Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I've enjoyed things so far. The reconciliation process to Splinters passing aside I've enjoyed the slower pace. The characters need that shakedown time. It adds a bit more reality to the narrative.
    No one is just constantly always in GO mode, FIGHT mode or even PREP to GO FIGHT mode. If they are they are burned out or dead. Jennika's and Alopex being brought in to the Clan, given their bandanna's is a nice sense of new family bonding.

I just got Urban Legends #24 last night, looking forward to finally reading the 3 issue conclusion(24-26) to a 20+year old story that got dropped when the property was at IMAGE in the mid 90s.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    I'm not a fan of Campbell's writing on TMNT so far unfortunately. Her dialogue seems amateurish compared to other writers like Waltz, Eastman or Flynn and she relies too much on emotional moments over developing the plot. And Mutant Town looks set to add even more characters which makes the Turtles seem more like supporting characters in their own title. The artwork is gorgeous though. I'll hang on for another arc or 2 before I decide whether I want to drop this series.
    IDW's TMT was consistently great, I'd go as far even to say it was my favorite incarnation of the turtles over the years. But damn... Campbell has absolutely torpedoed this book. 105 was painful to read.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    IDW's TMT was consistently great, I'd go as far even to say it was my favorite incarnation of the turtles over the years. But damn... Campbell has absolutely torpedoed this book. 105 was painful to read.
    Hm, i liked it. What do you think put you off?

I also don't have the sour vibes from #105. What element(s) are you folks that got soured/topedoed are you specifically referring?

Urban Legends #24 - who is Lady Shredder, the mystery continues and I'm liking getting this finale! I've much more enjoyed revisiting this era than I did when I initially read it and dropped it by #12 back then.

Astonishing Member

Last Ronin already started or will it be released later? I just remember the announcement, it seemed to me that the series was already released, there was even a rumor about the film adaptation, lol.

Astonishing Member

There's an element of the Core Four being kind of on the ropes and Jennika being celebrated, but I feel like we can chalk that up to this basically being the First Arc with her as a prime turtle. You introduce something like this, you're definitely going to want to have that next arc out of the gate be the "okay let's get to know this new figure and their status quo" situation. Where it could be irksome for me - it's not but I can critique well enough, I think - is that it also comes at the same time the Turtle boys world has been rocked.

Adding to that there's the mutant punk scene element that is definitely feeling pretty Sophie Campbell autobiographical. And a lot of kind of cute shifts in tone to go with the new angle. You've got the high Jennika centric tonality, Raph and Alopex smooching, and then the other boys are kind of dialed down a little. I thought Raph ironically not liking punk/metal that much and being more of a rap guy was actually kind of clever. It actually sort of fits him a little bit and surprised me. As a punk boy myself I kind of assumed Raph, because of the friendship with Casey and such, would be pretty punky, but ultimately seeing things in action I realized that maybe NONE of the turtle boys would really be particularly punk. The Frogs, yeah, sure, but Leo would be like all about discipline and probably traditional music, Donnie would be highly technical with the Classical thing or maybe techno (dude does do machines), and Mikey obviously ... you know ... Jimmy Buffet.

Not only that ... Casey historically ... not a huge fan of Punkers. Though I think we can probably clearly write Casey Jones into the "this dude listens to Heavy Metal" category.

So yeah the issue features a lot of meet-cutes and kind of slice of post-Splinter life dynamics. Without much else. Hobb up to no good but his minions holding off from drama for a single issue. Or, Koya and Bludgeon, they're ... Karai's goons? Kind of more of just an exploration of Mutant Town more than anything. That's the part where it's not just fine by me, it grows beyond its general storytelling into kind of something special.

The gist of the Turtles has always been that whole like "Were you seen?" thing where they're ninjas but also freaks of nature. They obviously love pop culture but live in the sewer and are apart from it. This is like the first time - definitely in this core series, not necessarily in elseworlds tales, where they have actually just been able to you know, go out into the mainstream and interact and NOT be freaks. So it might not be Donnie's scene or whatever, however it plays for each individual brother, but it is the first time they've ever just been able to go, not sneak into, not watch from a distance, just go to a normal public thing and be people.

I felt like the Dojo scenes reinforced that in particular while also addressing the new normal of Splinter Clan. The rest of the issue was fine, okay, we get our "we must have a Jennika focus now" stuff out of the way, barely but adequately hint at "there's still shenanigans coming down the pike" and don't really hardcore cover where everyone is at other than Jennika (like, I'm not a prude or standoffish, and in real life am ensconced and enmeshed in queer culture but I'm also an avid reader and consumer of pop culture so was anybody surprised that Jennika basically gets pegged as bisexual right out the gate? It seems like the industry standard these days.), other than a little movement on the Raph/Alopex front and some love for Mona Lisa which is pretty rad after all these years. It's slight but I do think there's substance to this issue being kind of a quiet breath while the turtles finally get to just do something normal for once.

There's a mutant town and they're members. They've always been New Yorkers but now there's this new paradigm. We should spend some time in Mutant Town so protecting it matters more to us. Because we know Baxter is going to be effing things up for us soon here.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

You and Lvenger have hit upon most of the major issues with this book.

Amateur dialogue (“I hate fun!”); tons of uninteresting/annoying ancillary characters consuming focus; Jennika becoming a cliche pastiche of 2019 comic book characters; completely boring “slice of life” nothingness; cringeworthy and frankly embarrassing use of “punk rock” in a quarantined disaster area; and more. This is the worst arc since the series began.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

I really like the art. I think Sophie Campbell may be my favorite artist for the Turtles outside of Eastman himself. I also think the emotional aspects of the book are extremely well done, especially in the first couple issues. That said, we are six issues in and haven't really gone past Mutant Town slice of life stuff, but more importantly having the Turtles act like supporting cast in their own book. I don't mind characters like Allopex, Jennika and others, but when it comes down to it, I'm reading the book for Donnie, Leo, Mikey and Raph.

Extraordinary Member

I took a break after #100 but read #105 and #106. The latter was a vast improvement over the former and probably had a bit to do with the handing out of duties to different people. Not that #105 was horrible, but it did feel more like someone writing just to for the sake of filling out an issue than moving a story forward. That is not the first time, though, this whole volume has been plagued with such issues, usually right after a big event, or right before the run up to another big event, and don't get me started on the content of most of the spin-off titles.

I really enjoyed the 2020 Annual. Good to see Rat King and that he's up to no good. I see this as the seeding issue of a good Rat King series of arcs in the near future!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I really enjoyed the 2020 Annual. Good to see Rat King and that he's up to no good. I see this as the seeding issue of a good Rat King series of arcs in the near future!!
    Annual was great. A breath of fresh air. Get this team on the regular issues.

Annual was great. A breath of fresh air. Get this team on the regular issues.
    Indeed, I also enjoyed it and agree that this creative team needs to do more Turtle stories ASAP.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Indeed, I also enjoyed it and agree that this creative team needs to do more Turtle stories ASAP.
    The creative team try a different route this time. Before the book was very compressed with much more text and multiple storylines going on at the same time. Right now its less words, bigger pictures that leads to a faster reading and a straight one track story.

Hey guys. The annuals never get collected in trades, right?

So hadn't read the ongoing in some time, so I just went ahead and started from scratch. Just finished TPB 1, Change is Constant. Such a good read.