Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950 LastLast

Looks like Aaron's trying to reset back-to-basics, including the Turtles, and going for a more early Mirage-style tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Looks like Aaron's trying to reset back-to-basics, including the Turtles, and going for a more early Mirage-style tone.
    OMG! Similar to the Eastman/Laird City at War (1992/1993):

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-22-2024 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Turtles really getting the respect it deserves! These are great artists.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Extraordinary Member

IDW has been on a tear with new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reveals, and this week was no exception. Hot on the heels of the TMNT: Sourcebook–which we rather liked at AIPT–there are five new projects highlighted below. Spearheading the reveals is IDW co-publisher Mark Doyle.

“One of the great things about being at IDW is seeing all the amazing and diverse talent working on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles over the years. We wanted to create a slate of books that reflected that talent and allow them to tell a wide range of stories that would thrill all kinds of fans.” Doyle added, “It’s an honor to be publishing TMNT comics during the iconic franchise’s 40th anniversary and we’ve gone all-out to truly celebrate Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird’s unforgettable creations.”

First up is TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: BLACK, WHITE AND GREEN. The new series will feature creators Declan Shalvey, Paulina Ganucheau, Javier Rodriguez, and Jock, unleashing visually striking short stories using only black, white, and green. Think of it as IDW’s “Black, White & Red” at Marvel .

“Getting to work on the Turtles is an absolute dream come true,” commented Shalvey. “I was a total Turtles nut as a kid (had the Turtle Van, the sewer playset, the works) and have always loved the characters. It’s amazing to see the passion behind these characters, even through all the different iterations over the years. I’ve been hoping someone would invite me to do something with them for a long, long time. For it to happen on the Turtles’ anniversary is a real treat… the cherry on the cake, or the pepperoni on the pizza, if you will.”
    On June 5, TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: ALPHA will set the stage for the future of the TMNT universe. Featuring a story by fan-favorite creative Tom Waltz with art by rising star Gavin Smith, their Turtles tale will explore the aftermath of the epic and emotional TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #150 (4/10), including an appearance from the fan-favorite fifth Turtle Jennika. Plus, this issue will see the debut of Eisner Award-winner Jason Aaron’s TMNT writing with a 10-page prelude drawn by New York Times bestselling artist Chris Burnham. This gripping story will set the tone for Aaron’s relaunch in July.

On June 12, everyone’s favorite honorable samurai and rabbit out of time will meet with the Heroes in a Half Shell again… but this time in a whole new dimension! TMNT veteran writer Erik Burnham and animated artist Jack Lawrence proudly present an oversized adventure inspired by the classic 1987 cartoon series: TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES/USAGI YOJIMBO: SATURDAY MORNING ADVENTURES.
    Violence and discrimination against mutants is running wild, and a new vigilante will rise up to combat it… but who is this fearsome fighter standing bravely against those who wish to harm mutants? From the inventive mind of writer Juni Ba and the brilliant artist Fero Pe comes TMNT: NIGHTWATCHER, a new ongoing series this August. “I find the world of TMNT extremely fun and fascinating, and I want to use the character of Nightwatcher as an anchor to explore that world in an action-packed adventure format that I hope people will love,” said Ba. “While it’s a spin-off series, I do want it to stand on its own as something you like for itself, and not just because it’s tied to TMNT. Expect some heartfelt stories, Saturday morning action cartoon vibes and cool vigilante badassery!”

Extraordinary Member

The IDW TMNT universe is full of compelling and exciting characters, and this September, the TMNT: MUTANT NATION ongoing series will bring that amazing array of characters into the spotlight! Tom Waltz, the co-writer of more than 100 issues of TMNT and THE LAST RONIN, will be joined by spectacular storyteller Sophie Campbell and more fan-favorite TMNT creatives to continue exploring the rich universe and its many mutants. “With TMNT: MUTANT NATION, we have the opportunity to further expand our long-running IDW TMNT universe alongside Jason Aaron’s relaunch of the main ongoing TMNT series,” remarked Waltz. “We’ve built a massively diverse and exciting ensemble cast of characters and settings over the years, and I’m ecstatic to remain a part of its continued evolution alongside fellow creators, telling more TMNT stories that we all hope will continue to entertain our amazingly enthusiastic and loyal readership… both old and new!”

Extraordinary Member

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Alpha #1 Cover by Gavin Smith

Astonishing Member

Hm...

Nightwatcher seems like a cash grab with that TMNT logo. I will not buy it. Mutant Nation is probably about all the other characters like Nobody, Casey, April etc. I can see myself shell money out for it.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

That's a lot of Turtles content, hopefully it's fun.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Alpha is kicking off the new run with Aaron and get as close to "back to basics" as the IDW Turtles can get.

Mutant Nation will probably be keeping up with some of the deeper plots of the IDW Turtles continuity.

So a comic version of the Usagi and Turtles crossover from the 80's cartoon? Weird.

So I'm guessing Nighwatcher isn't Raph?

So a comic version of the Usagi and Turtles crossover from the 80's cartoon? Weird.
    Those episodes back in the day dropped Usagi off in the modern world, and that storyline was never resolved. If i'm reading this correctly, this one-shot will be the resolution showing Usagi returning to his reality and presumably we'll see a TMNT '88 version of Usagi's world, supporting characters, etc.

I gotta say; it'll be interesting seeing a comic about Usagi not by Stan Sakai! I don't know how many of those there are. A backup story by Peter Laird from the early days is all that comes to mind.

Another wild thing: Usagi's character design in the show was based on how Stan drew him back then, but his style has changed dramatically since, so in Stan's variant cover he has to go back to drawing him how he used to!

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Those episodes back in the day dropped Usagi off in the modern world, and that storyline was never resolved. If i'm reading this correctly, this one-shot will be the resolution showing Usagi returning to his reality and presumably we'll see a TMNT '88 version of Usagi's world, supporting characters, etc.

I gotta say; it'll be interesting seeing a comic about Usagi not by Stan Sakai! I don't know how many of those there are. A backup story by Peter Laird from the early days is all that comes to mind.

Another wild thing: Usagi's character design in the show was based on how Stan drew him back then, but his style has changed dramatically since, so in Stan's variant cover he has to go back to drawing him how he used to!
    That's pretty neat .

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post

That's pretty neat .
    Indeed. Glad to hear Usagi Yojimbo (兎用心棒) is a Stan Sakai exclusive. Different interpretations are a real treat, though...

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-05-2024 at 09:52 PM.
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Last Ronin II: Re-volution issue 1 came out today. It was a fun but basic first issue. It's hard to get a handle on whose who of the new Turtles but they are a fun group.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Last Ronin II: Re-volution issue 1 came out today. It was a fun but basic first issue. It's hard to get a handle on whose who of the new Turtles but they are a fun group.
    I bought it but am going to wait till all are released to read it. I agree that visually I'm still working through their looks and associating that with their name since they are so new and not published monthly as yet.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime