Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default New 52 Superman fans, what do we do now?

Now that the "old" Superman is coming back, what are our options? Do we wait it out and see what they did to the "new" Superman? I'm at least willing to do this. Do we move on to someone else? The current management at DC doesn't seem to know what to do with Superman in general, regardless of which "version" we're talking about so I'm not so sure moving on is such a bad idea. At least until the current editorial regime is gone. What do you plan to do?

Spectacular Member

I mean my plan is to speak with my wallet. I will buy Supergirl and New Superman and then nothing but Batman titles. Because at least there is some level of competence over in Bat-land. You can see they feel so damn clever.

It's to the point where I am going to be more excited about Red Hood and Nightwing than Superman - a dark dark day for superman fandom.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Now that the "old" Superman is coming back, what are our options? Do we wait it out and see what they did to the "new" Superman? I'm at least willing to do this. Do we move on to someone else? The current management at DC doesn't seem to know what to do with Superman in general, regardless of which "version" we're talking about so I'm not so sure moving on is such a bad idea. At least until the current editorial regime is gone. What do you plan to do?
    There's always the option of looking into older and out of canon stories. I was initially too offended to try Superman: Armageddon 2001, but found it's actually a nice story where Superman shows Maxima about how her ways were in the wrong. Also, I found some other Elseworlds stories to be great that some of you on the forum pointed out to me. Again, my thanks. My last New 52 based animated film I just got with Justice League vs Teen Titans, and Superman was interesting in that one too. I am willing to try Batman and possibly Marvel titles, likely older ones, Marvel really turned me off Spider-Man with OMD, and the loss of the Ultimate Universe (wanted to see more of Miles). But they sure won me over with the Captain America movies.

It just hurt to see Nu Superman suffer so much to get retconned.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    There's always the option of looking into older and out of canon stories. I was initially too offended to try Superman: Armageddon 2001, but found it's actually a nice story where Superman shows Maxima about how her ways were in the wrong. Also, I found some other Elseworlds stories to be great that some of you on the forum pointed out to me. Again, my thanks. My last New 52 based animated film I just got with Justice League vs Teen Titans, and Superman was interesting in that one too. I am willing to try Batman and possibly Marvel titles, likely older ones, Marvel really turned me off Spider-Man with OMD, and the loss of the Ultimate Universe (wanted to see more of Miles). But they sure won me over with the Captain America movies.

It just hurt to see Nu Superman suffer so much to get retconned.
    I really liked the Adventures of Superman series. The anthology book. Most of the stories are "open world" enough that you can imagine any canon stories you want fit into their universes. Supposedly Max Landis' story he did for the series is part of the American Alien universe (don't know if this has ever been formally confirmed but given that he's building his own world, it would make sense).

I can't speak for anyone else nor will I urge anyone to do what I do, this is just me, but I've effective immediately dropped everything Superman related. Giving myself the option to try Supergirl though. I'll keep my ear to the ground in the event some semblance of sense reaches someone and Superman is brought back somehow or somewhere. But I'll use the internet to keep tabs on that. If Superdad's in it, I'm not buying it. I'm resigned to just be without a Superman outlet for some time. As far as fandom goes I'm pretty well back on the Star Wars bandwagon like I was as a kid (coincidentally as a kid I was all about Star Wars and Superman). That should keep me entertained enough.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I still read out of continuity stories like Earth One and American Alien. I've already committed to Lois and Clark so I'll finish that up. I'll keep an eye on the Super-books to see what the ultimate fate of New Superman is but unless they bring him back fully, I'm probably done with Superman's main books. Even if they do bring him back, it's obviously there's a bigger problem with DC editorial. So even if he comes back, I'm going to be leery about trusting them for a long time.

Fantastic Member

I'm out for the foreseeable future, with maybe an occasional glance at what Tim or Kyle are up to.

But rewarding the mediocrity of Dan Jurgens' Lois and Clark book was just the final straw for me for the most part. I can't stomach the kind of BS where the bare minimum is good enough for the character that put DC on the map while every other character gets a legitimate effort from the company to improve them.

Btw, I have that Armageddon 2001 annual with Maxima, and it was probably my favorite Armageddon 2001 annual, though I actually enjoyed the majority of the event. Got some old Elseworlds books to read as well, and despite Teek's attempt at trolling the N52 Superman fans in another thread, I still have the N52 Superman books to read, because even at their worst, they're better than what's coming.

So while I may not have posted too much on this board, it was nice coming here knowing I wasn't the only one frustrated with what's happening here.

You can always do what pre-Flashpoint Superman fans did after The New 52 started up:

(1) Listen to people tell you "you're just old and you hate change!" and "hey, nobody's talking away your New 52 comic-book collection; those stories are still there!"
    (2) Complain.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    You can always do what pre-Flashpoint Superman fans did after The New 52 started up:

(1) Listen to people tell you "you're just old and you hate change!" and "hey, nobody's talking away your New 52 comic-book collection; those stories are still there!"
    (2) Complain.
    well im a pro change kind of guy, im just not into backwards changes, some of those may end up being simply cruel. and yes i will buy my hardcover "bullet proof" this week, lucky me

i will also wait for the new edition of KC

as for the super line, supergirl seems interesting and wait for news about elseworlds ^^

BANNED

I'm going to continue reading the Superman books and see how this plays out.

While I knew there would be people upset were Pre-Flashpoint Superman to take over the Superman books, I never expected them to this displeased with the development. Now I'm dreading the reaction of those that prefer Pre-Flashpoint Superman, when New 52 Superman returns.

Invincible. I'll be in touch just in case Nu Sperman returns.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    I'm going to continue reading the Superman books and see how this plays out.

While I knew there would be people upset were Pre-Flashpoint Superman to take over the Superman books, I never expected them to this displeased with the development. Now I'm dreading the reaction of those that prefer Pre-Flashpoint Superman, when New 52 Superman returns.
    DC seemingly doesn't realize that the Superman fanbase isn't monolithic and that constantly toying with which version of the character is "real" only intensifies these splits.

Looks like we will have to read Super League too see what happens to Nu Clark.

I don't really care, to be honest. Knowing they're replacing him is enough to just hop off now. Not interested in what lame and contrived reasons they come up with.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Rebirth (or Rehash, let's face it) looks like the ideal jumping-off point for me. I really wanted to see more adventures, developments, etc with N52 Superman. Judging by the June solicits, that doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon.

At least there's still Justice League vs Teen Titans to look forward to. It's at least got the newer, cooler version of Superman