Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    An mo which may have not been one of the better/more popular approaches for Superman.
    That's not on kirby. is it?If company didn't want his style for superman. Then he shouldn't have been hired. It's similar to the zack snyder situation.

he draws mr. Fantastic like that as well. Mr. Fantastic looks more or less like clark. Square faced white dude who looks decent .it's fine if you hate the style,It's not for everyone. But, he can only do things his way. He doesn't need to copy another's.

Oh! Well, i prefer this to the redrawn stuff. The redrawn stuff was too generic for me. To each his own.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Anyway, more artists:

Alex Ross:

Dick Sprang:

George Tuska:

Gray Morrow:

Ian Churchill:

Jack Burnley:

Jesus Merino:

Jim Lee:

Jose Luis Garcia Lopez:

Neal Adams:

Renato Guedes:

Rich Buckler:

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Buckler is one of the guys I always just wanted to have a longer Superman bibliography. RIP.

At the top for me are Barreto, Simonson, and Gammill. I think it was his output speed that caused problems because he was like the perfect guy to come on after Byrne.

And here's Barreto, who almost seems thankless for all the awesome work he did in the seventies through the nineties. RIP

And since we're celebrating artists, might as well link this great resource for some of the older stuff

http://dccomicsartists.com/superart/Shustershop1.htm
    http://dccomicsartists.com/superart/bronzeAge.htm
    http://dccomicsartists.com/superart/IronAge.htm
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I love Buckler on the Superman Spiderman team up. I love Gil Kane's Superman too. I was hoping the big Byrne reboot would continue in that direction, especially the Braniac stories. Gil Kane's style changed so much from the 60s to the 70s. He was still amazing but all of a sudden he had these lines all over the place. His Green Lantern vs. his Spiderman stuff could have been two different artists.download.jpg

I really like this Moebius Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Wow, what a gallery of artists. Holy Cow! How many terrifying apocalyptic Superman stories are there? I thought I knew a few just from the late 60's and 80's, but these are all beauties. Superman is underrated as a classic Sci-Fi character.
    Sci-fi definitely lends itself to great creativity and imagery. I felt that Jack Burnley’s art for Action Comics #30 (November, 1940) definitely showed that:

I always like coming across later works from golden age artists, like some cool sketches from Burnley when he had the chance to draw pin up style. Superman #35 was also just a really great cover to speak of one thing.

Boring went at least forty years in professional work for Superman. I really treasure my copy of Secret Origins #1. His big bodied, "Grant from the side young Peck from the front" Superman of the silver age is iconic but the second half of the forties work from him is easily my favorite Superman before the late 60s.

Then it's like you can see the difference right there in 1950 with that analysis scene. The point where he'd gotten away from doing Shuster but didn't completely settle into his own style. I have my Sundays tucked away (today would have been the perfect day for them too) and I haven't looked over the comics really to see when he changed most.

Retired

I have a soft spot in my heart for Al Plastino as a Superman artist. He doesn't get a lot of appreciation, maybe because he was one of those journeyman artists who are overshadowed by the bigger names (kind of like how Irv Novick is overlooked).

Plastino adapted his art style to whatever version of Superman was in vogue at the time. His early Superman stuff was in keeping with the Wayne Boring style of the day, but I like his work more because it has a certain rubbery quality to it. Compare his work on "Superman Returns to Krypton," SUPERMAN 61, to Boring and Kaye's "The Origin of Superman," SUPERMAN 53.

Al Plastino was one of the first Superman artists I encountered and I could relate to the emotion of his characters. By that time, in 1967, his art was somewhere in between Boring and Swan. SUPERMAN 196 (the first issue of that title I bought), had a reprint from 1954 as its cover story, by Boring and Kaye (and it felt very old fashioned to me, even though I didn't know at the time that it was a reprint), while the back up story was "The Star of Steel" with Plastino art. The latter story was so much more expressive--Clark/Superman and Lyrica Lloyd had real passion on those pages.

After he was kicked off of Superman in 1968, he landed a job doing the Batman newspaper strip. Not the first (or the last) job he had on a syndicated strip, given he was the ghost artist for the Superman strip in the 1960s (later he was the artist for the Nancy strip).

Astonishing Member

Superman has had so many great artists over the years, I really can't pick. So many have brought so many unique and smart angles to his depiction. It's far easier to figure out the "worst" than to figure out the greatest.

Off the cuff though, I want to give a shout out to Bruce Timm's depiction from TAS - specifically TAS, I like the look in Justice League but think it's a little too glossy. And of course, Frank Quitely's inspired choice of a more relaxed Superman who radiates goodness. And Doug Mahnke - I think Doug Mahnke's Superman is seriously underrated, and showcased like, his power, in a way that's very effective. But I could list like 500 more, so I'll cap it there.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Yes indeed! I do love Superman Beyond for Doug Mahnke, and his Captain Marvel is unreal as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I can imagine Swan winning with Garcia Lopez not far behind. Aside from them I'm a huge Ordway fan. Jon Bogdanove is such a big fan and we're immensely blessed that his incredible range is so largely dedicated to Superman.

Definitely need to bring back the AoS artist hardcovers
    Yaaaaaaayyyyyyy ! There IS some Bogdanovic love in these pages!!

Curt Swan pretty much defined what Superman is supposed to look like even today Swan's influence is still felt.