Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Saffron View Post
    You know those laughably awful fanfics that are clearly written by 14 year olds? That's how Bendis' writing reads to me. Stilted dialogue, juvenile humour, cliches, blatant author insert characters, plot that go nowhere, and just cringe cringe cringe.

I wish comics would get professional critique, just as art in any other medium would. Right now, the writers don't get any feedback other than "you made X character do this. I don't like that. This story is bad!" because most readers don't have the depth of understanding of writing to be able to analyse and communicate why a story works or doesn't (I certainly don't). Even valid criticism comes off as fanboy whining and the editors/writers can brush it off without much consequence.
    COmics get professional critiques. THat's how Bendis got won his Eisners. Like any other art form there are critics, awards, etc.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    When was the last time editors had any teeth with the big names?

Honestly, I think as a whole the industry cannot recognize cause and effect. Rob Liefeild is still considered employable because he created Deadpool and Cable. Yet everyone ignores that it was later writers who defined the characters, and actually made them popular. All Rob can do is draw poorly designed feet. And so, so many pouches
    Don't forget giant guns and characters scowling all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Don't forget giant guns and characters scowling all the time.
    Re:Rob L. Not to mention every male character he draws looking a Belgian bull (the really muscular Oxen), and every female character that he draws having long, long legs...and no waist. Idk if this is a true story, but someone at a comic convention bought Robbie a " How to draw comics the marvel way" and gave it to Rob Liefeld. Since this is about Brian Bendis, in a perfect world DC would give BMB and Alex Maleev The Question (I'll give the devil his due, Bendis shines at writing gritty street level characters doing gritty street level things, The Question is in his wheel house), but it's not, and Bendis is writing Legion of Superheroes (the legionnaires playing 30th century poker and eating, awesome....yeah DC can keep him. Good luck DC
    Last edited by Blu_Spyder; 08-29-2019 at 10:08 AM.
    Meet the new Blu_Spyder,
    same as the old Arachne_Azure

"If Life doesn't give you some sugar to go with the lemons
    your lemonade is gonna suck
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Blu_Spyder View Post
    Re:Rob L. Not to mention every male character he draws looking a Belgian bull (the really muscular Oxen), and every female character that he draws having long, long legs...and no waist. Idk if this is a true story, but someone at a comic convention bought Robbie a " How to draw comics the marvel way" and gave it to Rob Liefeld. Since this is about Brian Bendis, in a perfect world DC would give BMB and Alex Maleev The Question (I'll give the devil his due, Bendis shines at writing gritty street level characters doing gritty street level things, The Question is in his wheel house), but it's not, and Bendis is writing Legion of Superheroes (the legionnaires playing 30th century poker and eating, awesome....yeah DC can keep him. Good luck DC
    Bendis raped Marvel cosmic it's only normal he also rapes DC Cosmic now. I love the Legion and Green Lantern, i should be more angry but recent Marvel stuff made me apathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Secret Invasion and Siege's endings were rad, tbh. Like Empire Strikes Back and a cooler Return of the Jedi. The weak points are in-between like his Mighty run or the Hood/Voodoo stuff.
    I'll always love Siege.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Secret Invasion and Siege's endings were rad, tbh. Like Empire Strikes Back and a cooler Return of the Jedi. The weak points are in-between like his Mighty run or the Hood/Voodoo stuff.
    I can give you Secret Invasion with Osborn killing Veranke but I thought Siege's ending was pretty underwhelming, especially with how the final fight with the Void (or lack there of) went.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can give you Secret Invasion with Osborn killing Veranke but I thought Siege's ending was pretty underwhelming, especially with how the final fight with the Void (or lack there of) went.
    And more than a little telegraphed.

"Norman is gonna snap!" x one million repeats.

...and yet, the heroes didn't seem too concerned about provoking him.

And more than a little telegraphed.

"Norman is gonna snap!" x one million repeats.

...and yet, the heroes didn't seem too concerned about provoking him.
    They probably wanted Norman to snap and expose himself as a nut job. Easiest way to get him out of power. It's not like the UNsnapped Norman wasn't trying to kill them anyways.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    They probably wanted Norman to snap and expose himself as a nut job. Easiest way to get him out of power. It's not like the UNsnapped Norman wasn't trying to kill them anyways.
    Again, they never tried to provoke him, never tried to expose his Avengers as criminals, etc. They simply sat on their hands until things blew up.

Bad guy with good PR is a hold over from an era that didn't have Youtube, and cameras and recorders you could buy at a dollar store. Bendis never bothered to make his story convincing, or even creative. I mean, Norman could have managed his own PR by hiring villains to make him look good, but never did.

Again, they never tried to provoke him, never tried to expose his Avengers as criminals, etc. They simply sat on their hands until things blew up.

Bad guy with good PR is a hold over from an era that didn't have Youtube, and cameras and recorders you could buy at a dollar store. Bendis never bothered to make his story convincing, or even creative. I mean, Norman could have managed his own PR by hiring villains to make him look good, but never did.
    So you wanted a Bendis to actually make sense?

I scoff at your idea of writing a sensible story. Scoff I say.

There were attempts. Spider-Man for example in Dark Reign the List. But ultimately because it's a comic book the PR stuff doesn't bring down the bad guy... it's the big hero battle.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    There were attempts. Spider-Man for example in Dark Reign the List. But ultimately because it's a comic book the PR stuff doesn't bring down the bad guy... it's the big hero battle.
    There were attempts by other writers, yes. Not by Bendis, who dedicated everything

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I'll always love Siege.
    I’ll always love Seige... of the Mansion.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's a fair criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    You're not wrong to.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Best part of Rogern Stern run.