Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Abe Sapien #36: The Desolate Shore (the final issue)

Writer: Mike Mignola and Scott Allie
    Artist: Sebastián Fiumara
    Colorist: Dave Stewart
    Cover Artist: Sebastián Fiumara

August 10, 2016

The future of mankind hangs in the balance as Abe Sapien finally comes ashore to face the necromancer who’s figured out how to use Abe’s role in the apocalypse to his advantage.

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

What a fantastic interview! Love the twins' process, and this sheds a lot of light on the entire run. Looking forward to re-reading the whole thing once issue 36 is out.

Spectacular Member

Great interview, Can't wait to pick up #34 tomorrow.

The Fiumara bros. have crushed it on art for the whole series, they will be missed. Hopefully they show up again on another Mignolaverse title in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by topfueluhl View Post
    The Fiumara bros. have crushed it on art for the whole series, they will be missed. Hopefully they show up again on another Mignolaverse title in the future.
    I hope so too. I'd love to see Sebastián take a crack at Witchfinder and I think Max would be be an excellent on a Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. story.

Amazing Member

*HEAVY SPOILERS FOR THE ISSUE*

So is Shonchin suggesting that the more advanced right-hand path people became the aliens? That's what I read into it. Could be wrong though.

Also, maybe I'm just having a funky memory day, but why is the spirit of Oannes/Abe/The Sea/Ancient Martyr also in Saint-Sebastien?

Did no know it was ending!

This has been a really good run! Just finsished vol 7.

I would love to see the fiumora bros on Swamp Thing, if they want to move away from mignolaverse

It looks like the final issue of Abe Sapien has been pushed out to Aug 31st. I was looking forward to reading it this week. I wonder, why the delay?

Abe Sapien #36
    Last edited by topfueluhl; 08-08-2016 at 08:40 AM.

Spectacular Member

Can't believe the final issue is out tomorrow, Terrified as to what will go down. Really hope Max and Sebastian stick around and contribute more art in the Mignolaverse.

Quote Originally Posted by highlandhellboy View Post
    Can't believe the final issue is out tomorrow, Terrified as to what will go down. Really hope Max and Sebastian stick around and contribute more art in the Mignolaverse.
    Yeah, me too.

Spectacular Member

It setup some future stuff obviously but I dunno, for a final issue it just felt so....uneventful and low impact, maybe because the fight choreography wasn't particularly impressive. Feels like Allie spoiled a lot of the momentum with those random civilians, despite the book's focus on street level stuff I never felt like Allie was good at integrating that sort of stuff. The most interesting parts of the last few issues was that it finally focused on Abe in the bigger picture. Hellboy in Hell #10 this is not.

I did like the parallels between Hellboy and Abe denying their fate, but that their tasks were so much greater than themselves that other forces would pick up the slack.
    Last edited by The Lobster; 08-31-2016 at 06:16 AM.

Amazing Member

I definitely agree, the whole thing felt like a deflation after the relatively excellent last four or five issues. Maybe my expectations were too high but I wanted something a bit more interesting than some punches and a predictable villain death.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Lobster View Post
    It setup some future stuff obviously but I dunno, for a final issue it just felt so....uneventful and low impact, maybe because the fight choreography wasn't particularly impressive. Feels like Allie spoiled a lot of the momentum with those random civilians, despite the book's focus on street level stuff I never felt like Allie was good at integrating that sort of stuff. The most interesting parts of the last few issues was that it finally focused on Abe in the bigger picture. Hellboy in Hell #10 this is not.

I did like the parallels between Hellboy and Abe denying their fate, but that their tasks were so much greater than themselves that other forces would pick up the slack.
    Yeah, it was a slight let down and it was so simple that it made all the previous Stobl segments just seem like filler because ultimately they didn't lead to any great revelations. I've been a bit turned off by the recent ending, Hellboy in Hell's conclusion felt rushed to me and this one was as well.

I never really felt it achieved its potential. I would of killed for a 3-5 issue mini from Santiago Caruso (#30 is the standout of the series). The Fiumara twins are great artists and I'll pay attention to what they do next regardless.