Page 1 of 49 1234511 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - General Discussion

Since the recent overhaul, just thought it would be useful to start this thread to act as a general discussion for all things TMNT based... mostly the comics, since this is the comics section of the "community". But general TMNT discussion is welcomed as well...

That being said.. exciting news today.. the second trailer for TMNT came out today .. and also we are getting closer to the 30th anniversary date of the turtles that will provide us with that great cover collaboration of Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird !

Anything you all have your sights set on to celebrate the 30th? and whats been your favorite series of TMNT related comics?? I've always had a soft spot for adventures growing up with the cartoon.. but I love the classics too and IDW is doing a great job with the ongoing as well as cataloging old material for new readers.

I'll start.

In a world where franchises like the Amazing Spider-Man, the Dark Knight, and the Avengers can be counted on to produce movies grossing over a BILLION DOLLARS. And where hot shot director director Michael Bay is working on a TMNT movie franchise looking to score hundreds of millions like Transformers did. I can not for the life of me understand how Laird sells TMNT to Nickelodeon for a paltry $60 Million. That's like selling a winning lottery ticket to the pretty waitress for a few extra bucks becuz u were too chicken **** to cash it yourself.

Till the day it was sold, TMNT had to be the biggest superhero license owned by an individual since ever. Even Stan Lee wishes he could say that. You know Siegel, Shuster, and Bill Finger certainly fought tooth and nail to say they could. Hell the only other person who could make a statement like that is George Lucas, and he sold for $4 BILLION. No TMNT isn't nearly as poopular as Star Wars but in a world where Comic Book movies are blowing up like crazy and licences are all tied up to corporations, TMNT is easily worth a few hundred million. I'd start the bidding at $300 million and wouldn't blink for a second.

Really enjoying the IDW reboot. Loved the classics but this has been really well done. Having Eastman on board has been great too. One of the first things I read every month.

I pretty much think it's been a pretty good example of how to handle a re-start.

Fantastic Member

Longtime fan of the Mirage comics. Still probably my favorite series.

I'm more lukewarm about IDW's series, but I've been following it. I'm extremely glad IDW is in control if for no other reason than we're finally getting nice reprints of the Mirage material for fans to be exposed to.

That "City at War" doesn't come up more often in top comic-book arc polls is criminal.

Amazing Member

did anyone check out that fan created teaser on the robot 6 blog? "TMNT:Banished"... looks interesting to say the least. Thoughts?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man View Post
    I'll start.

In a world where franchises like the Amazing Spider-Man, the Dark Knight, and the Avengers can be counted on to produce movies grossing over a BILLION DOLLARS. And where hot shot director director Michael Bay is working on a TMNT movie franchise looking to score hundreds of millions like Transformers did. I can not for the life of me understand how Laird sells TMNT to Nickelodeon for a paltry $60 Million. That's like selling a winning lottery ticket to the pretty waitress for a few extra bucks becuz u were too chicken **** to cash it yourself.

Till the day it was sold, TMNT had to be the biggest superhero license owned by an individual since ever. Even Stan Lee wishes he could say that. You know Siegel, Shuster, and Bill Finger certainly fought tooth and nail to say they could. Hell the only other person who could make a statement like that is George Lucas, and he sold for $4 BILLION. No TMNT isn't nearly as poopular as Star Wars but in a world where Comic Book movies are blowing up like crazy and licences are all tied up to corporations, TMNT is easily worth a few hundred million. I'd start the bidding at $300 million and wouldn't blink for a second.
    Interesting question there. I'm sure Eastman and Laird made insane amounts of money through their time owning it during the Turtlemania. All those toys etc. Even just say 60 million that Laird got for selling it, that alone is enough that he never has to worry about money for the rest of his life, or for his family, etc. For several lifetimes even. And while I agree Turtles will probably always make money and have a cartoon on etc, I do think the Bay produced movie looks poor and could be a flop.

Anyways, 300 million is a lot. The movie probably won't make 300 million profit, though they'd get back the 300 million back eventually for the license. Green Lantern for example made 100 mil domestic, 200 mil total worldwide. Minus budget and marketing, that's about breaking even. This Turtles movie might make less than that.

As for the comics, I love 'em! Can't beat the classic run, and the current run is terrific stuff in it's own right.

BANNED

I was a fan of the 90s tv series and the 2003 series. I briefly follow he current animated series.

However the current comic book series by IDW I buy in trades and it's an interesting series with great callbacks to the previous animated shows and comic books.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I was a fan of the 90s tv series and the 2003 series. I briefly follow he current animated series.

However the current comic book series by IDW I buy in trades and it's an interesting series with great callbacks to the previous animated shows and comic books.

yea, I think IDW does a good job of making their current turtles story their own but still keeping the overall same tone and values of the original as well as giving some nice spotlights to characters old and new. Each issue is great though.. one of the books I really look forward to each month

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

Big fan of the IDW line that's out right now. Easy to breeze through, but the art is great, always a good fight scene on the horizon and it has done a good job of giving one character the limelight before moving onto the next, without ever having any of the main characters forgotten about.

Gonna bump this. Issue 35 was the first one I bought after catching up with the current back issues and I'm excited to see where this is going, aside from the tease of the Rat King's first IDW appearance the growing build up to the conflict with Shredder and/or Krang I'm fascinated at Old Hob's growth, as one of the few original characters, from a thug to be beat down by the turtles to a resourceful player, working from virtually nothing, playing each side, to get where he is now with a chance to become TMNT's version of Magneto.

Loving this series. I really love the fusion of all eras of TMNT into one solid universe that makes the best of all versions.

Amazing Member

excited for Rat King to come.. and yea, Hob is becoming an interesting player.. wondering how Slash's role is going to come into play now too with this recent addition of Splinters blood and Hob's new "employee". Love this series..

Turtles in Time was pretty fun too.. def. nowhere near as serious, but a fun turtles book to read on the side for 4 issues.. I wouldnt quite say its up to the par or the Foot Clan or Utrom mini's though, judging from the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Longtime fan of the Mirage comics. Still probably my favorite series.

I'm more lukewarm about IDW's series, but I've been following it. I'm extremely glad IDW is in control if for no other reason than we're finally getting nice reprints of the Mirage material for fans to be exposed to.

That "City at War" doesn't come up more often in top comic-book arc polls is criminal.
    So true. City at War was/is one of my all time favorite comic book arcs.

Comics wise, the IDW reboot is incredible. I'm very easy to please when it comes to TMNT, though. If it says Ninja Turtles on it, I'm there. The only cartoon more influential on my childhood than X-Men TAS was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Both current versions, the IDW comic and Nick cartoon, are so good and I think part of the reason is because they're both extremely respectful to their predecessors.

Amazing Member

I was able to get a Saturday ticket to NYCC.. I know its still early but I'm hoping there will be some good TMNT guests or exclusive toys/merchandise available... If anyone hears of anything as it gets closer, please post it here! I'll be checking around the 'Drome as well as it gets closer to see if theres any news being talked about related to NYCC.