Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

IMO, the title is absolutely putrid currently with this so-called "mutant town" crap. No substance at all to it. Like Richard Scarry's Busytown combined with melted ice cream that has sprinkles floating in it.

Yes, I still buy it out of habit but it is literally unreadable with this current "creative" team. Just hoping they can put this Sophie Campbell in the corner and give them some other title to screw around with. Not a fan.

Yeah, the current Christmas issue #124 aka "silent issue"...awful.

Astonishing Member

Though, I still like the title, I wasn't too fond of the silent issue. I never am, it just doesn't work for me.

With that being said, I am excited to see the Frog People. They look scary

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I read issue #125 last night. This is my last single, monthly issue. I'll be waiting on the Deluxes from here on out.

Enter: The Punk Frogs
    This is one concept from the history of TMNT over the decades yet to appear in this new more masterful concise timeline. I will say I'm a bit bummed they are starting out so aggressive and adversarial. My memory fails me a bit, were they a bit at odds when they first met in the cartoon/comic(Archie)?
    The dojo and home getting burned down in the fight is NOT going to have good lasting repercussions. I suppose if anything this signals a new beginning. The family will likely have to split up for housing I'd guess.
    I'll pick up this story in a bout a year I suppose.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Looks like Mona Lisa is coming back...I never really got the hate so I'm not against her making a come back.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Looks like Mona Lisa is coming back...I never really got the hate so I'm not against her making a come back.
    It's Venus de Milo if I'm not mistaken, not Mona Lisa...

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    It's Venus de Milo if I'm not mistaken, not Mona Lisa...
    My bad, yeah that's who I was thinking of.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

The Punk Frogs were scary dudes. Evil. I liked that.

It was the last single issue I'm going to read in awhile and I DISLIKED that they made the Punk Frogs debut as antagonistic. That could change I suppose.

Interesting about the Venus intro. Hoping for some good reads a few years from now when the DLX HC's catch up.

Predictions?

The punk frogs aren’t mutants. They’re associated with the Baron Toad. Same writer and artist. Also, a lot of build up the upcoming “Armageddon Game.”

Possibly a love triangle between Donnie, April, and Mona. Different artist but April is seen wearing a beanie and light blue sweater in the current story as Donatello early at Cambell’s run.

Astonishing Member

Punk Frogs are still great. Mean guys...but I think there is more to it, based on a comment from one of them.

I don't like the art too much, I mean its okay, but Alopex looks terrible. She looked kinda cute before, now she looks more like a scary wolf, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Punk Frogs are still great. Mean guys...but I think there is more to it, based on a comment from one of them.

I don't like the art too much, I mean its okay, but Alopex looks terrible. She looked kinda cute before, now she looks more like a scary wolf, or something.
    It's not often that I'm overly critical of the artists as art is always going to be really subjective...but Tunica's art is legitimately and objectively bad. The backgrounds are nearly all just empty spaces, giving little detail on whether the scene is inside or out, the emotions on the character's faces are often hard to read and worst of all you can't even tell the Turtles apart from eachother and in one scene it didn't even look like Donnie was a male as I thought he was Jennika or possibly even Venus De Milo as her appearance was teased to occur in this issue. It was just horrid all around...like I honestly think my own drawings would have been an improvement and I'm just an idle doodler. Reading this book I just don't get how he's a professional artist that is getting paid to work on this book. Is IDW cutting corners? I hope not as this run has been fantastic so I'd hate to see it go bad.

I flipped through the Venus debut issue.
    My takeaway is she looks like a Frankenstein type creation? But by whom? That wasn't Rat King.

Extraordinary Member

I have not read the issue yet (and have been on a break from the series), but did catch that the name of the character who is experimenting on Venus is Dr. Barlow.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I flipped through the Venus debut issue.
    My takeaway is she looks like a Frankenstein type creation? But by whom? That wasn't Rat King.
    Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I have not read the issue yet (and have been on a break from the series), but did catch that the name of the character who is experimenting on Venus is Dr. Barlow.
    Yeah, he's a new villain who seems to be working with a mystery partner who has yet to be revealed but with his rat mutation I'm betting is the Ratking.

The story itself was actually pretty solid, with the body-horror plot being a new twist that hasn't been seen in TMNT but man, the art is horrid.

The annual was so much better in every way though. From start to finish it truly feels like a piece of the classic Mirage run visually. Ba both draws and colors this issue with a gritty but clean and simplistic look that will truly feel like home to old- school Ninja Turtles fans. And the cover showing Leonardo with the red bandana? That's no lie, or trick either, as Ba gives all the Ninja Turtles red bandanas both in the plot and to visually show that they have finally come back together as a family as they work together to defeat the enemy.

Definitely the best turtle book in a good while.

All-New Member Constantine Drakon's Avatar

Very promising issue. Campbell's made no secret about loving horror stuff, and while the "Alien hunt" against the Slithery never really came together, this one's firing on all creepy cylinders. Using scales from the dragon to make Barlow's mad science possible was a nifty way to introduce a whole new (awful) type of science into the IDW books.