculation about an upset unnamed suit from four years ago.

-M

Scooby team-ups started before the Beyond (I think thats what it was called) initiative and wasn't part of it.