Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ely View Post
    It looks like a lot of folks base their favorites on their childhood nostalgia of Superman. If I was basing my favorites purely on my childhood memories then it would be Alex Toth (Super-Friends), Curt Swan, Dick Giordano, Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez along with Neal Adams. But I don't consider everything Superman that I had from my childhood the greatest just because it's from my childhood.
    The Super-Villains LIMITED COLLECTORS' EDITION had a cover by Dick Giordano, while the LCE cover with a lucky kid riding on the back of Superman was by Bob Oksner--Jack Adler probably photoshopped it with the Statue of Liberty. Oh wait, they didn't have photoshop--Adler had to mock all that up on his own using his skills as an artist and a photographer.

I probably saw Superman cartoons before I started buying Superman comics. That was in the '60s, so I was watching the Superman cartoons that used Curt Swan's illustrations as their model.

I think I was much smarter when I was a kid. Now my head is full of stupid notions. I have much more respect for what I knew when I was a child.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

That is crazy tough. It's a very different question than the "defining" Superman artist question on here awhile back, though Swan's still a frontrunner. I mean, do we count JHW3, since he did that "Son of Superman" story awhile back and is pretty indisputably one of the greatest modern comic artists? Are we going by "this is the dude who drew the best that drew Superman", or is there some element of Superman-ness that varies from artist to artist regardless of quality that's being measured?

More importantly than any of that, just how the hell is Steve Rude not on there? Not to mention Darwyn Cooke or Kurt Schaffenberger? I get you can't have everyone, but those seem particularly conspicuous by their absence.

Whatever. Sticking to the list (though not giving an official vote), Frank Quitely, Alex Ross, Curt Swan, Stuart Immonen (his work on Secret Identity is super underrated), Gary Frank, Wayne Boring, Joe Shuster and Jose Luiz Garcia Lopez are the big ones for me.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The Super-Villains LIMITED COLLECTORS' EDITION had a cover by Dick Giordano, while the LCE cover with a lucky kid riding on the back of Superman was by Bob Oksner--Jack Adler probably photoshopped it with the Statue of Liberty. Oh wait, they didn't have photoshop--Adler had to mock all that up on his own using his skills as an artist and a photographer.

I probably saw Superman cartoons before I started buying Superman comics. That was in the '60s, so I was watching the Superman cartoons that used Curt Swan's illustrations as their model.

I think I was much smarter when I was a kid. Now my head is full of stupid notions. I have much more respect for what I knew when I was a child.
    Thanks for the reply and info, Jim. I love those Filmation New Adventures of Superman cartoons. I was a '70s kid and I didn't see those aired on TV back then. I discovered them in adulthood on YouTube, and the DVD sets released.
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

To me it feels like when a parent introduces some activity for their children, so the kids can have some structured play. Yet the parent fails to observe that the kids are fully capable of playing on their own and having their own fun--they don't need parental interference. Like I said before, this topic comes up all the time on the Superman forum--it's one of the most often posted topics. Superman fans don't need CBR to tell them how to have fun--they're capable of doing that all on their own. And the best thing is that when a fellow poster suggests this topic, she or he takes part in the ongoing discussion. As a parent, CBR never gets down on the floor and plays with us on our level.
    The forum is still here to use for members. That poll is just a little bit of fun slapped on the front page where you can vote in seconds, see the result and then move on.

No contest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    Jose Luis Garcia Lopez then Curt Swan a close second. Ed McGuinness and Dan Jurgens virtually tied for third.
    I went with Garcia Lopez as #1. He was awesome.

Retired

It's interesting to compare the way Frank Quitely drew Superman in JLA: EARTH 2 with how he later drew the big guy in ALL STAR SUPERMAN. In the earlier work, Quitely drew Superman as a big lunk--a modern version of how Mike Sekowsky would draw Superman (which is only right, given the subject material).

