Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    That panel epitomizes the biggest problem with Bendis' writing: a complete disregard for past characterization that leads to frequent out of character dialogue and actions.

Victor von Doom had always been written with many character flaws, but speaking so coarsely was never one of them. Doom would never speak in such a manner, and I doubt he'd put up with hearing such speech. I suspect Bendis had recently watched The Way of the Gun and was attempting to emulate a bit of the opening scene outside the bar involving Sarah Silverman's character. That scene is on youtube. Fair warning that the language in that scene alone earns an R rating.

That being said, his Ultimate Spider-Man run is largely great. The most likely reasons are that he was world-building for the character, and he wrote him in character.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    That panel epitomizes the biggest problem with Bendis' writing: a complete disregard for past characterization that leads to frequent out of character dialogue and actions.

Victor von Doom had always been written with many character flaws, but speaking so coarsely was never one of them. Doom would never speak in such a manner, and I doubt he'd put up with hearing such speech. I suspect Bendis had recently watched The Way of the Gun and was attempting to emulate a bit of the opening scene outside the bar involving Sarah Silverman's character. That scene is on youtube. Fair warning that the language in that scene alone earns an R rating.

That being said, his Ultimate Spider-Man run is largely great. The most likely reasons are that he was world-building for the character, and he wrote him in character.
    Right. The problem with that Doom panel isn't the sexism, it's that Doom is talking like a thug from 42nd street or something rather than quasi-Hamlet-supervillain way he traditionally speaks like.

BANNED

i always love how his work feels more like a tv show .

He writes some truly great moments but some terrible stories. There a some good laughs, sometimes even moving pages, but the stories (at least the ones I've read) often don't add up as self contained units, let alone within accepted marvel continuity. His writing is best viewed as a series of brilliant twitter posts.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Right. The problem with that Doom panel isn't the sexism, it's that Doom is talking like a thug from 42nd street or something rather than quasi-Hamlet-supervillain way he traditionally speaks like.
    What "42nd street thug" says something like "whores heart"?

BANNED

he speaks like some realistic tyrant rather than a Hamletesque supervillain who despite being evil has always been a bit charming and charismatic and talks very intelligent.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    he speaks like some realistic tyrant rather than a Hamletesque supervillain who despite being evil has always been a bit charming and charismatic and talks very intelligent.
    A realistic tyrant doesn't wear plate armor

I think people forget that in many ways, comic book characters have no voice beyond what we give them. There is no inflection whatsoever. There is no tone of voice whatsoever. And there is no accent beyond what is phonetically spelled out (usually poorly).

That's why a certain way of speaking, or a voice for a character, matters. Because that's what sets them apart from the crowd. That's not always possible with every character no, but it was certainly possible in this scene, in this story.

When all is said and done, Bendis' characters all have the same voice, regardless of past characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    During Secret Invasion, he established that death was the only way to reveal the new skrulls...yet that's how he brought back Mockingbird (yes, I know later writers explained it)
    Why would this in particular be contradicting though? The Mockingbird that came back was the real one, and since the other one in Secret Invasion died and turned into a Skrull, that's how we realize she's real.

*checks comics again*

Yeah ok, now I get it - the Mockingbird that died *originally* did not turn into a Skrull - ergo why you have a problem with it.

Regarding her return though - as I recall it, the reason they brought back Mockingbird was apparently because either Jim McCann who wrote the "New Avengers: The Reunion" mini-series (which shows Mockingbird adjusting to the new MU) or one of the editors involved in the planning of Secret Invasion pushed for her return, since they were big fans, and saw this as their shot at doing it in a big, spectacular way. So that part may not actually have been on Bendis himself.

I'll see if I can find the relevant quote - it was either on Wordballoon with McCann or Bendis, or in one of the interviews for the Reunion miniseries.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Why would this in particular be contradicting though? The Mockingbird that came back was the real one, and since the other one in Secret Invasion died and turned into a Skrull, that's how we realize she's real.

*checks comics again*

Yeah ok, now I get it - the Mockingbird that died *originally* did not turn into a Skrull - ergo why you have a problem with it.

Regarding her return though - as I recall it, the reason they brought back Mockingbird was apparently because either Jim McCann who wrote the "New Avengers: The Reunion" mini-series (which shows Mockingbird adjusting to the new MU) or one of the editors involved in the planning of Secret Invasion pushed for her return, since they were big fans, and saw this as their shot at doing it in a big, spectacular way. So that part may not actually have been on Bendis himself.

