Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Good review. I think Geoff Johns is one of those writers who really raises the bar, no matter what title he's on. While I think sometimes his name alone skews the sentiment of a title, he has a solid track record of living up to these standards. This reminded me a lot of Superman Origins, which nicely demonstrated in five short issues his full grasp of the character. This issue is another reminder and one I think sets a good tone for the future of the series.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    If you didn't like it that's cool, but:

1. We got an origin of a new character, a Titano appearance, more surrounding Jimmy and his parents, Clark potentially going back to the Planet, a "normal" Superman night and said new character showing up and helping Supes defeat an unknown enemy. Seems pretty good for 22 pages.

2. Johns was simply making the point that Clark seems like a loner because he isn't around much (or won't return calls as has been shown over and over). We know it's because he's Superman, while the other characters don't. I thought that was a great moment

3. This wasn't a one-shot. Pretty sure that will be explained - but I'm guessing they came from the "4th Dimension" and we'll see how. I believe this is a 6 issue arc

4. Agreed

5. What if that's all the characters knew? Pretty sure that will be explained too

I thought this was a solid start. My biggest complaint is that I'm tired of Superman analogues (Wraith is going on in Unchained right now if it ever comes out again). However, if this 4th Dimension is a set up for my favorite Imp from the 5th Dimension I'm cool with that.

Also, the 4th Dimension first appeared in Action #12 and has been used by Morrison (in Final Crisis), so Johns may be pulling from that history.

From DC's Wiki:

The Fourth Dimension is an abstract concept used in physics to identify and, when possible, quantify non-Euclidean space/time. Although it is a rare circumstance, it is possible for material from the Third dimension to physically pass through the Fourth dimension and navigate the environment as if it were a flowing tributary. In the case of living people, such individuals are referred to as time travelers. Like all realms of physics, manipulation of the Fourth dimension is adherent to a series of basic principles. Violation of these principles (such as using the Fourth Dimension to alter the past) often produces unwelcome, even disastrous results.

Timestream Cosmic Curtain
    A Pre-Crisis description of the Timestream.

A group of chrononauts known as the Linear Men are known to police the Fourth Dimension.

A major aspect of the Fourth Dimension is the concept of Hypertime. Hypertime is a super-dimensional construct, which (under very limited circumstances) can allow versions of characters from one continuity to interact with versions from another.

Residents
    Hourman (Matthew Tyler)
    Liri Lee
    Rex Hunter
    Rip Hunter
    I did say "felt like" even tho technically a lot did happen.

Always Rakzo

Pretty much what I was expecting. A good opening from Johns with a lot of sub-plots and promises for the future while still maintaining the same characterization that was established previously.

JRJR was the true problem here. His art looked pretty rough and unpolished at times.

I was kind of hoping that his art would at least try to look better than it has been for the past 20 years or more.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonofspam1972 View Post
    I was kind of hoping that his art would at least try to look better than it has been for the past 20 years or more.
    Well, let's call all of the words like "superstar" what they really are - homages to what the man did over 20 years ago. I would say that if his name wasn't credited, and people were just going by the work and weren't "supposed" to like it, most would think the art is middle of the pack DC if not lower. He still has good storytelling techniques and shows action well, but his faces are so similar, smushed and ugly that they are distracting (much the same way I often feel about Kuder, who is arguably a better storyteller and action shower at this point). With that said, it's fine and for me Johns is the attraction here

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

I really enjoyed the new team. Not a huge fan of JRJR but I enjoyed it. (would rather see him do Batman).

Liked the story a lot but the new character reminds me of the Sentry who I can't stand.

Overall I give it a B+. Great first effort and look forward to seeing where the new creative team will take our man of steel

The last thing i liked from JRJR was his run on Wolverine.