When ALL STAR was announced, I was preparing myself for this kind of Superman. But in ALL STAR, Quitely trims down his Superman. That Man of Steel still looks more like the 1950s Superman (of Wayne Boring) rather than the '60s Swan Superman or the '40s Shuster Superman--but he isn't quite the oversized Superman that Quitely had drawn before.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Lopez. Much respect to Curt Swan, but all he really has over other greats is longevity. Many artists on this list drew a superior Superman, however, in my opinion.
    And that is one of the reasons he should win; you don't get longevity without being fantastic and consistent (as well as easy to get along with).

Retired

Garcia Lopez is a great artist so anything he draws is going to look great. His Superman looks great, but I don't see anything in it that makes it Superman over any other character that JLGL would draw. His Superman is a heroic figure like all the other heroic figures. I feel the same way about a lot of the other Superman artists like Dan Jurgens or Neal Adams.

But with Shuster, Boring and Swan they each brought a specific philosophy to how they saw the character. Shuster obviously defined Superman--not an overly large figure, but tough and mighty, often juxtaposed against much larger objects and people--the wonder was that such a ordinary man could do such amazing things. Boring, after having drawn the Shuster Superman for many years, chose to redefine Superman--made him a head taller than Shuster's--and gave him that imperious Greek god aspect. Swan, after having drawn the Boring Superman for many years, introduced qualities that humanized the character. Swan's Superman was noble but kind. Where Shuster and Boring gave Superman squinty eyes--Swan gave him full, compassionate eyes.

Another Superman artist thread? I mean I literally just wrote on one a few days ago. Not complaining but ... I feel like I have a concussion or something. Lol!

My main time with Superman was from the age of 5 until I was about 30. I've picked up issues over the years & have read recent trades at the library but I'm not invested like before. I'm just checking in on an old friend that I used to know really well. It's just a different feel. Naturally, any picks I make will be older artists.

I can appreciate the skill many artists bring to the character. However, if I see a piece of Curt Swan art, I smile. His version looks like Superman to me. It's just right. My extremely close #2 is Garcia Lopez. Just a master. Byrne is 3rd. He brought so much freshness to the character.

The rest of my list would be Neal Adams, Perez, Schaffenberger, Dillin, Ordway, & Ross.

Amazing Member

Bump Lee up to the 2000s. For Tomorrow was released in '04, and Supes even featured some in Batman: Hush, which was incredible.

My head wanted to pick Joe Shuster, since he was co-creator, and came up with a wonderously imaginative visual concept, that costume, man! Once he had changed it up a bit, it basically stood the test of time.

But my heart, ever since I was a little kid... I realized, that the way I see Superman, is the way José Garcia-Lopez draws him. WITHOUT REFERENCES, GUYS!!

It's actually true... the man has PERFECT knowledge of anatomy and proportion, without reference-pictures. That is almost inhumanly difficult. I can tell you this, the list is short, of the people that can produce that realistic art, without reference. Think about that, for a while.

Otherwise, here are my faves in order:

1. Lopez

2. Byrne ( but only with Giordano on inks)

3. Quitely

4. Shuster

BANNED

I fail to understand why CBR conducts all these polls. What is the purpose of their study--will it lead to something? They certainly aren't using a scientific method. By predetermining which artists that people vote on they are skewing the results and their study is bound to prove baseless.
    I think you fail to understand that is not a scientific study neither an exercise in statistics, just a poll for fun and discussion.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    I think you fail to understand that is not a scientific study neither an exercise in statistics, just a poll for fun and discussion.
    I think you fail to understand that I was having fun, in my own way, by taking jabs at CBR and their polls. They have big shoulders, they can take it--if it was a real human posting and not a faceless corporate entity--I would probably never have framed my comments in that way. Plus: I've been binge-watching all the seasons of BONES and Dr. Temperance Brennan's annoying, analytical language is in my head these days.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I normally vote for Curt Swan but since he's a likely favorite to win, I'm going to vote for my second favorite Jose Luis Garcia Lopez (praise his name)
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark