Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator

Default Poll: Who Is The Greatest Superman Artist Of All Time?

Who Is The Greatest Superman Artist Of All Time?

This week, John Romita Jr. becomes the latest legendary comic artist to tackle Superman's adventures. With that in mind, We want to know who you feel is the greatest Superman artist of all-time?

Vote on the poll here.

Good polling options.

I'm kinda curious which artists "carried the torch" as the widely-agreed Superman artist of their time. My own knowledge on this is lacking, so for me, I think the SuperArtist lineage goes like this

From

Joe Shuster (1938 - 1940s)

to

Wayne Boring (1950s)

to

Al Plastino (1960s)

to

Curt Swan (1970s)

to

John Byrne (1980s)

to

Dan Jurgens (1990s)

to

??? (2000s)

to

Jim Lee? (2010s)

This is an inferior list for the bearers of the "Superman Matrix of Artistry". Surely someone out there has a much more developed idea about all the heirs to Shuster's Throne?

Retired

I fail to understand why CBR conducts all these polls. What is the purpose of their study--will it lead to something? They certainly aren't using a scientific method. By predetermining which artists that people vote on they are skewing the results and their study is bound to prove baseless.

I had to go with José Luis García-López.

Jose Luis Garcia Lopez then Curt Swan a close second. Ed McGuinness and Dan Jurgens virtually tied for third.

man that's a tough one…

Byrne, Swan, and Lopez are pretty much tied for me. have to choose Byrne though

I know his name isn't on their but I really loved Ivan Reis' short run on Action.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    Jose Luis Garcia Lopez then Curt Swan a close second. Ed McGuinness and Dan Jurgens virtually tied for third.
    I went with Garcia Lopez as #1. He was awesome.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    This is a pretty great list. I'd like to put Ordway, Byrne and Doc Shaner in there as well.
    Last edited by Robanker; 03-24-2020 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH View Post
    I had to go with José Luis García-López.
    came here to say this

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I dunno about greatest but, i like joe shuster, darwyn cooke, doc shaner and jack kirby superman.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-24-2020 at 11:37 PM.

Gotta be purely for entertainment purposes and "water cooler" conversation. The poll was pitched with, Superman #32 is out today and John Romita, Jr. takes over as the current Superman artist. What company would you put him in? Would you put him up there with Curt Swan and Wayne Boring; or, Jim Lee.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Garcia-Lopez for me, but I'm totally cool with Curt Swan leading the poll at the moment.

Retired

I think the nature of these polls is stupid and the end results meaningless--so I'm not voting on 'em--but obviously if I did pick one it would be Curt Swan. If by no other criteria than his output, there is no artist who can equal him as he produced so many Superman and family stories in the '50, '60s, '70s and '80s. About the only artists that approach that level of productivity are Wayne Boring and Al Plastino (both producing Superman art in the '40s, '50s and '60s).

There are plenty of artists who haven't been put in the poll at all. I know that George Perez has always gotten support whenever this topic has come up before (and it comes up a lot). And other artists deserve to at least be considered, like Mike McKone, Nick Cardy, Jackson Guice, Kurt Schaffenberger, Howard Porter, Jack Burnley, Mike Wieringo, Fred Ray, Adam Kubert, Dick Sprang, Rags Morales, Win Mortimer, and so many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I fail to understand why CBR conducts all these polls. What is the purpose of their study--will it lead to something? They certainly aren't using a scientific method. By predetermining which artists that people vote on they are skewing the results and their study is bound to prove baseless.
    For fun