I'll see if I can find the relevant quote - it was either on Wordballoon with McCann or Bendis, or in one of the interviews for the Reunion miniseries.
    When you establish 'rules' for a story, good writers keep to them or twist them in a cunning and logical way. Bendis did neither.

But even if that example wasn't on him, the whole of Secret Invasion was. The basic premise was that the skrulls have infiltrated everywhere (not really, despite how many God damn issues repeating that point?) plotting an invasion. Nick Fury went underground because of it, and is the cavalry in the second act with the Secret Warriors.

Yet it goes completely unremarked that the only superhero that he bothered to keep in contact with was a skrull herself. That had no impact on the plot whatsoever, though you'd think that it would be pretty important. For characters who were supposed to be the ultimate infiltrators...their infiltration didn't seem to amount to anything meaningful (no, crashing the helicarrier doesn't count. A kid with a slingshot could accomplish the same thing).

Empty is thy hand!

I care about continuity. Learning who these characters are and their history, and then looking forward to the next development in that history is what made me a fan to begin with. Bendis doesn't care about continuity.

I also love solid one-and-done stories. A complete story in one issue, with just enough teases to keep you coming back for the next issue. Bendis's stories all generally take 5 or 6 issues to get to the point. Bendis doesn't care about compression.

I also really enjoy the unique voices and characteristics of the individual characters. Cap doesn't sound like Hawkeye who doesn't sound like She-Hulk. Bendis typically uses his characters as a mouthpiece for himself, and they all tend to sound alike. Bendis doesn't care about unique voices.

I also really like a great climax, where story threads come together and the reader's attention is rewarded. Bendis doesn't care about solid endings.

Avengers Disassembled soured me immediately. House of M and the era following Civil War (which we're apparently still in) is what drove me away from Marvel Comics. And Bendis doesn't care.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

I hate him because of this.

https://richridernova.wordpress.com/...racterization/

Also this. https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forum...again-1870283/

He is an absolute joke when he works on sci-fi and fantasy themed characters, as others have said he doesn't care about how he portrays characters or continuity, One of his biggest failures and "crimes" is how he portrays thanos , he writes him as a one dimensional mustache twirling idiot with juvenile dialogue with no reference to his brains , cunning , technology, durability or others powers , he just uses him like a punching bag for heroes of any tier, even street level guys like Iron Fist and Spider-Man.
    From Avengers assemble arc , civil war 2, Gotg original sin tie in and the guardians of the galaxy #19 finale , thanos was not a developed character, he ruins him and its got to the point where NONE of his stories with thanos are even taken notice of and any showings are disregarded due to the complete lack of understanding of his power level and power set.

Gotg 19 was absolutely horrendous, a very poor structured story, more like a standalone non canon one shot , Modern Drax , gamora , Agent Venom and Thing and freaking Starlord gave him trouble, its really kind of pathetic how hes supposed to be a professional comic writer and cant even write comics characters properly, its really bad.

Though i didn't really started to ''hate'' him until he messed up Guardians of the Galaxy and Thanos. His Ultimate Spiderman and Daredevil stuff it's good but his Avengers run was pretty much a Luke Cage book with the Avengers as sidekicks and he Always had these issues with continuity since Avengers Dissasembled. He's a guy that should stick with street level vigilantes and never touch sci-fi and fantasy characters, and teams in general.

I wish he never comes back to Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    hahahaha that is so Doom. Those eyes get me overtime
    Ahahahah! Remember when Carol Danvers used to have dat ass?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    To be fair, the only writer who wrote Thanos the way Jim Starling did, was Jim Starling.
    Ron Marz and Keith Giffen were pretty faithful to Starlin's Thanos i think.

My take on his Avengers, which is was NOT a fan of, is that this was his first big "anything goes" superteam book and he couldn't learn how to write for that, instead bringing the Avengers down to the street level that he was better accustomed to. I've always felt, at least in the early years of his Marvel tenure, that Bendis really wanted to be writing crime comics but knew the money was in superheroes so he "settled" for that. I'm enjoying his Superman stuff now so I feel like he's grown past that, but most of his run on Avengers had to do with ninjas and organized crime (albeit super-crime) with none of the big outlandish spectacle that a team like the Avengers traditionally embraces. Even when he did move to things like Siege or Secret Invasion, it still felt lesser in scope, not as grand as it could be.
    Last edited by Kaijudo; 08-23-2019 at 10:17 AM.