Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I wish this were true. But she was dynamic and interesting before. That just fridged her, and pulled her from comics for seven years. She's never restored her status with the Avengers.
    Unfortunately, I never read Avengers prior to Bendis, so my only experience of her is from his run.

Any particular storylines I should check out?

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Unfortunately, I never read Avengers prior to Bendis, so my only experience of her is from his run.

Any particular storylines I should check out?
    Nights of Wundagore
    Vision and the Scarlet Witch
    Abnett's Scarlet Witch mini from the 90s
    Busiek's Avengers
    Robinson's Scarlet Witch

Those are the easiest to find and read, that are collected in trade.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Not for nothing, but Spidey has a long history associating with the Avengers. He had been a reserve member since the early 90's.
    OK. Lets repeat this again. Spidey was a FULL avengers for 3 issues in the nebula story BEFORE he became a reserve member. He was a member longer then the blasted hulk by that point! Also spidey has been on more teams then captain America and has teamed up with almost everyone in marvel team up! As for folks saying "spidey can't do cosmic" Half those team up stories had spidey in cosmic stories and some in space! Spidey was the one who used the soul gem to bring warlock back killing thanos the first time he died! The avengers and fantastic four couldn't beat thanos but it was Spider-Man who did!

Spidey was a FULL avenger before new avengers so you can't blame bendis for that.

You can blame him for throwing away history as he saw fit and messing up wanda for years however! (Lets not forget dr strange saying chaos magic is not real when he used it in past as well!)

His avengers felt more like the defenders also to the point nighthawk even calls them out on it!

I also hated he started the "avengers can kill" phase and killing skrull mockingbird who was helping them. It made hawkeye a heartless jerk plus he killed a ally helping them. I hated hawkeye for doing that.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 08-23-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    That just makes me think less of the readership.
    Agreed. Avengers Assemble and GOTG under Bendis were some of the worst continuity thumbing comics I've had the displeasure of reading.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Nights of Wundagore
    Vision and the Scarlet Witch
    Abnett's Scarlet Witch mini from the 90s
    Busiek's Avengers
    Robinson's Scarlet Witch

Those are the easiest to find and read, that are collected in trade.

Awesome thanks, I'll definitely check it out especially anything with Vision and Scarlet Witch together.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Agreed. Avengers Assemble and GOTG under Bendis were some of the worst continuity thumbing comics I've had the displeasure of reading.
    Well said and the less said about Bendis GOTG the better.

I think Bendis' Avengers was quite good up until the Heroic Age status quo started.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Not for nothing, but Spidey has a long history associating with the Avengers. He had been a reserve member since the early 90's.

Truth. Spidey has been a reserve member quite a long time... but always had that 'I'm too busy to be full time' or 'I don't want to drag you guys down with my rep..' excuses. People change their minds all the time. What he didn't think would work in the 90's now sounds like a good idea. I can work with that. I actually didn't have a problem with Spidey joining full time and WISH that they gotten Daredevil too as was originally planned.

Certainly not as out of character as Tony and Reed agreeing with registration or Cap working with Wolverine and Deadpool....

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    I also hated he started the "avengers can kill" phase and killing skrull mockingbird who was helping them. It made hawkeye a heartless jerk plus he killed a ally helping them. I hated hawkeye for doing that.
    THIS was my biggest problem. It was never Spider-man… it was Wolverine. He was over exposed already between every X-book out there and his own solos... and they go and make him an avenger too. And the great, grand reason that convinces Cap that a killer like Wolverine should be an Avenger?? When Tony tells him 'He can do the things that we can't or won't.... ' Basically Tony telling him that we needed a wetworks operative on the team... and Cap AGREEING with that?? Killing the Supreme Intelligence in a 'war setting' was wrong enough that Cap split the Avengers over... but now Hey, we need an assassin for the team?? Sounds legit!

Spidey was never my problem, but bringing Wolverine on the team?? That was just... Ughhhh…
    Last edited by phantom1592; 08-23-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    He only respects his own continuity and often failed to adhere to that

He called the Avengers bottom-feeders before disbanding them

He kills characters for sport instead of furthering the story and for attention

Jessica Jones' involvement with the team was 100% self-fan-service and nepotism of the highest order

He uses his own voice in lieu of writing characters as if they existed before him

A lot of the damage he did was written to be permanent or at least hard to undo ex. Having Cage impregnate and marry his pet character/having Doom impregnate that Perrara woman

He's, ironically, awful at writing women. I'm still angry about him having Carol Danvers cry in front of Norman Osborn. try to imagine Hawkeye doing the same.

I'm glad that he's gone. I wish they would erase all of his continuity and start fresh. One of Quesada's biggest failings was letting friendship influence his decision making.
    Why nobody talks about his nightmarish GOTG run? That's way worse than his Avengers stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Awesome thanks, I'll definitely check it out especially anything with Vision and Scarlet Witch together.
    Busiek Avengers also shows why 616 Ultron Is more scary and badass than MCU Ultron.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I liked it.
    I think his story and time on the series was done once he wrapped up Siege.
    We wouldn’t have a lot of what we have now without this run. It paved the way for modern era Avengers, imo.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    THIS was my biggest problem. It was never Spider-man… it was Wolverine. He was over exposed already between every X-book out there and his own solos... and they go and make him an avenger too. And the great, grand reason that convinces Cap that a killer like Wolverine should be an Avenger?? When Tony tells him 'He can do the things that we can't or won't.... ' Basically Tony telling him that we needed a wetworks operative on the team... and Cap AGREEING with that?? Killing the Supreme Intelligence in a 'war setting' was wrong enough that Cap split the Avengers over... but now Hey, we need an assassin for the team?? Sounds legit!

Spidey was never my problem, but bringing Wolverine on the team?? That was just... Ughhhh…
    I'd point out that was another issue with Bendis, he rarely paid attention to his own ideas. Wolverine having to do something unsavory on behalf of the team was never brought up again.

Or when The Hood gathered his gang. His speech is about avoiding petty vendettas, doing crime right, and what does he do? He assaults a registered hero, basically a cop (Tigra), so his crew can attack the New Avengers in revenge. Under Bendis, I don't think Hood's crew focused on committing a crime once, but instead wanted revenge on the New Avengers (though I may be mistaken)

If you prefer character-driven books, you probably dislike bendis for the most part
    If you like plot-driven books, then you may like bendis
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It is because of his Avengers, Guardians, and X-Men runs I am skipping his reboot of the Legion of Superheroes over at DC. The man has proven time and again his team books suck and it only gets worse when he tries to do "cosmic". The Legion are my all time favorite team and I have read every issue they have had, but because of past experience with Benids and team books I have no interest in seeing him ruin my all time favorite property.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    It is because of his Avengers, Guardians, and X-Men runs I am skipping his reboot of the Legion of Superheroes over at DC. The man has proven time and again his team books suck and it only gets worse when he tries to do "cosmic". The Legion are my all time favorite team and I have read every issue they have had, but because of past experience with Benids and team books I have no interest in seeing him ruin my all time favorite property.
    Well said, it's infuriating that he is now trying to also ruin DC Cosmic. He's like Chuck Austen.