Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well, i spend all my week thinking about how would be this end and i am disappointed now.. it didn't answer anything and the fist fight was just boring, a really simple end to one of the most twisted villains we saw in the Mignolaverse. I thought we would see something related to vril, maybe an epic attack against Stroble Sapien or maybe some alien action, but...

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, it was a slight let down and it was so simple that it made all the previous Stobl segments just seem like filler because ultimately they didn't lead to any great revelations. I've been a bit turned off by the recent ending, Hellboy in Hell's conclusion felt rushed to me and this one was as well.
    Maybe stuff feels "rushed" to you but to me it sure doesn't.

And actually, the implication of these endings as having to seem "rushed" - just because you can't feel to like them - seems needlessly accusational to me.

These endings or the storytelling and themes to the Mignolaverse seem particularly well-constructed both as richly layered to me.
    In how the protagonists from their earliest beginnings have been portrayed as individuals struggling with their own exceptional destinies or particular purposes forced onto them.

How Hellboy has been introduced to being a demon moreso than anything else, with his summoner as such having instigated or brought about the Apocalypse onto Earth for all we know. Meaning technically that with Hellboy's presence the Apocalypse would only have to be proving but imminent!
    And how Hellboy realises he'd need to step away from or break with the B.P.R.D. at a certain point, for never coming back to it.

How Abe is himself also destined to be finding out who and what he really is, an unnatural and failed experiment, even in his own eyes, both as possibly another kind of 'seed of destruction' all of himself.
    How the B.P.R.D. stay active eventhough there'd be little indication they could hope to make dents into such stuff as destinies or inescapable doom.

After reading some 23 years' worth of this stuff I cannot say that any of it is or has been becoming kind of thin or bleak or repetitive or any such at all. So as such I feel it unneeded to think or comment lightly or derrogatively towards either its creating or any resolve to it at all.

Must be I'm impressed with things more rather than not - not by feeling forced to be loving it all, but by feeling the room to let things resonate anyway they would.
    I'm not feeling myself urged or needing to be judging any of it, not even when certain titles like Hellboy in Hell and Abe Sapien are ending, with the B.P.R.D. and potentially Witchfinder as being to still continue. There might be stand-alone books or adventures as still coming to pass, even if where it's all headed would in ways be proving firm and finite already.

I'm thinking or at least anticipating that the weight to these endings are gonna be to weigh in or ring out on stories or be it developments as being still to come. With things reading a certain way now but maybe as becoming to be catering contextually to titles or archs as still upcoming.
    Resolve or meaningfulness doesn't hinge on Hellboy and the Bureau needing to 'conquer' or 'defeat doom' per se in order to have meaning. Same as how Ahab and Dicky or ten billion folktales or Shakespeare aren't proposing but the happiest of endings.

All in all I think that as a reader I'm happy, or not potentially but that's its own thing, as not warranting accusations by any means. By my reading I'm not at all forced to be *rushing* anything myself, in how even endings needn't be to agree with me in order for them to be impacting upon my reading. No *rush*, period.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 09-04-2016 at 03:44 AM. Reason: In a bit of a *rush*...
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper