Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Poll: Who Is The Greatest Superman Artist Of All Time?

Who Is The Greatest Superman Artist Of All Time?

This week, John Romita Jr. becomes the latest legendary comic artist to tackle Superman's adventures. With that in mind, We want to know who you feel is the greatest Superman artist of all-time?

Vote on the poll here.

Good polling options.

I'm kinda curious which artists "carried the torch" as the widely-agreed Superman artist of their time. My own knowledge on this is lacking, so for me, I think the SuperArtist lineage goes like this

From

Joe Shuster (1938 - 1940s)

to

Wayne Boring (1950s)

to

Al Plastino (1960s)

to

Curt Swan (1970s)

to

John Byrne (1980s)

to

Dan Jurgens (1990s)

to

??? (2000s)

to

Jim Lee? (2010s)

This is an inferior list for the bearers of the "Superman Matrix of Artistry". Surely someone out there has a much more developed idea about all the heirs to Shuster's Throne?

Retired

I fail to understand why CBR conducts all these polls. What is the purpose of their study--will it lead to something? They certainly aren't using a scientific method. By predetermining which artists that people vote on they are skewing the results and their study is bound to prove baseless.

I had to go with José Luis García-López.

Jose Luis Garcia Lopez then Curt Swan a close second. Ed McGuinness and Dan Jurgens virtually tied for third.

man that's a tough one…

Byrne, Swan, and Lopez are pretty much tied for me. have to choose Byrne though

I know his name isn't on their but I really loved Ivan Reis' short run on Action.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Growing up in the '70's it was Curt Swan. There was a little bit of Neal Adams, Jose Luis Garcia Lopez and Ross Andru in there. But Curt Swan was the Superman artist. Just like Jim Aparo was pretty much a staple on Batman in the mid- to late- '70's.

Gotta be purely for entertainment purposes and "water cooler" conversation. The poll was pitched with, Superman #32 is out today and John Romita, Jr. takes over as the current Superman artist. What company would you put him in? Would you put him up there with Curt Swan and Wayne Boring; or, Jim Lee.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Garcia-Lopez for me, but I'm totally cool with Curt Swan leading the poll at the moment.

Retired

I think the nature of these polls is stupid and the end results meaningless--so I'm not voting on 'em--but obviously if I did pick one it would be Curt Swan. If by no other criteria than his output, there is no artist who can equal him as he produced so many Superman and family stories in the '50, '60s, '70s and '80s. About the only artists that approach that level of productivity are Wayne Boring and Al Plastino (both producing Superman art in the '40s, '50s and '60s).

There are plenty of artists who haven't been put in the poll at all. I know that George Perez has always gotten support whenever this topic has come up before (and it comes up a lot). And other artists deserve to at least be considered, like Mike McKone, Nick Cardy, Jackson Guice, Kurt Schaffenberger, Howard Porter, Jack Burnley, Mike Wieringo, Fred Ray, Adam Kubert, Dick Sprang, Rags Morales, Win Mortimer, and so many others.

1. Curt Swan -He IS the Superman artist. Just for the amazing amount of Superman work he drew plus he did it for so long.
    2. Jose Luis Garcia Lopez - his image of Superman is everywhere. His Superman is the version the general public knows.
    3. Wayne Boring - the definitive version of Superman before Swan.
    4. Dan Jurgens - the modern Superman.

Lopez. Much respect to Curt Swan, but all he really has over other greats is longevity. Many artists on this list drew a superior Superman, however, in my opinion.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I'm kinda curious which artists "carried the torch" as the widely-agreed Superman artist of their time. . .
    Joe Shuster was the dominant Superman artist in '38 and '39, but with his eyesight going, he relied on other artists in his shop to produce the bulk of the work. Paul Cassidy was an early assistant to Shuster on the Superman art, but in the '40s Wayne Boring and John Sikela emerged as the two most important Shuster studio artists. Jack Burnley wasn't a Shuster studio artist, but he produced some very good Superman art (but like Garcia Lopez after him, being in such demand, Jack didn't stay on the feature long enough to establish a long run).

See the Who's Who in DC Comics--Who Drew Superman?--for more on the Superman artists.

Al Plastino was a Shuster studio artist--and one of my favourites--but he always was in the shadow of other artists. Boring dominated the '50s, with both Plastino and Swan taking a backseat to him. The '60s are a transitional period. Boring was still king, but Swan was coming up as the rising star on Superman. Boring was summarily dumped in 1967 and Ross Andru came in at that point. Swan suffered with bad inkers, after George Klein left, at around the same time that Boriing had left (with the exception of Murphy Anderson's excellent inks on the Swan covers--as well as Neal Adams on other covers). So in fact, I would say that the team of Andru and Esposito (or Novick and Esposito on LOIS LANE) were the best Superman team in the late '60s.

Obviously, Curt Swan dominated the '70s. Dick Dillin did do his fair share of Superman art (mainly on team stories) and Nick Cardy was a great cover artist--followed by Bob Oksner on covers. In the late '70s, Jose Luis Garcia Lopez did some really good work, but he was stretched so thin with assignments that he never really had a big Superman output. Again, Ross Andru (this time inked by Dick Giordano) emerged as a Superman artist, but mainly on covers. Gil Kane had a significant run on SUPERMAN in the early '80s but Swan was still the main Superman artist.

After the reboot, Jerry Ordway was my favourite Superman artist--if I had to pick one--and he stayed on for a much longer period than John Byrne. But I guess, like Al Plastino before him, Ordway was always taking second place to the other Superman artists (first Byrne and then Jurgens). I would say that Dan Jurgens dominated most of the '90s. After that decade, I have no opinion.

Had to pick Bryne baby. When I think of Superman his version is the one that pops to my mind.
    How about Alex?