Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast
    Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    You don't read much science fiction I take it?
    The so called "rules" of A.I. have been established for decades.

Asimov pretty much solidified them and since then they all have that same branding.
    Even in the field of A.I. today, in the real world, things like the three laws are applicable.
    In developing true artificial intelligence the concepts that have been pioneered on the subject have and are currently being utilized.

Look, just because some of us take an actual interest in this subject and DO KNOW a lot about it, doesn't mean your lack of enthusiasms or knowledge cancels it out.
    These rules don't apply in the Marvel Universe though, see for example Ultron etc

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by just another user View Post
    These rules don't apply in the Marvel Universe though, see for example Ultron etc
    A.I. supersedes the three laws.
    Once a robot gains self awareness and free will the laws are no longer applicable.
    Or at least shouldn't be based on the fact that they can now circumvent those programs.

That's the entire point really.

I was applying the three laws to what we're currently at.
    Which is simple slave-master robots like ASIMO which just take commands.
    Even then we're still nowhere near implementing the three laws.

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

A.I. supersedes the three laws.
    Once a robot gains self awareness and free will the laws are no longer applicable.
    Or at least shouldn't be based on the fact that they can now circumvent those programs.

That's the entire point really.

I was applying the three laws to what we're currently at.
    Which is simple slave-master robots like ASIMO which just take commands.
    Even then we're still nowhere near implementing the three laws.
    Right, so the people in the Marvel Universe know the three laws are worthless and that AIs are dangerous.

BANNED

These are the three laws for anyone interested.

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
    A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
    A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

With true A.I. these are virtually cancelled out because the being in question is now given free will.
    With free will now come the ability to make a person distinction between right and wrong and well as willfully doing both.
    Self Awareness is essentially the burden of humanity.

Right, so the people in the Marvel Universe know the three laws are worthless and that AIs are dangerous.
    Like any person, some are dangerous and some aren't.
    We don't kill all humans because some have the capability of destruction.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Some AIs are dangerous, just as there are dangerous mutants, dangerous metahumans and dangerous criminals among humans. I would think that the mutant population can sympathize with being profiled as dangerous.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Some AIs are dangerous, just as there are dangerous mutants, dangerous metahumans and dangerous criminals among humans. I would think that the mutant population can sympathize with being profiled as dangerous.
    maybe, but would they actually go out and help? Wasn't the Danger Room and enslaved AI for years?

the difference is that mutants and metahumans are living creatures and ais are programmable or out-of-control machinery.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    maybe, but would they actually go out and help? Wasn't the Danger Room and enslaved AI for years?
    If they have free will it's up to them.
    Really, that's all it comes down to.

That's the beauty of free will, you make your own choices.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    that's fine but i find it disturbing that people in the marvel universe project human qualities onto machines and then wonder why they annihilate every living thing in their path when it goes wrong. or even more disturbing is when women fall in love with them and then wipe out an entire race when her life crumbles because of it.
    Yeah, cause it's not like humans, mutants, aliens and every other race haven't done those exact same things.

Amazing Member

This is not a point. Robots are robots. Toasters and wires, made to fulfil the needs of real things. A robot nanny being nice to your children is like your DVR working correctly. Programming. They have no rights, they are created to serve their function.

Except Danger, it is canon that she is sentient alien life, in the form of robotics. But she would not accept shield even talking to her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessatnoon View Post
    This is not a point. Robots are robots. Toasters and wires, made to fulfil the needs of real things. A robot nanny being nice to your children is like your DVR working correctly. Programming. They have no rights, they are created to serve their function.
    We're talking about A.I. who are self aware, have free will, and a conscience...
    You know, like how people, aliens, mutants and the like have.

The only difference is how they are created.

Amazing Member

We're talking about A.I. who are self aware, have free will, and a conscience...
    You know, like how people, aliens, mutants and the like have.

The only difference is how they are created.
    Baby Kang travelled back in time and used vision's "body" to make a suit of armor. Iron man kept vision's "body" in a storage crate for years. Until he ran out of side projects.

They have no rights. They are sprockets laced together with lightning. For humans to use for amusement.

Amazing Member

She could have fallen in love with a mutant or human who couldn't procreate and the same thing would have happened.
    Humans have options. There is no such thing as robot sperm.

BANNED

Baby Kang travelled back in time and used vision's "body" to make a suit of armor. Iron man kept vision's "body" in a storage crate for years. Until he ran out of side projects.

They have no rights. They are sprockets laced together with lightning. For humans to use for amusement.
    I'm sorry you feel that way but... no?
    Jim Hammond is clearly not for amusement.

And we also went over the Iron Man/Vision thing earlier in the thread.

Humans have options. There is no such thing as robot sperm.
    Some humans are sterile... like Vision.

You could theoretically replicate the biological make-up of sperm with encoded nanites.
    Yay science fiction.

Amazing Member

I'm sorry you feel that way but... no?
    Jim Hammond is clearly not for amusement.

And we also went over the Iron Man/Vision thing earlier in the thread.
    Jum Hammond was mined for parts to make vision. Hermetically sealed like an action figure for years. Now he plays stooge for SHIELD, because he can't say no to mother.

Some humans are sterile... like Vision

It's more like, if a man was born without any sexual organs. Or a brain. Or a heart. Or anything. Yet could heat bread.

You could theoretically replicate the biological make-up of sperm with encoded nanites.
    Yay science fiction.
    And create half robot, half human babies? You're worse than Mephisto.