Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Mike Mignola (Superman #23, November 1988):

In recent years Pat Gleason, Jorge Jiminez, and Ivan Reis.

From previous Superman artists:
    Curt Swan
    Dan Jurgens
    Jerry Ordway
    John Byrne
    José Luis García-López

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think you fail to understand that I was having fun, in my own way, by taking jabs at CBR and their polls. They have big shoulders, they can take it--if it was a real human posting and not a faceless corporate entity--I would probably never have framed my comments in that way. Plus: I've been binge-watching all the seasons of BONES and Dr. Temperance Brennan's annoying, analytical language is in my head these days.
    Whenever people bump up really really old threads that I posted to back then, I look at what I had to say before and I usually see I said everything I needed to say on the topic. When I posted the above quote, I was on a binge of BONES, my mother was alive, my father was alive, Barack Obama was POTUS, there was no COVID-19.

I can see that, as I said back then, whatever we're experiencing at the time influences how we express ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH View Post
    I had to go with José Luis García-López.
    came here to say this

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I dunno about greatest but, i like joe shuster, darwyn cooke, doc shaner and jack kirby superman.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-24-2020 at 11:37 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I can imagine Swan winning with Garcia Lopez not far behind. Aside from them I'm a huge Ordway fan. Jon Bogdanove is such a big fan and we're immensely blessed that his incredible range is so largely dedicated to Superman.

Definitely need to bring back the AoS artist hardcovers
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    In recent years Pat Gleason, Jorge Jiminez, and Ivan Reis.

From previous Superman artists:
    Curt Swan
    Dan Jurgens
    Jerry Ordway
    John Byrne
    José Luis García-López

Solid list.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Lopez, Swan, and Byrne for me, with Swan and Lopez switching positions depending on the year and my mood.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I go with Curt Swan too, and right now I am thinking of those old "Adult Legion of Superheroes" stories from around the time of The Death of Ferro Lad. Garcia Lopez for sure as well. Superman vs. Solomon Grundy from the Bronze Age especially!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    Jose Luis Garcia Lopez then Curt Swan a close second. Ed McGuinness and Dan Jurgens virtually tied for third.
    This is a pretty great list. I'd like to put Ordway, Byrne and Doc Shaner in there as well.
    Last edited by Robanker; 03-24-2020 at 10:28 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I can imagine Swan winning with Garcia Lopez not far behind. Aside from them I'm a huge Ordway fan. Jon Bogdanove is such a big fan and we're immensely blessed that his incredible range is so largely dedicated to Superman.

Definitely need to bring back the AoS artist hardcovers
    I guess, i am wierd because i don't particularly care for curt swan superman. His superman feels rather boring, There is nothing eye-catching.

I agree, Jon Bogdanove is commendable for his versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I had to give some love to Ed McGuinness. His work on Superman really revitalised my interest in the character after several years of pretty mediocre, lacklustre art.
    To the utmost, I agree. Will always be my personal favorite:

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-13-2024 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I guess, i am wierd because i don't particularly care for curt swan superman. His superman feels rather boring, There is nothing eye-catching.

I agree, Jon Bogdanove is commendable for his versatility.
    Swan reminds me of the old Art Institution commercials that used to run. He's basically from the first generation of comic artists but has an older style, going back to his own dad in observational sketchings of remote nature. His forms are dedicated to the natural to a fault. To where his aliens look like regular people in cheap paint and costumes. Kirby was about the same age but by the 60s developed his extremely elaborate and unique style, where Swan just kept tweaking the old style. He went from the cover guy to having more dynamic artists on the covers for his stories (though he drew at least two stories a month to be fair, so it was probably hard enough). BUT, I can't say anyone was more technically sound and his storytelling was so perfect. His Superman did become better looking with the times and he made great advances in drawing action when that became more important to the books. The most important thing was that he was a total juggernaut and drew practically everything for Superman stories for decades. With DC infamously even having him redraw the Kirby face.

It's sad that so much devotion to a corporate character didn't earn him much and that many are understandably like you in finding his work a little boring, but in some ways his Superman will never be topped.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

The truly crazy thing to me about Curt Swan is that back in the day when I was on the DCforums was just how much the guy was talked up. Guy was practically legendary and his name was tossed around so much I practically thought the guy created Superman or at least was in some respect the grandfather of Superman. I'm sure he sit somewhere in my top ten but I think I was always kind of more taken with Ross Adru, ********Lopez, Gibbons, and Ordway. The way those guys presented things jut clicked with me more.

On the other hand I would look at something like the scene where he meets Kara again and shows her around the FOS. He expresses such a range of nuanced inflections in Supes in the art, shock, horror, a sense of compassionate inner strength in the face of it all. You could look at his Superman and get a feel that without the tights he could be just another face in the crowd. It's some I think is part of the key to kind of nailing the feel of the character. If only there was someway to take Swan and combine him with one of the guys above.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I'm sure it is in no small part because it was when I got into Superman, but Tom Grummett is more or less the "default" image I see of Superman when I think of him. His issues in the Death/Reign/Return of Superman remain my favorite.

Beyond him, Ed McGuinness, Ivan Reis, Doc Shaner, and Darwyn Cooke are probably my favorites.